“Amazing location, warm, friendly owners” 4 of 5 stars

You added Casa Islena Inn to your Saves list
Casa Islena Inn
2.5 of 5 Inn   |   Carr. Int. 413 km. 4.8, Rincon 00677, Puerto Rico   |
Ranked #8 of 20 Rincon B&B and Inns
“Amazing location, warm, friendly owners”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

Casa Islena is a gem of a hotel/ inn on a beautiful surf break. I loved my stay so much I am returning next month. The owner, Dario, is a kind, gentle person and very attentive to your needs.

The hotel/ inn has just 9 rooms so you never feel crowded. The smell and sounds of the beautiful, close ocean make the stay even that much better.

It seems like many of the rooms have two queen beds but I understand that there is at least one room with a king bed.I spent the majority of my time outside of the room, by the pool, or ocean. The actual room is fine but I wouldn't identify it as luxurious. The location and the people make the stay spectacular.

The location is right on "Parking Lots" surf break. You can walk to Sandy"s break which has a completely sandy bottom. If you surf Parking Lots just stay in line with the hotel as the bottom is mostly sandy but with some reef. The other surf breaks seem to have more reef at the bottom and have a longer paddle out so they seem to be for more advanced surfers. You can rent surf boards right by the hotel or call Melissa Taylor at Puntas surf school. She can also give surf lessons.

For the price, the place is spectacular. The restaurant there at the hotel serves breakfast starting at 8. You can get pancakes, eggs, toast or fruit. The side of fruit was delicious and fresh. They serve mahi over salad at lunch and dinner and the mahi is so fresh that it tastes like it was just caught.

There are a couple of glaring inadequacies for a place this nice and that is that the wifi is painfully slow and doesn't work in the rooms. Dario offered me the ability to plug into his modem to try to speed up my uploading of photographs to my computer. The second issue (for me, anyway) is that I am a naturally early riser and need early morning coffee. The hotel/inn restaurant is open 8-8 and the coffee isn't made until 7:15-7:30. There is no coffee maker in the room and no coffee within walking distance so I drove to Puntas Bakery up the hill a bit. That bakery opens at 6 am.

Rincon is a beautiful, laid back surf town where I feel like I can relax. Expect to drive to locations as not much is within walking distance. I did drive around looking for places with faster wifi and I was told by several different locations that the wifi works "sometimes". On my next trip I plan to bring a device called myfi so I am not dependent on wifi elsewhere. I hear that there is no Verizon cell tower and that ATT services works better on cellular. A local also told me that a red light is like a stop sign but I am not sure that this is true.

My food recommendations for the area:
La Coppa Llena at the Black Eagle
The couple who runs La Coppa used to run Casa Islena, but opened another place near the Shipwreck. It probably has the atmosphere/food combination in Rincon.It is home to Gringo Bingo every week ) I would give you an address but you won't need it. Everyone you ask will know where at least one of the places are...

Shipwreck
One of the most popular bar/restaurants where you can meet almost every one of Rincon's characters at the bar.

Lazy Parrot and Rum Shack
It's a beautiful property to dine at during the night. Chris and Amy, the owners, are great. Restaurant menu is nice

Banana Dang
This has amazing espresso and coffee and is THE place for a smoothie and a almond milk latte. It's closed on Tuesdays but a great place for breakfast or an afternoon snack every other day. It closes at 4 pm. The nutty dang is a very popular smoothie with peanut butter, banana and chocolate.

Lucky 13
supposedly has great BBQ according to the locals.I did not eat there.

Puntas Bakery: you can buy groceries, pastries or coffee here.

If you ask a local they can direct you to a limber lady who serves this coconut icee for 80 cents. You walk up to the woman's home and ask her for one.

There are also food trucks everywhere to get inexpensive but tasty food. My favorite of the truck food was a pizza truck. The man who owns the truck grows his own vegetables. I am a really picky pizza person and this pizza was so delicious and was only 6 dollars for a mushroom pizza. it
is on 413. Take 413 towards the marina and it is right past dogman's deli.

