“Average Hotel at best” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Rincon
San Juan, Puerto Rico
“Average Hotel at best”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

Stayed here in June. I live in Puerto Rico and the family decided to visit the west coast and this hotel was chosen. The service in the front desk wasn't as bad as people have said here, in fact the room was ready 2 hours before check-in. The rooms themselves were small but comfortable, had a safe, a TV and a very good AC. The safe was working well. The place is humid, so if you turn off the AC the floor will get wet and slippery, so always keep it on. The pool isn't anything special and is usually (Summer at least) crowded. The bar is sightly expensive. The beach outside is awful. Its basically a huge rock. You can get cut and hit it. Not a good beach at all. The breakfast was excellent and probably the best part, but pay it beforehand. Paying at the desk will set you back nearly $15. The restaurant is good, but the food isn't anything special and its very costly. We were treated very good though, and even the Chef came out to greet us. The place isn't in the best location but there are shops, banks and some fast foods nearby.

At the end of the day, I felt like the hotel was too expensive for what it offered. Not very recommended unless you get a great deal.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Somerset, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

We were here for 3 nights for my brother's wedding: He is English, marrying a Puerto Rican lady so we were 8 English people and 160 Puerto Rican wedding guests (plus the rest of the hotel). The rooms were clean and comfortable, the bathrooms perhaps a little basic, but not as bad as the reviews elsewhere which do not reflect our experience at all. the floors do stay a bit damp with the high humidity, but the rooms are pleasant and look out onto lovely tropical greenery and the sea. it is certainly true that the pool bar is noisy in the afternoons and evenings: this is an island that thinks loud music is essential to enjoyment. But it is turned off at 11;00 pm and was not too loud when in the rooms with fans and air con on. Our air conditioning and ceiling fan were both too loud, but this seemed to be isolated as others in our group had no problems. Food at the pool bar was fine and not overpriced, considering it's a hotel. The wedding and reception were really well organised, as was a family paella in the garden of the brides's suite the night before. Breakfast was a little haphazard, and you need to be careful to order from the a la carte menu rather than being bounced into the 15 dollar buffet breakfast. Beach was lovely, towels are provided (could just do with umbrellas for more shade than that offered by palms). Pool was very shallow so we did not use it much. Grounds beautiful, with a shady hammock area away from the noise. A couple of quibbles: an air conditioned lounge would be helpful in the heat and high humidity (the reception area is nice but open to the air and has fans only) and a computer for guest use would be handy (there is wifi in the reception area). All in all far better than I feared from the other reviews; service was fine, although you do need to be on a Caribbean time scale and not rush. Rincon did not seem very interesting, apart from the lovely sea and a nice bakery a very straggly town. PR seems to suffer ribbon development to excess.

Room Tip: The rooms nearer reception don't see the sea as well, but have less noise from the pool bar musi...
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012 via mobile

Overall was fine. A place for the family, the pool is no more than 4ft with an area of 1ft so for my todd was perfect. We had some issue with the room's floor, we are not air conditioner lovers so we turned it off for few hours and when we came back the floor was totally slippery wet, we turned on air conditioner and was dry next morning.
The best thing for me was my little girl enjoy it a lot, for the adults was a little boring, is more a place to take some rest or to take the kids to the pool and beach. The personnel was very attentive at restaurants and other facilities. The bathroom at the room was very clean. No mini fridge or coffee station in the room. Drinks at the pool bar little overpriced, we were satisfied when bought a medium hawaiian pizza for $12, until my husband decided to add a pina colada (non alcohol) what raised the bill $6 + taxes...

• Stayed July 2012
Arecibo, Puerto Rico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

The place is beautiful, well located (close to fast foods or pizzas if you are on a low budget ;-) )The staff is very helpful. The rooms are clean. The restaurant is as any inside hotel restaurant is... expensive, but they have a offer that gives you a voucher so you can have a nice dinner and you pay a little less that you normally would. Our offer has breakfast included son we don't know how much cost full price or if is always included, but either way it was GREAT!!, the beach is clam nice and beautiful but there are some parts the has rock on the bottom so be careful. Now the last thing the dinner under the stars, this is a 100+ dinner that you can buy to have a romantic dinner on the beach, the put a table outside and the serve you everything there, it could be the perfect place to have a romantic dinner and even to propose!!! but it lack of something very important, Privacy!!!. I was about to buy one of those dinners while we were there but I have the opportunity to see another couple in action. Since it was close to the entrance everyone pass by them. They have to set aside a area to this to make private. It's not nice to trying to propose with kids running around that are not yours. But overall it's great.

