“Good for the College-age crowd” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Beside The Pointe Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rincon
Beside The Pointe Inn
You added Beside The Pointe Inn to your Saves list
00677, Km 4 Hm 4, Carretera 413 Ramal | Road 413, Km. 4.4 Interior, Rincon 00677, Puerto Rico   |
Ranked #15 of 20 Rincon B&B and Inns
California
“Good for the College-age crowd”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2007

Great location, right on the beach, we chose the "Honeymoon suite" for $120/night. Had two balconies overlooking Sandy Beach. Beware of weekend partying on Fri/Sat and Mon.!! Most noise level ends around 2:00 - 3:00 AM! Restaurant on site very popular with young noisy crowds, chose to eat at different restaurants for dinner. The 3 Palmas on road 413 is outstanding!! Prices were reasonable and their desserts are out of this world! Club Bonnacord is subdued and has a tropical setting but very pricey! We went to Rincon thinking there would be surfing but ended up flat all around the area. A very dingy town, mostly for surf types. Take reef shoes as many beaches have reef bottoms. There are nicer and more family type resorts further in town. Hard to find a place to have breakfast (Punta's bakery at the top of the hill), as most places nearby only open for lunch and dinner. Rooms at the Inn were "adequate" and clean. "No maid service" available but you can exchange your dirty towels at the front desk. Everyone was nice and laid back. You will definetly need a car to get around!! Roads are very narrow and extremely hilly! By the way, although many places offer internet access, you "must" bring your own laptop. There isn't one place in town that actually has computers available to use. We ended up having to borrow the owner's laptop at this great coffee shop called "Surf's Up" in downtown Rincon. Their coffees and service were great!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Extremely noisy on weekends - Party atmosphere til the wee hours!! No noise restrictions...
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Malibu, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2007

My daughter and I stayed at Tamboo for several days and nights starting on April 2. The rooms are basic but very clean & spacious. The restaurant is well above average and the service at both hotel and restaurant is outstanding. Attitude and approach is not only relaxed and easy but also professional and accommodating.

We came to Rincon to surf and the surf in front was a beach break (hence the name, sandy beach) and usually blown out by the trades. However, several great world class surfing is within a 6 minute drive and we were able to hit it for head-high and overhead for our visit! Mellow crowd and localism is about as low key as you can get.

Punta bakery is an inexpensive stop for a quick breakfast, lunch or snacks to go on our way to surfing or back home. Additionally, they didn't laugh at my horrible gringo accent when I tried to order in Spanish. Quick note, 99% of everyone I met is bilingual.

I certainly recommend Tamboo Beside the Point!

• Liked — location and atmosphere
  • Disliked — nothing--liked it all
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Brooklyn, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2007

We just got back from Rincon, the tail end of winter surfing season can be a little hectic from what I've read. We stayed at the Beside the Pointe Inn and enjoyed ourselves. This bare-bones apartment-type set-up is very conducive to the lazy, just kickin it at the beach lifestyle. The kitchen was workable, the bedrooms were big, it was perfect for the 4 of us. The weekday nights were MUCH quieter than the weekend nights. During Friday and Saturday nights there was a mix of DJ and bands and people hanging out and whoopin it up until the wee hours. With a day full of sun, surf, and fun (plus Medalla Lights and Don Q rum) we were early to hit the hay and I woke up several times to the party'ers down below. All in all, I'd go back to the Tamboo. We were in #6, the 2 bedroom with 2 balconies.

• Liked — 2 bedrooms, kitchen, balconies
  • Disliked — Kitchen could've used more dishes, supplies, a grill
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2007

i stayed at this hotel with my boyfriend in november and was in complete heaven!

we are both in our mid-20s + he surfs + we were on a budget = perfection!

the place is basic, cute, not the best furniture at all but who cares when you're paying a minimal price to be a few footsteps away from such an amazing beach. at night the bar and restaurant is open til late. tamboo bar happens to be the "it" night spot of rincon. perfect that it's connected to the hotel. teh party comes to you.

my biggest complaint was the long haired waitress at Tamboo. she was such a flirt with my boyfriend! so disrespectful!

• Liked — location & spacious room
  • Disliked — flirtatious waitress
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Washington D.C.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2007

OK if you're looking for a place to stay near the beach. The rooms are pretty basic - bed, TV and bathroom. Nothing charming. There is a restaurant attached to the place. We had dinner there one night - it was OK, not great. We did see a whale frolicking in the ocean in front of us though. That was worth it!

Bands play here some nights of the week, so it can get noisy. Young surfing crowd, so if that's your scene, you might enjoy it more.

