“BED BUGS” 2 of 5 stars

New York, NY
“BED BUGS”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2008

Yes, it is true.
We stayed here for four days and not only contracted bed bugs the last night we were there, we brought them home. I am a very clean person and also a doctor, so I know what I am talking about.
I contacted Rita Caro when I got home to let her know, she said she did not think this was their problem but would get back to me.
Well, she never called me back and so I feel I gave them a chance to rectify the situation - 5 months in fact.
But now that I think about the expensive exterminator and dry cleaning bills, I think others who consider staying here should be fairly warned.
If you don't mind the possibility of bed bugs, and are looking for a cheap, casual place with loud music on the beach, this place is for me.
As for me, I will definitely not be returning.

Stayed January 2008
LalaRincon_P_R_, Owner/General Manager at Villa Cofresi Hotel, responded to this review, July 26, 2008
As soon as the hotel was notified about the alleged bugs, we called our professional exterminators immediately. The same day they did an extensive research with expert tools and personnel and could not find a single bug. Actually, several rooms were checked and absolutely nothing was found and we did not get more complaints. We have a scheduled bi-monthly exterminating process that use modern tools to prevent all kinds of bugs.

In the tropics, sometimes people that are not used to the warm weather or have sensitive skin develop allergies that has nothing to do with bed bugs at all. We don't mean to get defensive, but we do intent to clarify the situation and assure customers that this is simply not true.

Hotel Villa Cofresi has been in business for 45 years. We have a reputation of professionalism, excellent service, responsiblity and cleanliness. Rita Caro did in fact called this customer as promised, but unfortunately there was never an answer. We do care about all our clients and all their concerns and take care of them. We guarantee there are no bed bugs at Villa Cofresi Hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Reno, NV
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2008

My daughter and I stayed here four nights in June. Our third floor room was clean, well maintained and comfortable with a large balcony on the beach (located in a separate building to the south of the main hotel building. The hotel staff was polite and efficient but not exactly friendly. The hotel guests are almost exclusively Puerto Ricans and its a great place for families with young children and teens alike. However, the noise from the bar every night until midnight and then noise from guests on the beach until 3:00 am was ridiculously loud. Despite using ear plugs, having the air-conditioner fan on high and leaving the TV on, the outside noise made evenings miserable. Why not join in the fun, you ask. Well, the locals aren't exactly friendly to 'gringos'. Our first night we went to the bar and sat right at the bar. The bartender waited on everyone else, walked by us several times without so much as acknowledging our presence, waited on newcomers and then finally, when he decided we weren't going to leave, acted surprised to see us and took our drink order. Took him another 10 minutes to bring us two cold beers. We thought it was just the bartender's attitude, but after four days it was pretty obvious (because of other incidents) that our gringo presence was not welcome at this locals resort. The onsite restaurant serves a good variety of good food for dinner and the free breakfast (mostly carbs) was well presented and fresh. If you are looking for a good family resort on a great swimming beach, you'll love this place. If you're looking for a quiet beach resort, best look elsewhere.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — noise
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Hartford, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2008

We drove from San Juan Airport directly to Rincon to start our Puerto Rico vacation. We arrived at around 12:30PM and even though it wasn't check in time, the staff was able to accommodate our situation and allowed us to check in early. Hotel Cofresi has that older hotel feel but is maintained and staffed at a high level. The hotel is located right on the beach and has a medium size pool that was kept very clean. When I was there it was staffed by a lifeguard. My room was clean and well decorated with teak type furniture. From my room balcony I had a clear view of the beach and ocean. An incredible sight at sunrise. The best part of the hotel has to be the bar, right by the beach. The bartenders/ grill cook are amazing. The night I was there, the bartenders kept providing me with cold Medella, even though the bar was packed. The bartenders were very knowledgeable of the area and even directed me to a nearby restaurant, where I had the best Chijo fish I have ever tasted. Overall the Hotel and staff were outstanding. Highly recommended.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Finding Hotel. Need a bigger sign
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2008

