“Great retreat/Babymoon” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Rincon
Birmingham, Alabama
“Great retreat/Babymoon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

we stayed only 2 nights back in early Sept (labor day weekend). The property was fabulous, almost felt like we were the only ones there at times. The staff we met were all excellent and the service is top notch--ask and you shall receive. Did not eat lunch or dinner on site as formal restaurants do not appeal to us and the casual restaurant had a very limited/boring menu. Breakfast however was a winner, especially when we took it on our private balcony next to the plunge pool. We had unit #1, which was stunning. Great view. Great furnishings inside. I cannot imagine a better place for a relaxing honeymoon, babymoon, or any other get away. The only downside of the villa was the shower--took long to heat up, and when it did it was scalding hot. Its not really a place for kids, but a family was there when we were an the kids seemed to be welcome. There are kayaks and snorkels and other such things on site included for recreation. The one thing about Horned Dorset that didnt knock my socks off was the grounds. I guess I'm used to the immaculate landscaping you see at Disney hotels and the like, but things just seemed overgrown and a bit unkempt. I guess its just the "natural" look they are going for, but in any event, the beauty of the rooms overlooking the water and stunning sunsets more than made up for it.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
wohlsein, General Manager at Horned Dorset Primavera, responded to this review, November 24, 2012
Dear Guest,

I read with great interest your comments and I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us .

I have shared your note with all our staff to constantly improve the service provided to make any stay memorable. I love your word "Babymoon"..

Wishing you all the best for the upcoming holiday Season and looking forward seeing you back again.

Rincon, Puerto Rico

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
San Juan, Puerto Rico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012 via mobile

The Horned Dorset is legendary in Puerto Rico for its luxury, the quality of its service, it's food... and for being the perfect setting for a honeymoon or a full decompression. It is all well deserved. We stayed at a villa in the Residences part of the hotel. It has two bedrooms, a kitchenette, it's own private pool and patio, huge living room and upstairs bathroom... it is truly luxury to die for. From the marble floors and walls, to the Mozarabic furniture and decor, to the sumptuous king-size bed, the eight-showerhead shower, the huge bathtub, the discrete patios, balconies, lush vegetation... If you want to forget all your worries and truly rest or be intimate with a loved one, this place will wow you, pamper you, and -should you chose to eat here, please your tastebuds. The food is stellar.

However, besides some of the limitations already mentioned elsewhere (a very small coastline that has mostly eroded and leaves very little of a beach strip to use, and not an optimum one at that; no TV, limited cellphone signal -and cellphones are a no-no here), I do have two issues to mention. The place is starting to show its age. It needs a bit of a refresh. Our villa's wooden flooring needed a refinish, the lighting in the vanity mirrors and the bathtub's drain plug would not work, the building's exterior needs a paint job. (Cleaning up the patio furniture and keeping the grounds a bit better manicured won't hurt, either). The gym just looks unkempt. So is the beach strip to the south of the facility.

OTOH, the service, while kind and very attentive, tended to relax a bit in quality when it became obvious that we were locals. I wasn't offended by the lower standard 99% of the time (except for one of the servers in the restaurant, who perhaps teased us a bit to break the ice and came across as a bit patronizing as a result), but I do believe they could be a bit more proactive when fixing the little quirks we found here and there. This place runs against very high standards. Guests don't deserve any less, no matter where they come from. Otherwise, give this place a refresh, and it will be worth every penny.

• Stayed November 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to express your expierence of your stay with us.

I very much apprecite your glowing comments and at the same time take your other comments very serious to improve and to stay "The Luxury Hotel" in Puerto Rico. As you might imagen, being from the Island, it is always a challange and an on going effort.

We are looking forward seeing you back here again and wishing you all the best for the upcoming Holiday Season.

all over
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Yes, Yes, and Yes. This is one of the best properties all year (I have been to a lot). Long story short - I escaped to PR after my house got flooded on Long Island. I stayed at 2 other properties (including the St Regis) and this was the best one.

First off, you're in Rincon. As a surfer of over 20 years , this location was perfect. I would get up every morning, go surf, come home, go swim, repeat. The perfect routine.

The property itself is great. While I didn't spend much time on the grounds, I will refrain from making a comment. I will tell you this - the rooms were very nice and each room comes with a private plunge pool. Can't go wrong there. The Horned Dorset is a smaller property so the attention to detail is impeccable and every employee is very friendly.