Room Tip: Choose the one which has ocean view it's spectacular!!!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Sayreville, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

I have stayed in many hotels and I do a lot of traveling. This, however, was a family vacation. My father, who lives in Puerto Rico, booked this hotel. We wanted to visit the west coast of Puerto Rico. Let me tell you that this hotel would NOT be my choice. I read the reviews prior to staying here and I was very nervous. Then I figuered... well how bad can it be? Well believe me... it was BAD!!! Where should I start? Let's begin with the false advertisement that said that there is a safe in EVERY room. Not true. This to me is important because I brought my ipad, camera, cash and my passport. They guaranteed me that there was a safe in my room before I went up to my room. Guess what??? NO SAFE!! I called up and they assured me that there was one there. I had to go downstairs and tell them that there was no safe. They told me there was nothing they could do and assured me that my things will be safe. When I asked them if they could guarantee that nothing will be taken they said thay couldn't do that. I told them I was not leaving the front desk until this matter was taken care of. They then disappeared and went to the back. I, however, waited until I would get an answer. After about a half hour the girl, Star, reappeared and said she will call my room. (By the way, there are NO managers on duty either - at least that's what they always told me). When I went back upstairs problem number 2 occurred. There were only 2 towels in the room that was booked for 6 people and NO WASHCLOTHES!! Once again I went downstairs to ask for towels and washclothes and they told me that housekeeping was gone for the day! Only when I became irrate did towels appear but they had NO washclothes! So we used towels to wash ourselves. After a few deep breaths and a walk around the grounds to calm myself, I returned to the room. Right behind me was a man CARRYING a safe without a sweat. He looked like he was carrying a bouquet of flowers instead of a safe. He placed it in the room and explained how it worked. Let me tell you... I did not feel any better keeping my important items in that safe! I knew my father was only staying for 2 days so I decided, along with the rest of my family, that since we would be here longer than my dad he should take all the electronics and important documentations back with him to his house on the east coast since we will be going there after our stay in Rincon. Problem 3 occured in the morning. I am an early riser and get up around 4:30/5:00. I enjoy to go outside with a cup of coffee and read a book. I could not find any coffee stations (there is no coffee pot in the room either) so once again I went to the front desk and asked where I could get coffee. They told me that the restaurant opens up at 7am and that's when I could get coffee. I was not happy! Problem 4 occured at breakfast. My dad paid for 4 of us through a package he was offered in Janurary when he booked the hotel. I walked in without a problem. Never was asked about my room number. The staff there told me that there was no charge for breakfast for any of the guests. Not true!! My sister walked in without a problem too. When my brother-in-law walked in they told him that they have to charge him and everyone else in that room for breakfast. He was so irrate that he didn't even eat! Once again I made a visit to the front desk and fumed over the lack of communication between their employees. No manager on duty again! They put me on the phone with a girl named Alma who then said she didn't know that 4 breakfasts were paid for and assured me that it wouldn't happen again. I told her that I would take care of any additonal costs of breakfast and that it should be charged to the room. The breakfast was good and the service was merely adequate, except for Cynthia who was the highlight of breakfast! She was wonderful! She smiled, was informitive and always available to our needs. Thank God she was there! Once again when we returned after a day of traveling around the west coast, guess what we didn't have in our room? Towels and washclothes! Another trip to the front desk who informed that housekeeping was gone for the day! They provided me with towels but no washclothes again! I returned to the front desk in the morning demanding to speak to someone in housekeeping. They put me on the phone with the supervisor of housekeeping. Her name was Haiti Lopez. She informed me that washclothes had to be requested (I never heard of such a thing!). She also assured me that I will have 6 towels and 6 washclothes everyday. She also told me that they have to be notified by the front desk about the number of guest in each room. Again... lack of communication! She was right... everyday after that I recieved the adequate number of towels and washclothes. It only took 3 days to finally get it right! Problem 5 occured at the pool bar. (The only bar at the hotel). My family sat at the bar and waited to order a drink. There were 3 bartenders on duty so I didn't think there should be a problem. After waiting an hour to see what was taking so long, I decided to walk over to the bar myself. The 3 bartenders never acknowledged my family who were patiently sitting at the bar. They still were not served! And, no, there wasn't a large crowd that the bartenders were dealing with. They just walked back and forth. Finally, a fourth bartender, Benny, came on duty and quickly took our order. He was Fabulous! He made great drinks, was very friendly and attentive to our needs and the needs of the other customers sitting at the bar. He did the work that the other 3 obvisoulsy couldn't do! We only drank at the bar when he was on duty... that says it all! As far as the overall qualities of the hotel goes.. the room itself was very small to accomadate 6 people. No draw space! We all had to live out of our suitcases and share hangers. There were only about 8 hangers in the room. The room was dingy, the floors were sticky... keep your shoes on at ALL times! The bathtub had rust stains and was too small. I've seen bigger bathrooms in motels! My room had no balcony so it was difficult to get our bathing suits to dry. No washing facilities were on the grounds, so we had to do laundry at a nearby laundry mat. The walls are not sound proof, so expect to hear the people next to you and above you. The 10 beach chairs are not enough to accommodate the number of guests at the hotel. We had to throw our things on the sand. The beach could use some cleaning. It was small so it shouldn't take someone a long time to keep it clean and empty the 1 garbage can that was overflowing with garbage. Also, don't expect wi-fi either! The only place that you could get it was in the lobby, and sometimes you didn't get it at all! They said you could get wi-fi at the pool too, but since it was under construction, there was NO wi-fi there. For a place that had beautiful grounds and an updated lobby area it was a great disappointment. I will NEVER stay here again and I will be sending an attachment of this review to the owner, Arnaldo Ruiz.