Overall, I feel like Rincon is my home away from home. I can't wait to return there.
PS Don't leave anything in your car or on the beach as I hear that there is a high crime rate.

PPS If you are looking for super luxury you can try Characol che or the horned dorset but the room rate is actually 5 times higher than at Casa Islena

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
CIStaff, Owner at Casa Islena Inn, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to review Casa Islena Inn. We appreciate the kind words and your support.

Thank you and hope you will remember us in your future travels to Rincon.

Wendi Restrepo

147 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
East Lansing, MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

If you're in the island to get the best of it, stay at the Casa Islena! First, the location is perfect. It had the privacy we were looking for and it was also near to great restaurants and the local night life. It is a small town, but you can always count on great people. Second, the service was great and helpful. This was not your ordinary inn, and I'd hope you did not come all the way to Puerto Rico to spend your whole time in your room and judging the hotel service. Their hours were convenient and we always knew how to contact and communicate with them. Thirdly, the rooms were true to the pictures here on this site and the hotel's. Which is not always the case with other hotels. Lastly, a lot of people complain about the prices, and all I can say is that it was worth every penny. It's not a matter of lowering your '5 Star International Hotel' standards, but of doing your research and enjoying something different, simple and beautiful. This was an unforgettable trip and I give it my full recommendation.

CIStaff, Owner at Casa Islena Inn, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our inn. Casa Islena Inn is a special place and we are delighted to share our home with you. Rincon is a beautiful small island town with many wonderful surprises waiting to be discovered. From your review you were open to embrace all our town and inn has to offer.

We hope you will consider staying with us when returning to Casa Islena Inn.

Thank you again for your kind words, it means a great deal to us.
New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

I came here for a nice beach getaway with my husband. We are from Louisiana so we don't get out very often. The room was absolutely gorgeous with a beautiful view of the beach. The staff was very friendly, and the owner was very nice and approachable. The breakfast was worth the money. It was an overall great experience and I would go their again.

CIStaff, Owner at Casa Islena Inn, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Casa Islena Inn. I was so happy to read your comments concerning our staff and the breakfast service. The Island House Restaurant is a new addition to the inn serving breakfast, lunch and dinner. We made the change to give our guest a better option for Breakfast.

Thank you again for your review and we hope to see you again!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

I was a little concerned about my decision to stop here with the recent reviews. But after staying here at Casa Islena I don't how someone could possibly write a poor review of this place. Our room was on the 2nd floor and was very clean. The room smelled fresh, combined with the ocean breeze and marvelous view of the beach it was perfect. Everything in the room was very clean; sheets, bathroom. The island house restaurant in the courtyard of the hotel served great crisp sub sandwiches. I was happy everything turned out well! I would recommend this place for the price.

• Stayed February 2012
CIStaff, Owner at Casa Islena Inn, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Thank you for your review of Casa Islena Inn. I am so pleased you were able to look past the last two negative reviews. Our housekeeping staff has received industry rewards for their service and take pride in their work. I appreciate your mention of the rate and happy you felt you received value for your money.

We hope you will return many times to Rincon and make Casa Islena your home away from home.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.
Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

We chose Casa Islena for a 1-night stay in Rincon because it was "top pick" in our Lonely Planet guide. What a disappointment. The front desk clerk first tried to sell us on an expensive ocean-front room and when we insisted on a cheaper option, gave us a room on the side (#202) for $135/night w/ continental breakfast. The room was small and horribly stuffy when we entered. It took a while to cool down w/ the AC and fan but the bathroom still remained stuffy. The room and bathroom seemed cleaned and relatively new, but the front door kept sticking when we tried to operate it and ended up having to slam it to get it to shut. The continental breakfast was the worst I've had in all of our stays in Puerto Rico. The selection was very limited: toast (i.e. bread that tastes like cardboard), bagels, and yogurt.

