“Safety for divers and environment” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #14 of 20 Activities in Rincon
Type: Water sports, Adventure
Connecticut
“Safety for divers and environment”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

I was very impressed by our dive-master (Anthony Luciano) and boat captain (Frank Lazu) in their respect for both the divers and our dive site. Captain Frank told us that we might not be able to get out to Desecho island because the seas were a little rough, but that his first responsibility was to ensure our safety. When we did get out without mishap, he emphasized the delicate nature of the coral and wildlife in the reefs of Desecho (a Federally protected wildlife preserve) and told us that the only specimens we could remove were bottle or can 'fish.'

Dive master Anthony was telling our team of 4 to get ready for a 75 foot dive, when I felt I had to say that i was (newly) PADI certified to only 60 ft. He immediately agreed that this is all we would do, assuring everyone that there was plenty to see at 60. The dive was fantastic -- nurse sharks, morays, giant crabs, tube sponges as big as trash cans, and visibility that must have been at least 90 feet. What a great team.

Minnesota
17 attraction reviews
“Good first diving experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

We used Taino for our first diving experience outside of Minnesota and were pretty pleased with the service. We had originally really wanted to dive Desecheo, but the weather didn't work out. We did 4 dives with Taino and one private dive with Wally, a Taino divemaster. We dove the black coral reef, an 1850s shipwreck, the Corcega wall, and Big Step. The Corcega wall and Big step were our favorities. At Big Step we got to see a Sea Turtle at about 50feet deep and that was a highlight for me. We were a bit disappointed in having to load all the gear ourselves each day and the gear for a second boat on the second day of diving. But we viewed it as just more exercise :-) The thing we were most disappointed in was the "lunch" that they provide. Taino's website states that lunch is provided with dives on their website and the "lunch" consists of soda, potato chips, and some mediocre pasta salad. I can tell you this they would have gotten a much larger tip from us had lunch been more than it was. The second day of diving we packed our own lunch and snacks and were happy with that.

Our second day of diving we talked to Wally about his favorite dives in the area and his favorite dive was a shore dive on Crash Boat beach at night. He offered to take us and another couple we were with to Crash Boat the following day. We met him at Taino and he loaded up our rental gear and tanks in his truck and followed him to Crash Boat. He set all of our equipment up and was an excellent divemaster for us. This was by far our favorite dive! The other couple with us have been diving for years and are coming up on their 50th dive and they said the night dive on Crash Boat beach was their favorite dive ever for both of them. After the dive we loaded everything into Wally's truck and went back to the shop where we able to rinse off all of our gear and Wally surprised us with some corn ice cream, a Puerto Rican favorite. All in all, it was an amazing experience for a reasonable price with Wally :-)

Rumney, NH
18 attraction reviews
“Good small operation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

I enjoyed my diving 2 tank dive. With only 4 other people it was a nice dive with only a couple of minor issues.

We started off from the beach with us the divers, helping load the boat. Rincon needs their Marina reopened! Without a marina it keeps Taino from offering the normal service level I am use too. Being able to recognize this I was able to get over the inconveniences. The first dive was lead by the owner (Carson). It was enjoyable and fun. It was to windy for Desecheo Island, so we were just off shore in calmer waters. The second dive was not as fun, Carson stayed on the boat and he let one of his staff lead the dive. The leader was also teaching a student for her open water cert. The dive started off nice, but soon the teacher and student were heading up for the boat (out of air?). I was left with 2100 psi and told to stay around the boat. Since I didn't set up an official "buddy" I didn't feel like wondering off too far. Being left with nothing to explore and over half my air it felt like a wasted dive. I also didn't feel to comfortable with the gear. As a tourist diver I like the Integrated BC with weights system and having to wear a weight belt sucked. The regulators were ok, but trusting them is something that is critical and if I was to ever dive with these guys again I would bring my own.

I also really like some fresh water to clean gear and maybe a rinse on the boat after the dives, but again with no marina they have no way of filling a holding tank for that.

Again overall I had a good time, they have two small boats and keep the operation small.

Texas
3 attraction reviews
“Excellent Discover Dive”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

We went on the afternoon Discover Dive cruise to the national reserve very close to the marina. Our captain "Miami" Dave and dive master Wally were both just awesome. They were so positive about diving all of us are planing to get PADI certified so we are ready for an open water dive when we return. My daughter was a little freaked and Wally was very patient. He made sure to take things slow and when we finally all made it to the bottom it was amazing. We saw a beautiful Lion fish which Wally informed us was non-native and had no predictors. So he speared it and brought it back for his dinner. It is not a fancy operation, but totally fits with the rustic surfer vibe of Rincon. Highly recommended!

Visited December 2012
New York City, New York
18 attraction reviews
“Top notch dive operation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

What these guys lack in the form of a pier (manual loading of equipment onto the boat before departure which they turn into a fun group experience), is totally forgotten as soon as they tie up to the mooring at Desecheo.

These were fantastic dives and the surface interval was great. From the vegetarian pasta salad to the divemaster Wally making lion fish sushimi for those of us willing to be adventurous.

These guys really do know how to keep it fun all the time and the 100+ foot visibility that we saw at Desecheo wasn't too shabby either!