We are long-time fans of this family-operated hotel (but it's more like a big home). There are many repeat guests who look forward to seeing one another year after year. The staff could not be more accommodating - any request gets their best effort. We think this place is best for an extended stay because each annual visit benefits from discovering what's that season's best feature (restaurant, site to visit, etc.). There is a personality component in the reactions to this place. If you want luxury, gambling and wearing jewels to dinner, go to San Juan -- this place is much too laid back for you. Alternatively, good safe beach, comfortable rooms (choose to fit your tastes - active bar area, pool access or remote), wide selection of local dining opportunities, convenient supermarket, free wi-fi availability and amiable clientele all contribute to the quality of your stay. All this at reasonable prices -- about the only place you detect the economizing is in the Continental breakfast, but you can save your caloric intake to indulge in a nice fish dinner (try a whole snapper, called chillo entero).

• Liked — Low key, relaxed atmosphere
  • Disliked — Breakfast
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Maplewood, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2008

My friend and I just returned from the Villa Cofresi after a 4 day stay. I was told to stay there by a coworker who said it was a clean, friendly, and accomodating hotel with a private beach. The hotel lived up to my expectations.

The staff was very helpful with restaurant suggestions, places to visit, and arranging a taxi to the airport. (As a side note, I wish I had rented a car as driving is neccessary to see most of Rincon.)

The beach was small but very clean and I never had trouble getting a lounge chair. The pool was less than fatastic but who needs a pool when you have a calm, clean ocean to swim in.

My room was ocean front on the first floor. As read in many reviews the bar can be noisy, so its best to stay in a room far from the bar, which I did and it was perfect. All I heard at night was the crashing waves.

My only complaint is the service at the bar. I felt ignored often by the bar tenders. It took over 5 minutes to get my drink order most of the time. I actually walked away frustrated several times without a drink because I couldn't wait any longer. If you can get your drink, make sure it's Cofresi's famous Pirate. It's served in a freshly cut coconut and it's delicious!

• Liked — the beach
  • Disliked — the bartenders
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with friends
Toronto, Ontario
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2008

Just returned from Villa Confresi spending one evening. I was travelling with two others and they offered a two bedroom unit. which was $160.00 per night including continental breakfast. The hotel itself is right on a great beach, has a great beach bar overlooking the beach and the fabulous sunset. The drinks are great, the restaurant at this hotel is also very good. The rooms are dated to the 1970's. They are in need a renovating big time. The bathrooms are old, musty and not very clean. If you don't mind all of the above go there for the beach and bar, other than that don't stay there.

Stayed April 2008
LalaRincon_P_R_, owner and manager at Villa Cofresi Hotel, responded to this review, April 15, 2008
Thank you for your comments about our hotel. It was our pleasure to have you with us. This is a high demand apartment since it is the only two-bedroom apartment with ocean view. We have remodeled 95% of the rooms in the hotel. This apartment is next. The kitchen and the bathroom vanity have been ordered. Again, thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We hope to have you with us again in the very near future.
Central Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2008

A neighbor who is from Rincon recommended this lodging. From the moment we started working with the staff to plan our vacation (we were celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary) we noticed that our requests were treated with prompt response. The staff, including housekeeping and security, greeted us warmly and the front desk personnel bent over backwards to treat us with kindness. The manager treated us with great courtesy and allowed us to use the hotel computer printer when our laptop did not work. The food and beverage manager and restaurant staff geniunely made our celebration the best ever and truly served the absolute best food we tasted anywhere on the island. The bar staff was entertaining and quick to serve.

All in all we would highly recommend this hotel to travelers. The rooms are not plush but very nice and well appointed. The hotel is on the beach with all the aminities (beachside shower, lounge chairs, etc.). The bar is a major hotspot on weekends but the staff handles parking well and we were never bothered by the noise.

Rincon has beautiful beaches and genuinely nice people. Everyone there seems to exhibit a love of life and an energy we have never witnessed anywhere else.

Stayed March 2008
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rincon
Rincon of the Seas Grand Caribbean Hotel
Rincon Beach Resort
Rincon Beach Resort
#1 of 1 in Anasco
3.5 of 5 stars 580 reviews

Been to Villa Cofresi Hotel? Share your experiences!