Good place. I have traveled to PR over four times this year and this was my favorite hotel.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your note on and we are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and looking forward welcoming you back again.

It is always good to get feed back form our guests to fine tune our hotel services even more.

Best regards,

rincon, Puerto Rico.
Hoboken, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I recently stayed at the Horned Dorset Primavera with 4 friends for a long weekend. We had such an amazing time. Each hotel suite is private and quiet, the views are great and the service was always friendly. The private pool was our sanctuary for two days as the beaches were too rough due to the recent hurricane. The suites are decorated beautifully. We had breakfast and lunch and the food was great. Not cheap, but very tasty. We ate dinner one night at Shipwreck which is a must.

The only thing I would recommend is to perhaps stock up the suites with more plates/silverware and coffe/tea. Also an iPod dock would have been useful.

I would highly recommend this resort.

Room Tip: Request ocean front
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
wohlsein, General Manager at Horned Dorset Primavera, responded to this review, November 10, 2012
Dear Guests,

Thank you for your comments and for sharing with us your expierence on your recent stay with us. I truly enjoyed meeting all of you young ladies and it is wonderful to see your appreciation.

It always makes me very happy to see young people enjoying a classic retreat like ours and see the details of the work put in to the hotel.

We are looking forward seeing you back again and best regards to all of you beautiful ladies.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

Staying there this coming week. So far the booking has been very lovely. The manager has replied to emails very promptly and with great kindness. Looking forward to a great stay and will update after. Sometimes what happens before your arrival is more important than anything else.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

If you want to just chill....be by a pool....have great meals....and not interested in being around hundreds of tourists, this is the place. I love it ! A nice little ride from San Juan, but even the ride to the Horned Dorset was a part of the trip and a positive one. Once there, you can just totally chill.....I did not use my phone......I did not email anyone... I relaxed by the pool with a glass of wine.....and just relaxed. I mostly read and talked....and had a great meal with friends each night. I wasn't looking for tourist attractions....but just an out-of-the-way place I could get away and rejuvenate myself. The rooms were top of the line. The staff was great..cordial and friendly. As I said.......I love it !!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
wohlsein, General Manager at Horned Dorset Primavera, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Dear Guests,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know what your escape to our hotel meant to you and I thank you for sharing it with us.

We are very pleased that you enjoyed your time here and please let us know when you will return to our shores.

Best wishes,

Horned Dorset Primavera
Rincon, Puerto Rico.
San Juan, Puerto Rico
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

Since we arrive to PR 5 years ago, we always wanted to visit, finally this week we had the chance of doing it. I must say our expectations were high because previous experiences at other Relais & Chateaux properties. So far we are disappointed, we drove to the hotel, you would expect a lot more signing, feel sorry for people not familiar with the area. At our arrival the young man that showed us our villa, didn't offer to carry my bags, until my second trip to my car to get the rest of our luggage. Once in our villa we noticed there was no Coffee maker, or water, we asked for all this and were told we could get the water from a cooler next to the pool and coffee will come the next morning when the cleaning crew arrived, actually a nice young lady came with the coffee a while later.
Another disappointment is the lack of maintenance of the grounds, the little garden facing the ocean hasn't been touched in a while.
I must say the location and the buildings are beautiful, people are nice just not what you expect in one of this properties.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for ocean view.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
wohlsein, General Manager at Horned Dorset Primavera, responded to this review, October 20, 2012
Dear Guest,

I do recall your arrival, when you complained as soon as you walked in the door about the singage on the roads, and complained about the gardenview suite booked and given to you and requested and wanted ocean view, upgraded at a special rate and as soon as you walked in the suite overlooking the ocean you complained about no coffee maker and on it went.

The past months we had a limited special offer for local Residents and you booked two back to back midweek day stays, We had many wonderful comments and guests here enjoying the Hotel and the Restaurnat , being a big part of any Relais et Chateuax experience, unfortanelty you were not able to take full advantage of it. The same company featuring us has many other hotels in different price categories and styles and more exposed areas and I hope you find some thing to your liking in the future.

Best wishes,

Rincon, Puerto Rico

Been to Horned Dorset Primavera? Share your experiences!