“No Frills, but Decent” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Rincon
New York City, New York
“No Frills, but Decent”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

Named after a Puerto Rican pirate and rated with two stars, his simple hotel was not as bad as I feared. I'm a scuba diver and this hotel could be rated much higher by divers and surfers. In the positive side, it was clean, staff was friendly, food was good. I booked it reluctantly, but left happier than expected. Again, decor was better than some pics I saw online. I booked it for only one night and it was good enough to crash for one night. Apparently they have live music on weekends. We stayed on a midweek and they had karaoke. They have pool tables as well. Not much of a beach or pool area. For a great beach experience in Ricon drive around and find your perfect spot. It'll be worth it.

Room Tip: Ask reception for upgrade.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012 via mobile

We arrived on a friday, it was over a $100 but when we called they quoted a different price. However they have beautiful views .. I love the family unity but im staying on the 3rd floor and there is a family of 6, with a small child who i believe is always MAD and CRYING ,one queen size bed for 4 adults and 2kids :-/ annoying but like i said employees family is not paying!! however i am and quite annoyed they wouldnt put them in a room nxt to a paying guest! I will be back to Rincon, but Confresi No!!

• Stayed September 2012
LalaRincon_P_R_, Owner at Villa Cofresi Hotel, responded to this review, September 15, 2012
Thank you for writing about your experience with us. It seems like you are staying with us this weekend. (Sept 14-16, 2012.) We are trying to figure this out. We can't find any guest who is employee familly or that is not a paying guest. We don't allow BBQ's, so we are confused. We would like to get to the bottom of this to resolve it immediately. We would appreciate if you could contact management (Sandra) at 787-823-2450 so we can get more information from you and make sure it does not happen again. Again, thank you for your comments.
san diego, ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

Have stayed at this hotel on several visits to Puerto Rico. It's suites are comfortable and pool, central patio, bar and restaurant are very nice and the ocean is a few steps away. Have visited during Xmas and New Years holidays and spring season. The staff is very efficient and respond immediately to any of our needs.

We have never been disappointed!!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is excellent for families, it has an arcade, pool, beach, restaurant and a bar. It's very clean, the staff is friendly and good at what they do. Breakfast is a lot of bread: french toast, pancakes, waffles, sandwich bread, bagels etc. Could be better but at least is better than what you get at other places none. You don't have to leave the hotel to have fun.

• Stayed August 2012
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012 via mobile

I've stood at Cofresi 2 times and the family likes it but we have noticed that too many people come that are not paying to stay there and we have to wait alot to play at the tables of billar also the chairs at the beach they enjoy. The beach is beautiful but its full of lots of rocks even glass. The employees are nice. there are also few rooms that is for 5 people or more.

• Stayed July 2012
Los Angeles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

I don't understand all the excellent ratings this place gets. Maybe its good compared to other places in Rincon but not compared to anything I'm use to. I just got back there from a 6 night visit. Its like a Days Inn.

First the positives.
The room was clean. I was very happy about that.
The front desk staff were friendly and the night guard was really kind.
ts right on the beach which is beautiful.
When you are in the ocean it feels like your on a TV set is so amazing.

Okay that not so goods.
The whole place smells like old bleached out dirty molding mops. The rooms are stale.
The only daytime food available is at the bar and is almost all fried except for chicken kabobs. When I got there from my flight at 2am, there was no water in my room and the vending machines where empty. No water for me in the whole place.
The breakfast....how laughable. Trays of bread. Plan beagles, white or wheat sliced with a plate of ham and cheese slices. Small pale cold pancakes and half done french toast. You have to take these things and put them in a George Foreman grill or toaster. Then you get fountain sugar water that looks like juice. You have to pay for eggs if you want them. If you get there early you might be lucky to get some not so great looking fruit.

The tropical drinks except for their 1 specialty is out of a bottle full of corn syrup! I thought at least they would use local fresh fruit! The pirate special drink to me was less than special.

The very worst thing about the hotel was the bar staff. Both myself and a very pretty friend would stand at the bar ready to order only to have the staff ignore you and service countless locals first. Not once but at least 5 times to the point where I had to complain. Actually we both did on separate occasions. She even had to order through a local to get service.

The restaurant was understaffed. I watched people coming to dinner and wait to be seated and leave because they had one server for the whole restaurant while a wedding was going on. I know workers cancel shifts but come on! You don't have any backup planned when you hosting a wedding!

I was very disappointed an honestly my feelings were hurt being ignored while paying to stay 6 nights at there stinky hotel.

Accept for the bar service, its really not horrible but again I don't get all the raves. Oh...they let anyone come to the bar, pool and beach area. There were more locals than guest using these things with kids running around everywhere. I love the locals (no racial issues here) don't get me wrong but it gets so over crowded on a hot day you have to go out of your way to find a peaceful area to enjoy the beautiful view.

Disappointing.

Room Tip: No elevator so be mindful of that. I was on the 3rd floor but it really was not an issue.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

We arrived in Rincon and decided to go at Cofresi because of tripadvisor's reviews... no reservation and friday.... Still we managed to have a room... 209... near the bar... big party there ... the room was a little overrated even if we had our private balcony write on the beach.
very good complementary breakfast and maid service. The beach is great for walks.. and villa cofresi is near a supermercado and plenty of restaurants... we had a great time in Rincon, and we do not regret our pricy room...

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Villa Cofresi Hotel? Share your experiences!