“Peaceful and picturesque” 5 of 5 stars

2734 Calle 8 | Com. Stella, Rincon 00677, Puerto Rico   |
Ranked #7 of 20 Rincon B&B and Inns
“Peaceful and picturesque”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

My boyfriend and I booked two nights at the Coconut Palms Inn and could not have been happier with our experience!

Our room was more like an apartment- queen bed, private bathroom, separate living area with TV, futon, mini fridge, coffee pot, dishes and microwave. The Inn is right on the beach and sunset view is amazing. We didn't use the outdoor cooking area, but a nice grill and kitchen area were available alongside a patio great for star gazing, an afternoon drink or hanging with friends.

The inn keeper, Angel, was incredibly helpful and always stopped to chat and make sure everything was going well during our stay.

If you are looking for a resort, the Coconut Palms Inn is NOT the place for you. But if you are looking for a quaint, beach front place to stay and enjoy the tropics and the peace and nature that goes along with it, definitely check this place out.

Also, a previous commenter mentioned the parking situation. While there is no parking lot for the Coconut Palms Inn, there is adequate parking on the street in front of the Inn and we never felt that our rental car was in any danger considering the proximity to the front office.

We try to visit Puerto Rico every year or so, and we are so happy to have a place like the Coconut Palms Inn that we can return to!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012 via mobile

I recently came to coconut palms with a group of 15 for almost two amazing weeks. I felt so at home and like I was truly on a vacation. I felt well rested and relaxed every day and I attribute this to the picturesque beach and the overall pleasant experience at coconut palms. The business is well run, efficient, and professional. You'll have everything you need at a reasonable price. I will, without any doubt, refer anyone going to the area to check out coconut palms.

• Stayed June 2012
Asheville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

We decided to spend a couple days in Rincon after many days in San Juan. What a wonderful escape from the hustle and bustle of the city! The inn is full of relaxing and inviting areas: gardens, ocean front patio, outdoor kitchen, and a gorgeous beach front.

Every guest was warm and friendly; a pleasant change from the fast pace of the city. The owner went out of her way to be welcoming and offered excellent recommendations for food and social night life that was exactly as she described them.

All employees were fabulous and courteous. We WILL return for a much longer visit in the future. If you prefer an anonymous experience, this is not the place for you. This environment has the feel of a very large southern home where greeting others is the standard and hours of conversations with other guests can happen in a moment's notice.

After reading another review, it is important to understand that the accommodations are not shiny and modern but are very clean and comfortable. We wanted for nothing, the shower was fabulous, and the air conditioning worked Very well. Wifi was a great perk as you sit in the glorious garden for the best signal!

Did I mention we were about 20 steps from the beach for less than $100 dollars a night!?!?

Room Tip: We stayed in seahorse & tropical fish rooms which are garden side. They were quiet and wonderful...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Gainesville, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

The Coconut Palms Inn was the first hotel my three friends and I stayed at in Puerto Rico and it couldn't have been a better place to start our vacation. The hotel is literally on the beach and Gail, the owner, was the best hostess. The hotel has a gorgeous garden for relaxing, a fun deck to watch the sun set and The Pelican room was perfect for the four of us. I have no idea why any one would write a crummy review of Coconut Palms Inn other than they are just really nit-picky and will find anything to complain about. This hotel was fun, friendly, clean and safe! I highly recommend Coconut Palms!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Miami, Florida, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

Let me start by saying I don't like to write negative reviews. But as a regular user of this site to research and gather information for upcoming trips planned and booked, I think it's important to share honest input to aid future travelers considering a destination. This is a resubmission of an earlier review I wrote but apparently broke some guidelines in that review. So rewriting it, and normally I would never take the time to do so but feel strongly that the information may be helpful to future travelers.

My family and I returned from a trip to Puerto Rico in late March 2012. We stayed in the Parrot Room at the not-inexpensive $181.00 Dollars a night, and seeing the room, I quickly realized that the room wasn't worth the asking price!! So informed the staff that we would only be staying one night. Would have looked to cancel and get a refund, but Rincon is small town and finding another place that night would have been a major hassle.

Coconut Palms Inn's website has photos of their garden and a distance shot of the property from the ocean side. That distance image of the main house makes the property seem secluded on a strip of beach. It's not! The property is located in a 'Puerto Rican locals' lower middle class neighborhood. By no means, is it on a secluded beach. The other glaring omission on their website is there are NO PHOTOS OF THE ROOMS?!?. That should have been a trigger for me to question, but I missed that. Our room the Parrot Room was rundown, and filled with tired, broken, stained and rusted collection of Salvation Army reject furniture. Please view my photos to see examples! Make your own call on what you see in the images being shared.

