“Lack of Repair and Maintenance” 2 of 5 stars

Horned Dorset Primavera
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Apartado 1132, Rincon 00677, Puerto Rico   |
Ranked #2 of 6 hotels in Rincon
Mayaguez, Puerto Rico
“Lack of Repair and Maintenance”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

We are just arriving from a three day stay at this hotel and we are totally frustrated with the experience. There is no maintenance at all. For example the general pool is extremely in bad shape, the private rooms pool likewise. When we open the wooden doors toward the interior pool terrace, they fell into the pool since the hinges were badly rusted. The situation was inmediately informed to the administration and for our surprise there was no maintenance staff neither spare hinges and/or money to buy new hinges. Finally a non skilled employee appeared with an old recicled/rusted hinge and it was installed to inmobilize the door. The grounds are abandoned as well as the hotel buildings. In fact the main terrace at the main building was constructed in cantilever, and although it is cracked and falling down, they have not closed it. The main gate remains open 24/7 since there is no employees and/or a mechanical system to keep it closed. Anyone can enter anytime to the hotel premises without being detected. If you want to compromise your security as well as spend a thousand dollars for nothing, visit this place.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
wohlsein, General Manager at Horned Dorset Primavera, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review, I did double check the door hinges, they are new, I do not know what to say same with the res. I wish you would have enjoy the facilities, like restaurant, bar, breakfast, lunch or dinner or sip a cocktail in the lobby overlooking the ocean. You stayed here for three days , two nights and you did not use any of the facilities of the hotel, I mean , zero, and being from the Island you are fully aware of the summer weather and what it can do to the grounds and gardens.

Rincon is a very safe place and we trust it will stay a popular spot to vacation for many people.

Best regards,

210 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013 via mobile

Great Villa. We think that we are in a MARRUECO Mansion. European Lights Privates Pool with Ocean View. Take the Breakfast in Front of the beach with ecxelent service. At night Cheff surprise you with a special dinner. Perfect with out Kids.

• Stayed July 2013
wohlsein, General Manager at Horned Dorset Primavera, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing with us your experience on your recent visit with us, yes we do love Morocco and it is so nice to see that it is being appreciated. It was quite amazing when we had 6 containers sitting in front of the hotel during our remodeling process with in the last 5 years and we are celebrating 20 years with Relais et Chateaux.

We are looking very much forward seeing you back again and enjoy.

Rincon, Puerto Rico.
San Juan, Puerto Rico
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

Five years ago, my wife and I stayed at the Horned Dorset Primavera. Back then we loved every minute of our stay in this formerly ultra luxurious property and recommended the hotel to all of our friends. With the impending birth of our first child, we chose the Horned Dorset once more for our baby moon. From the moment we arrived, we were severely disappointed. The hotel is dilapidated. Our stay felt like we were about to witness the imminent funeral of this once grand property. All the manicured lawns from five years ago have been lost to weeds and neglect. Most building walls show serious cracks. The walls of the private pool at our villa (Villa #25) screamed for a repainting. The hand painted tiles that adorned the pool's rim are mostly covered in whitish minerals. We found termites (comején) in the shower. The bed's canopy showed water stains. The faucet's handle in the villa's main bathroom came off the moment my wife turned on the water. The tub's faucet spilled water continuously all over the bathroom while in use. Most of the furniture in the common areas is in bad shape or missing parts such as handles, knobs or pulls. At this point the hotel has a skeleton staff that can barely keep it in working order. Breakfast and lunch were generally good but nothing to rave about. We avoided having dinner at the hotel since we felt that an $80 per person prix fixe dinner was a bit steep given the poor state of the hotel.

I would not recommend this hotel to anybody until the management decides to remodel the property. Perhaps, for the time being, it should not be part of the Relais & Chateaux list of luxury hotels.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Reading your review I realize that our hotel is not for everyone as we are at a certain price level and a bit difficult for some to enjoy. I am sorry that you were not able to experience the hotel and its amenities to its fullest.

Wishing you and your family all the best.

Rincon , Puerto Rico
Guaynabo, Puerto Rico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

This is the perfect hotel for a couple's weekend getaway. The villas have everything you need. The hotel is beutiful and the service is great. The views are breathtaking and the pool is gorgeous. Recommended!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
wohlsein, General Manager at Horned Dorset Primavera, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of your recent stay with us.

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay in our property and look forward welcoming you again in the not to distant future.

Best regards,

the Horned Dorset Primavera
San Juan, Puerto Rico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Just came back from a weekend getaway with my wife, and it was truly a memorable one. Full disclosure.. I work in hospitality and I can be very critical when I stay at a hotel or resort, as I know how things work and what could make them better. However, this was not the case here. At the Horned Dorset I just flowed with the soothing and relaxing atmosphere from the moment I arrived, and it truly mesmerized us up until we drove home (yes, I am a local). The place just has that type of enchantment, which made us want to experience every bit of it. And that we did.. starting with the suite itself.

