“Not for faint of heart!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The English Rose / La Rosa Inglesa

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rincon
The English Rose / La Rosa Inglesa
You added The English Rose / La Rosa Inglesa to your Saves list
Carr. interior 413, km 2.0, Bo. Ensenada, Rincon 00677, Puerto Rico   |
Ranked #8 of 20 Rincon B&B and Inns
nj
“Not for faint of heart!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2008

The two access roads are steep and rather treacherous. You have very little visibility for oncoming vehicles and must honk your horn constantly. That having been said, the accommodations are very nice, the view is beautiful, and the breakfast is great. However, one should be forewarned--even getting from the office to your room is an adventure! The place is totally off the beaten track--if that's your thing, go for it!

Stayed March 2008

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2008

My husband and I have been going to Rincon, PR for over 10 years. This past June, we were taking a leisurely drive up the mountainside heading towards Pineapple Hills. That's when we first discovered Las Rosa Inglesa. We didn't actually stay at the B & B because we were staying with friends. But, I can tell you that we had breakfast there several times during the week. The owners are absolutely wonderful people. Mixing the English Breakfast with a Puerto Rican Flair is nothing other then supurb.
Can't wait to go back!

Stayed June 2007
London, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2008

I have stayed in a number of places in Rincon but this is definitely my favourite - the view is terrific, the couple that run the place are incredibly friendly (making my stay more personalised), the food is brilliant and the accommodation standard is excellent. I love the fact that I can just stroll out from my room to the pool which is surrounded by lush vegetation. I am definite that I will be returning (again and again!) soon. My only complaint: that last time I was there I could not stay longer!!!

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed November 2005, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Merseyside
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2007

Our holiday apartment at La Rosa Inglesa was nothing short of fabulous. The rooms were big, airy, tastefully decorated and - best of all - our terrace was a couple of yards away from a beautiful pool. The view from the terrace and from the pool is amazing. The hotel is situated on high ground looking down over a lush valley of palms onto the Caribbean Sea. It doesn't get any better than that!

The hotel's restaurant featuring breakfasts with an English theme, has proven to be a hit with the local community. However, although you can be sure of a good English fry up, the menu is far more inventive than that! My partner and I are both vegetarians and we were amazed at the options available. Try one of Jethro's Eggs Ruby Murray and die happy! And of course, the restaurant also has that view.

The hotel is run by a lovely young couple from England, Ruth and Jethro Wickenden. Jethro's mum is originally from Puerto Rico and Ruth is the English Rose! The service provided by them and their team was excellent. We highly recommend La Rosa Inglesa to anyone thinking of staying in Rincon, Puerto Rico.

lax
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2007

Many years ago, I had spent some time in PR, specifically around Aguadilla/Borinqen, and wanted to show my wife what, to me, was a laid back and relaxed part of the world. She had never been to PR so
we decided to make a short 3 day visit.

I specifically wanted a B&B on/near the PR west coast so that we could have a rental car sight-seeing day of it for exploration. I did
an internet search and contacted several via email. However, short response time (one day prior to departure) did not allow any of the B&Bs I contacted to respond...and many just didn't show calendars of available rooms. I did it the old fashioned way and, yikes...called on the phone.

Ruth, the owner of La Rosa Ingles, answered after a few rings and we made the reservation. I asked my wife to Yahoo Maps from SJU airport and, that is the only challenge we had. Yahoo just didn't want to get us there. They could get us close but, since this is a new property (opened 2 years ago after a 4 year building process), they just couldn't "Map It".

Once we had acquired our rental car, we called to let them know we would be late due to airline tardiness, and also to get some confirming directions. They told us that they would leave the key on the front door with directions to our room by the pool. This was the first indication of the laid back nature of the B&B and the area. We went directly to the B&B with no problems even though it was quite dark.

When we got up the next morning (La Rosa Inglesa is located atop a ridge) we were treated to a beautiful view of their small pool with the Caribbean in the background. The room/suite consisted of two rooms and a bathroom. The lounging room consisted of a kitchenette (which we didn't need or use), dining area with separate table and chairs, and a sofa with the satellite TV. The bathroom had a shower only, which was fine with us, and was stocked with the usual amenities. The sleeping room was the only room with A/C but the queen
bed was firm and comfortable.

The real treat began when we went to breakfast, which was included in our room rate. Jethro, is a true chef and Ruth, his wife have truly mde the Breakfast portion of "B&B" into an art form. The Bubbles and Squeeks were tasty and filling, but the homemade sausage and bread made the day. I had a curry hollandaise on my eggs that was wonderful. Plan to start your day(s) with a leisurely meal at this place, even if you aren't staying there.

Will I stay there again?? You bet!. And if they are full, I am going to make a special trip to have breakfast there. I will note that many people did make La Rosa Inglesa their Sunday breakfast choice even though they didn't stay there.

Ruth and Jethro, both Brit Expats, were extremely friendly and helpful in their recommendations on local events. We are looking forward to returning...Great hosts, great food and very reasonably priced "laid back" accommodations.

Cheers...Cstaln

• Liked — Breakfasts were amazingi
  • Stayed October 2007
San Juan / Caracas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2007

I stayed there for only one night but would have stayed the whole week, if I hadn't had to return to work in San Juan. It is a very modest bed and breakfast but everything is done in loving detail. the site is superb with a breathtaking view of the tropical forest and the sea. the breakfast is delicious and the rooms are very clean and tastefully furnished.

This is now my favorite place in Rincón. There really wasn't one before because many of the hotels there are overpriced and mediocre at best.

I hope they can keep up the good work and have enough guests to finance their operation in the future.

• Liked — the location and the facilities
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Puerto Rico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2007

Highly recommended. My wife and I are retired and we are taking 5 or 6 trips a year within Puerto Rico staying at small hotels, paradors or B&B's. This is the first time we have written a review. This place is simply the most noteworthy we have stayed at. Our room was spotless, the breakfast was wonderful (home baked bread !!), and the owners did everything possible to make our stay enjoyable.

• Liked — Cleanliness, attentiveness and the food
  • Disliked — cant think of anything
  • Stayed June 2007
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rincon
Villa Cofresi Hotel
Rincon Inn
Rincon Inn
#15 of 20 in Rincon
3.5 of 5 stars 63 reviews

Been to The English Rose / La Rosa Inglesa? Share your experiences!