usa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

I stayed at Rincon of the Seas and thought the hotel was average. There were some good and bad points. First for the good: The lobby of the hotel is beautiful! If I'm not mistaken, it is relatively newly renovated. You can definitely see the renovations when you enter the lobby restrooms on the lobby-level floor.The drive up entrance to the hotel is great as well. We spent a good part of the day at the the hotel pool bar. The bartenders there were fantastic and the drinks were great!

Now far the not so good...the renovations of the the hotel must of stopped at the lobby. The guest rooms were no bueno! When we checked in there were no washclothes in the bathrooms. We didn't actually get any until the following day. When we called the front desk on the first time, we were told that there were no washclothes. And when we called back in the morning housekeeping came up with towels (an hour after we called), but again no washclothes. Finally a few minutes later someone came with some! The rooms weren't very comfortable. The guest rooms did not seem as though though they went with the lobby...they definitely lacked the beauty of the renovated level. When I have time I'll have to remember to upload photos so that you get an idea of what i'm talking about. On the flip side, our view from our balcony was gorgeous! Room service was not that good either...the food was good, but the service, not so good.

So while, I' d probably give the guestrooms a 2 out of 5, I'd give the rest of the hotel a 4 out of 5. The jury's out as to if I'd stay there again... but, it's like I'd try to find another hotel to stay at until the entire hotel reflected what you see when you first step foot in the lobby. The stay wasn't expensive at all so I guess you get what you pay for.

Room Tip: Ask for a room whose balcony faces the ocean.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
San Juan, Puerto Rico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

A group of friends and our children spent the July 4th weekend at this hotel. The view from our ocean-facing room was great, although they could trim back some of the trees to highlight the ocean. Staff were friendly for the most part, but I was a little surprised when they wouldn't serve us 15 minutes before the bar's official "opening time". In any event, the beat part of this hotel is the beach. The place is small enough to make it easy to get aruond and the rooms were sufficiently clean and wel equipped. Would definitely go back!

Room Tip: For ease of access, ask for a first-floor room.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Rincon of the Seas Grand Caribbean Hotel? Share your experiences!