It was three of us, my wife, son and myself. The Inn had supplied a set of cheap sheets for my son to sleep on a old, tired, ugly sofa. It was completely inappropriate, especially given that I had made the reservation months in advance and made clear that it would be three of us. That sofa was something you might see left out on a curb being throw out. It reminded me of something college kids would find and take back to their dorm suite. There was NO WAY I was going to let my son sleep on that. It didn't fold out or anything like that. We eventually got a cot but it too was a rusted piece of old hardware and the so-called mattress was towel-thin and disintegrating. It was really a TERRIBLE sleeping surface. The sheets that accompanied that mattress were again tired, cheap and should have been thrown out at least a year ago!

Other major minuses were that TWO AC units were BROKEN and didn't WORK! Judging by the condition of the units, I'd bet they haven't worked for quite some time!! And have been left in disrepair. We were then supplied with a RUSTED OLD FAN (see photo) as a replacement. It was rather ugly and skimpy, again a poor impression on the location.

Now, I don't mind roughing it BUT NOT FOR $181 DOLLARS A NIGHT!!! And especially when it comes to my wife and son. I think for that asking price simple things like working AC units in a tropical climate should be a given.

We could have opened the metal shutters to allow ocean breeze into the room BUT there are NO SCREENS ON THE WINDOWS, so the room was LOADED with MOSQUITOES!! We found ourselves slapping our legs and arms within minutes of walking into the room. There was NO WAY we could sleep with the shutter/windows open!! That didn't help with our initial feelings about the room.

The bathroom was filled with RUST and was dingy and not at all inviting. VERY LOW BUDGET!! Even the tile on the floor was mismatched! To my eye, it appeared that if a tile cracked they just replaced the cracked tile with whatever they had. Again, if I had paid a motel rate for the room, I could overlook that but not at the room rate they charged me.

The kitchen just continued with the low quality fixtures that should have been retired long ago. All parts of the room were poorly kept and not well cleaned. The sink had dried soap scum and residue. It was unnerving.

The primary full size bed in the bedroom was NOT LEVEL!! It slanted down at the head of the bed. Everything from the curtains to the headboard to the drawers were tired and poorly fitting.

The patio furniture outside the front door was rundown and the cushions were completely flat and needed to be replaced. Yes, the room faced west into the setting sun and the view is pretty.

The property is narrow with a residential neighbor on either side. The back patio is nice but and the evening we were there a group dominated the space, so that frankly no other guests could use it without feeling like they may be encroaching on that group. The deck while nice, isn't large enough to accommodate more than one group entertaining. The garden area is attractive and there are little nooks to take a good book and disappear. The neighborhood felt generally quite.

The better places to eat in Rincon are on the other side of town by the hills of Hwy 413 and Maria Beach (the Surfer's beach). Outside the front of the property is narrow local's street with chickens and stray dogs and cats running around. You also have to park your car outside on the street AT YOUR OWN RISK! If you are renting a car like most visitors, it's concern as you don't want to deal with the issues of your window being broken into or car scratched. We were constantly warned by locals not to leave the car parked on the streets overnight. No peace of mind there.

Rincon is more of a laid back town with a mix of relocated Americans that live to surf and a local Puerto Rican population that live and work as much of the rest of the island do. It's not a resort-type destination town. Everything is generally simpler.

In my humble opinion, the Coconut Palms Inn needs to invest in repairing, refreshing and replace all the broken and rusting furniture and fixtures in the Parrot Room. I can't comment on the other rooms as I didn't see them. But for the price of $181 after taxes for the Parrot Room, I anticipated a much nicer and cleaner room. It was disappointing and a poor value.