• Stayed January 2007
Nashville, TN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2006

It never ceases to amaze me how people can stay in the same hotels and have such different perceptions of the place. Tamboo Beside the Point Inn is such a place. I suspect much of it comes from the fact that the others here might not have experience with Puerto Rico hotel prices and therefore don't know that a $75-$100 beachfront hotel here is budget accomodations. Anything under $100 is hard to find and would compare to a $30-$45 room in the Yucatan for example. So I suspect that many people who book a room for $100-$150 at Tamboo Beside the point are expecting 4 or even 5 star accomodations since that is what they would get for that price in many other caribbean/mexican locations, but those who know Rincon and PR know it is not the same here. All that being said, this is suppossed to be a review, so let me do that. I stayed in late Sept. of 2006 and got my room for $75. First, I was given a coupon for 2 free welcome drinks at the Tamboo bar- a nice touch and not something I ecpected from a budget hotel. The nice front desk lady who booked me in was extremely helpful, cheerful, polite, etc. The owner of the hotel happened to be nearby and the front desk lady voluntarily introduced me to the owner and he was also very polite and said if I needed anything at all to let him know. My room was probably the worst location in the building since it was in the very back right beside the kitchen. However, with my door closed I couldn't hear any of the outside activities. The room itself was quite basic, but it was clean and had a good working remote control tv with satellite tv, a refridgerator (another unexpected perk), great working AC. The furnishings were dated and very rudimentry-I could understand some complaints about the thrift-store furniture, but come on...does furniture really ruin a place or a vacation? The decore was caribbean and cheerful, the room was spacious as was the bathroom. The showers do have the on-demand hot water system, but it provided me with all the hotwater I ever needed and certainly you don't have to worry about using up all the water in a tank under this system. Again, those familiar with PR hotels are used to seeing these, but I can see how they could be disturbing to others. For me, the very best part of this small inn is its location. As wonderful as Rincon beaches are, not all of them are great, big wave, sandy beaches. Those directly in front of Beside the Point ARE the best in Rincon and on the entire island of PR. Really. You'll see a lot of surfing directly in front of the hotel, which was fun for me to watch since I've not been around surfing very much. The best place to sit and enjoy the beach, the surfers, etc is in the Tamboo bar/restaurant. Again, I thought it was an outstanding bar. There was a pretty good number of people most of the time, but the atmosphere stayed civil and clean enough that even kids were fine eating there (it is also a sort-of restaurant). ANd while there was a festive atmosphere at night, I had no problems sleeping in my room which was just beside the kitchen, therefore near the bar. Last but not least, whatever the opinion of the inn, the rooms, the bar, the staff, the beach, and the amenities, I suspect even the worst reviewers of this hotel would agree it is located in the best part of Rincon. It's on a barely used little street, the area is remote enough to feel secluded and be slow=paced caribbean-ish feel, but still has another bar or two and at least one small restaurant within walking distance, and those are all unique, neat little places. If you need more info, e-mail me at sunnyspottravel@yahoo.com.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — room's furnishings
  • Tips/Secrets — negotiate rate if in off season
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2006

Tamboo/Beside the Pointe is, to put it nicely, not worth the money. Staff were at best, dismissive, and at worst, downright rude. Our room contained a coffee maker with some variety of crust in the bottom, and looked as if it hadn't been cleaned in about two years (much like the rest of the place). The handle on the sliding glass door to the "terrace" (translation, three foot square deck with one chair and a view of an empty lot full of trash)was only partially attached to the door, the smoke detector in the room kept beeping (apparently from a dead battery - after two requests to have the "staff" correct this, I pulled out the battery and threw it away), not only is there no maid service to speak of, fresh towels are not even provided, even when requested. Windows in the bedroom and bathroom are rusted and non-functional, so they either stay open or closed. Bathroom has a barely functional in-line water heater attached to the shower head that plugs into the wall a foot away (fear of electrocution while bathing was not on my list of holiday diversions) and dribbles a trickle of lukewarm water, at best. Hotel has no outdoor shower to rinse off sand from the beach, which combined with the aforementioned lack of maid service leaves piles of sand all over the room - there is not even a broom provided to corral the mess in a corner. Air conditioner sort of worked, but smelled like a basement that hadn't been opened up in about two years. Bedding appeared to be less than fresh - God only knows when the comforter was actually washed - I'm betting on never from the smell of it. Friday and Saturday night brought the annoyance of a band and DJ, starting around 11pm, loud enough to rattle the windows in the room - not pleasant, and like all of the other surprises, never mentioned by the staff during my pre-reservation inquiries. Food at the bar is somewhere below the quality of a bad chain restaurant, drinks at the bar are overpriced and watered down, the bar was out of limes for two days (how does a bar run out of limes, and why doesn't someone go get more?) wait staff consistently ignored us, requiring me to go get drinks from the bar, then gave me dirty looks for doing so - and the filth deposited around the bar (specifically on the beach) by the drunkards crowding in at night was never picked up - nothing like walking down to the beach past a pile of beer bottles, plastic cups, straws, plates last night's food, and what may or may not have been vomit - even the dogs wouldn't go near it. Hotel charges $5 per day for crummy folding chairs for the beach (again, never mentioned), staff have no interest in assisting guests with finding decent food or activities (inquiries were referred to the Rincon tourist map, conveniently on sale for $1.50, and generally of little use) I couldn't wait to get out of this hole - especially given the exorbitant price for what you get - do yourself a favor and stay elsewhere, Beside the Pointe really has nothing going for it...

• Stayed March 2006
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rincon
Lazy Parrot Inn
Coconut Palms Inn
Coconut Palms Inn
#7 of 20 in Rincon
4.5 of 5 stars 321 reviews

Been to Beside The Pointe Inn? Share your experiences!