I could post many pictures I took of this beautiful, two story residence, but why bother? I can assure you that it looks exactly as perfect as all the pictures you see on this site or the rest of the internet. It was gorgeous, and everything was in full working order, which is a big plus considering the amount of time we spent there. Yes.. when not going to get something to eat, we spent our time in the suite. It had everything we could possibly need for my wife and I to relax and enjoy each other's company. The oversized bathtub was perfect for our first night, when it was cloudy and drizzling outside. The bed is exquisite and very romantic, along with the rest of the Moroccan themed furniture and design. I guess the highlight of the suite was the private plunge pool and patio which made our days, afternoons (and sometimes evenings) so much fun. I think the temperature is controlled in these pools because we went for a late night dip after dinner and the water was nice and warm when outside was a little chilly for island standards. Overall, you stay here for the suite, and ours was flawless.

The food was also exquisite. We had breakfast and lunch at the main dining areas and all meals were consistently delicious and came with good service (and reasonably priced too..). For breakfast, I would recommend the egg white soufflé omelet and their cappuccino, as both were highlights of my morning meals. We had dinner at Aaron on our second night, and the food was excellent, although a little pricey. However, we really wanted to go because of their soufflé dessert. It is rare to find hot soufflé served on the island, and that night, we treated ourselves with pistachio soufflés which were nothing short of perfection.

The staff itself is very friendly and eager to please. This was my experience with everyone we came in contact with, and especially with the General Mgr., Mr. Sack, who is very visible and accessible on property.

What would make my experience better? Well.. very little, but perhaps slightly stronger WiFi signals in the reception area. I did not really have the need to connect in my suite, but one late evening I had to go to the common area to read the news and send some personal emails. Yes, yes.. I know.. why am I doing emails in paradise? Couldn't be helped.. :)

A big "thank you" to the Horned Dorset from my wife and myself for such a unique experience. We will certainly be back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
wohlsein, General Manager at Horned Dorset Primavera, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your experience on your recent visit with us.

I appreciate your comments and will pass them on to our staff and coming from a peer in the industry it makes it kind of very special.

It was very nice having you here and we are looking forward seeing you back again.

Horned Dorset Primavera
Sylvania ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

I am having a difficult time trying to put in words how beautiful and tranquil this hotel is. Writing this, I am sitting on my balcony listening to the waves crash, looking at the lush greenery, hearing the sound of birds chirping and looking at the most beautiful rainbow that seems to belong just to me! I want to cry from the beauty of it all.

From the minute we arrived I had been transported to a world of luxury, grace and privacy. The staff is wonderful, the service top notch. I can honestly say the Manager, Wilhelm Sach is the heart and soul of this place. My son has been talking about this wonderful human for over a year. Meeting him was like meeting a very good and old friend. I completely understand the fondness my son has for this special and gracious man and this magnificent place. He bent over backwards to make sure we were comfortable and happy. He accomplished it.
The food was speculator and i will be thinking of the Beef Wellington for years to come.
I can't say that i will be back one day because i believe I have left a part of myself here.

Thank you for an experience I will cherish for the rest of my life.

Nancy Youssef

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
wohlsein, General Manager at Horned Dorset Primavera, responded to this review, June 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and for sharing with us your experience of the beauty seen around here, as we living here take it for granted every so often.

From time to time guests ask me, if I still see natures richness all around us from the flowers, fauna, birds and the endless ever changing ocean, and in good faith I can say , yes, it still inspires me.

We truly enjoyed having you and your family here and I was very happy to meet you in person as I heard so much of you from your son who is a regular guest here at the hotel.

I am wishing you a wonderful, wonderful summer and looking forward seeing you back again to our little oasis.

Nyack, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Really as close to perfect as a hotel gets. We had a luxurious two story suite with its own pool overlooking the ocean, with easy access to an infinity pool which was frequently empty, as was their private beach (we went off season in July). It was just such a relaxing experience, and having such a fabulous restaurant on the premises made it even more so. I travel often and enjoy visiting different places but this is one of the few hotels I have visited I would absolutely love to return too. I got a package deal on luxury link which made this normally very pricey hotel fairly reasonable and well worth the price we paid. Also love Rincon and Puerto Rico and look forward to returning there soon as well. Go and enjoy!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
wohlsein, General Manager at Horned Dorset Primavera, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments on your visit with us and for your affection for Rincon and Puerto Rico.

We are a little bit off the beaten track and one can still find peace and quite , great food and peace of mind in this secluded part of the Island.

We are looking forward having you back again and please let us know if there is anything we can do for your on your next visit and help to create some precious memories.

Rincon, Puerto Rico

Been to Horned Dorset Primavera? Share your experiences!