It is right on a beach but the beach did not look very appealing for swimming or hanging out given there are much better beaches in the area. It is also quite out of the way. This was the most expensive of the 6 or so hotels we stayed at in Puerto Rico, including a resort, and definitely not a great value. Next time I'd save the money and stay in town in Rincon.

CIStaff, Owner at Casa Islena Inn, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for Casa Islena Inn. Due to your review, and other reviews concerning the breakfast, we no longer offer a complimentary breakfast. We have new partners running the restaurant offering breakfast, lunch and early dinner from 8am to 8pm.

I am sorry you only chose to stay one night in our area. Yes, Puntas is out of the way, but most guests enjoy the quite surrounding, walks to the tidal pool and the short walk to sandy beach. We do have a reef in front of the inn and this is the reason for the ocean front pool. Many of our guests enjoy surfing making our inn a perfect choice.

We try to conserve on energy and we do not run the A/C when a room is not in use, because we are in the tropics it can take some time for a room to cool off, this can be a perfect time to take a dip in our pool or relax in a lounge chair. I am sorry you found closing the door to be difficult. We do have a problem with swelling due to the weather and from time to time doors do stick.

I am happy you enjoyed your stay on our beautiful island and hope you will return. Once again thank you for sharing your experience. I am sorry we were not what your were looking for.
griffin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

I will start of by saying I am not the type of person to write reviews.My wife and I visted Puerto Rico the first week in November. We rented a vehicle and visited Rio Grande,Culebra,Vieques,Rincon and finally San Juan.

The next time we visit Puerto Rico we would spend more time in Rincon. The Casa Islena Inn was a high point on our week long journey. We arrived in Rincon after dark and called the owner Dario to help us with directions. Dario met us and we followed him to the Inn and of course we were surprised at this type of service. Once we arrived at this hidden gem we were very impressed at the awesome location and layout of the Inn. Dario upgraded our room to a balcony suite to our surprise. It was the last week of the "low" season and only one other couple was on the property.The room was clean,spacious and the balcony was awesome!
The small Inn is in walking distance to Tamboo a great ocean front restaurant/bar that Dario suggested. The beach is great and known for the beach glass. The ocean waves on this part of the island are rough and great for surfing.
Enough can not be said about how impressed my wife and I were with this Inn. Dario and his staff are great. If you visit Rincon I highly recomend staying here!

Room Tip: The balcony rooms are worth the extra money
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
CIStaff, Owner at Casa Islena Inn, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Thank you for the wonderful review. We are so happy to make your stay in Puerto Rico a memorable one. We hope you will return to Rincon and will call Casa Islena your home away from home.

Thank you.
Puerto Rico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

I have vacationed in Rincon for the past 8 summers, always staying at the Horned Dorset Primavera. This was our first time at Casa Isleña and we absolutely loved it. The owners are very friendly and helpful. Our bartender was great and made amazing cocktails with housemade, infused liquors like jalapeño spiced vodka. He also gave us recommendations for different restaurants which were all spot on. The tapas menu is a little limited but everything tasted delicious. The breakfast offering includes cereal, pastries, wafffles, yogurt, juice and coffee. Everyone comes out to eat on the terrace which makes it easy strike up a conversation with a fellow guest. The rooms are not luxurious but are always clean and fresh. My biggest complaint would have to be the quality of the mattress. It wasn't terribly uncomfortable but I like having a comfy bed to go back to at night after a day out in the sun. My husband and I stayed in a room on the first floor, right in front of the pool and it was very convenient. We never were never bothered by loud noises or rowdy behavior at night. There are plenty of bars and restuarants, from Thai food to sushi to straight up criollo. Don't be afraid to venture out and explore. All in all, great experience, can't wait to return!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
CIStaff, Owner at Casa Islena Inn, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Thank you for the wonderful review. Rincon is a special place and it is great to read your impression of our town and inn. Vacations are about discovery and you seemed to have discovered some great places to enjoy during your stay.

We hope we can help you in your future visits to Rincon.

Thank you for taking the time to share your visit.

Been to Casa Islena Inn? Share your experiences!