It's not enough to just have beach front access again in my humble opinion. The property has potential and it is laid back. This is not a luxurious destination. I would encourage you to view the images, visit their website and do some homework on Rincon. We liked the town, and did get out to surf (why we went). But I do feel the room was considerably more expensive than it should have been and there were too many basic amenities that were broken or appeared unaddressed for quite some time.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
, Owner at Coconut Palms Inn, responded to this review, July 6, 2012
My husband and I own, operate and live full time at Coconut Palms Inn on the beach. I, Gail, was the person who took your reservation. My name is all over our email communications & the confirmation package that we sent you, on the door signs in every room, everywhere. Our assistant checked you in, but I am confused as to why we never met you, given all of your complaints. Why didn't you ever ask for me or my also available husband? On the very rare occasion that we have a guest issue (read above and below, people love this place!), we are highly available and the first ones contacted. I was aware when you arrived, because I saw you in our garden courtyard and you were obviously annoyed...not a common look in my garden. I heard you complaining because you wanted to check in several hours early, we could not do it. We are fortunate enough to be so popular & busy in the summer & winter as to book our reservations back to back. Our guests have until noon to check out, then we have until the 3pm check in time to clean. Your confirmation clearly stated that check in time is at 3pm. You were having a bad day, said you got lost, wanted to get in early and couldn't, etc, so we gave your unit priority and did get you checked in a little early. We have had this place for many years and have found that, sometimes people are just tired from traveling, need to settle down and relax. We always give everyone the benefit of the doubt. That was not good enough, though. This is a small place. I was working on the beach garden, below your balcony, when our assistant brought you to your unit for check in. I heard you, with your voice raised, hurling insults at her. When she came down stairs in tears, I calmed her down, authorized her to issue you an immediate full refund for your $181 and I started calling around to find you another place for the night. It happens. Some people simply reserve themselves in the wrong place, a country guest house, not a luxury spa resort. Some other people can never be made happy, no matter what. We truly don't want unhappy people here. It upsets the peace, harmony & relaxation that we strive to maintain for our clients. Once again, read the other comments, the word "relaxing" appears frequently. A few minutes later, from my work station below your balcony (I was "work filthy", I'm a gardener, and finished my task but wanted to listen to see if I needed to get involved), I heard her offer you a refund and help in moving to a different hotel. I had my cell phone with me and already had found beach front rooms available at 6 other suitable hotels. You told her "No, we will stay tonight". Still, you did not ask for me or my husband. I presumed that you had finally settled down, so I continued away with my chores. The next morning, you left, still did not ask for either of us. I hoped that you found a big resort or whatever it was that you needed to make you happy. I read about the other hotel that you reviewed from this same trip, it was a luxury spa resort. The next 2 comments, below this, John & Dan (unrelated) both stayed with their wives in the same Parrot unit as you, for a week each, after you were here in March. Their comments are a lot different. Still and yet, just like everyone else, we wish peace and love to you and your family.
San Juan, Puerto Rico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

First off, if you are the type of people that stay at the Ritz Carlton or Four Seasons please stay away from Rincon!!! You will be very unhappy here. San Juan will be more your style. Rincon is a small, quiet, community of very friendly locals that appreciate good food, and cheap drinks. Time is spent at the beach, surfing, and watching sunsets from the numerous beach bars that are found up and down it's coast. As for the Coconut Palms Inn, this will be our place when we come to Rincon Puerto Rico. Very laid back with 8 guestrooms. Excellent, and accommodating staff!!! (Rosie and Angel - awesome people) This is a guest house where you trip around in your bathing suit all day. The HUGE BONUS is the community outdoor kitchen that is right on the beach. From this back patio area we enjoyed several sunsets with new found friends, and after, we created some great dinners with everyone's help. If you are not a social bunny, there are other areas to sit and have dinner, and plenty of quiet beach to sit on. The rooms are basic and offer small fridges, coffee makers, microwaves, and TV's. There is also Internet on property. Anything else you need to prepare can be done at the outdoor kitchen. There is a store and liquor store within 3 blocks, and the Villa Confresi Hotel about 500 yards walk up the beach. They are the home of the famous drink The Pirate....4 different types of rum in them people. Also, try the bakeries for their pastries, simply delicious. Once again thank you to Rosie and Angel for making our stay so enjoyable and relaxing. We will be back soon...I will baggage check a case of my wine for you guys next time. POR ESE MOTIVO!

Room Tip: The Ocean Front Rooms can be a bit noisy because the community kitchen is right outside.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Mantua, OH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Coconut Palms for a week at the end of April, 2012 and had a delightful time. I'm not sure when the 'season' is, but we had the place pretty much to ourselves during most of our stay.
The Parrot room was clean and airy, the appliances seemed to be new (they even replaced the microwave while we were there). Gail and the staff were ultra helpful. Nearby grocery store, liquor store, pharmacies and bakeries are very convenient. The Cofrisi resort down the beach a short way has an outdoor bar and restaurant, within walking distance.
There's not a lot to do, but that's the point. I spent a lot of time reading a book under a palm tree on the beach while my wife worked on her tan. One of the many cats that Gail rescued adopted us.
John and Suzanne P.

Room Tip: The Parrot Room is by far the nicest and has the most privacy, and also has a great balcony view of...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rincon
Villa Cofresi Hotel
Rincon Inn
Rincon Inn
#15 of 20 in Rincon
3.5 of 5 stars 63 reviews

Been to Coconut Palms Inn? Share your experiences!