“Good Rincon Hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Lazy Parrot Inn

You added Lazy Parrot Inn to your Saves list
Lazy Parrot Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Carr. 413, Km 4.1 | Barrio Puntas, Rincon 00677, Puerto Rico   |
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Rincon
Alexandria, Virginia
“Good Rincon Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

Lazy Parrot is a unique hotel that has an eclectic feel to it. My first impression wasn't positive, but that's mostly because we had been driving all evening from San Juan (after having a hard time leaving San Juan...stupid roads) and trying to locate the front desk at Lazy Parrot was kind of frustrating. It's not in the front, or at least, not the front from the road.

Anyway, after finally getting settling, we found ourselves in a very comfortable room. The bed was so soft and comfortable...I haven't slept that good in a long time. The room included nice furniture and a flat screen TV. The bathroom was cool, with an open stone shower. The room also had a ceiling fan and one of those ceiling mounted A/C units you can control with a remote.

In the morning, there is a complimentary breakfast that has fruit, yogurt, juice, etc.

The hotel has a nice pool and a bar that stays open until about 11.

Getting to Lazy Parrot is a bit tedious, especially in the dark, but that's more the fault with Rincon being such a rambling, sprawling small town. You'd have equal trouble getting to any other place in Rincon as you would getting to Lazy Parrot.

Tips for travelers:

There is no 24 hour staff on duty at the hotel (though there is an emergency number), but if you are going to be late, like we were, you can call and they will leave your room key and information for you at the desk.

There are a lot of stairs at this hotel, especially coming from the main road. If you have a disability, be sure to bring that up when you are reserving a room.

If I'm ever in Rincon again, I would happily stay at Lazy Parrot Inn.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
BirdLady, Owner at Lazy Parrot Inn, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
This a perfect review...... Thank you! so many times people are angry and tired after their day of delayed flights and traffic. Unless you are checking into a chain hotel you should always confirm a late night arrival . Although we would never leave a late night arrival stranded it always helps to know the little details, before you get here!

Bird lady
Lzparrot@lazyparrot.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
San Juan, Puerto Rico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

Stayed at the Lazy Parrot for 2 nights. If you have never stayed in Rincon it maybe hard to find, because it is up in the mountain. We stayed in room #10 which is on the top floor. The room was very nice with a microwave and refrigerator. It was very clean and well kept. The only negatives were the bed was hard and woke up in the morning with a sore back. Also, the shower had issues with pressure and temperature (cold). A funny note is a bird would be right out above the front door and each morning would attack me as I would walk door the stairs. The pool bar made great drinks and the food was tasteful. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. They provide you a beach towel for the pool or beach. They also have chairs but you need to get them early because there are not many. It is a great place for a long weekend, but the bed would kill me if I stayed a whole week.

• Stayed May 2013
BirdLady, Owner at Lazy Parrot Inn, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
We thank you for your comments and the Cool and Unique Place, review title.....I take that as a big compliment!. Just for the record, all our beds are Serta Pillowtops or Sealy Posterpedics so I was a little surprised that this guest felt the bed was too hard. If you read our other reviews, you won't find any other references to our beds being hard. As for the water pressure, this past month all of Rincon has had water pressure issues. This has been caused by the enormous rains clogging up the filtration plant. The LAzy PArrot has a well so even when the water company can't provide water our well is always working to provide water to the hotel.

We hope to see you again soon.....
Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

My husband and I stayed April 1-8 at Lazy Parrot. It was our first stay at the Inn and it was everything we had hoped for. The Inn is remarkably clean. We chose the Inn because of it uniqueness. Their web site described it perfectly. If you are looking for a name brand resort- this isn't the place. Everyone was wonderful and so helpful. There are quite a few stairs which made me a little nervous at first since I just had a knee replacement in December, but I had no problem. The light breakfast was perfect before a great day on the beach. The food at the Rum shack was really good and the service could not be beat. Morgan and Aaron are the best!! We ate twice at LPR, although a little pricey, it was one one the best meals we had ever eaten. I can not say enough about the Inn's staff. They were all very pleasant, helpful, and trustworthy. The only thing to be aware of is that you may not have hot water all the time. This was not a surprise for us since we have traveled to other PR islands who face the same issue. We'll be back!!

Room Tip: Room 305 overlooked pool and bar but on the end so had privacy
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
BirdLady, Owner at Lazy Parrot Inn, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Thank you so much for your review! The Lazy Parrot is an environmentally friendly hotel. All our hot water in the hotel is either solar generated or heated on demand. Although we have a back up system for those rainy days, from time to time, guests deplete the hot water supply without even realizing it. Our commitment to sustainable tourism is very important to us but our guests are too. If you don't have hot water, please notify the office so we can turn on the back up system, it only takes a minute to set it and a few more for the hot water to flow. Do it for Planet Earth! Be a part of the solution!

Annapolis
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

I had booked this hotel through hotels.com for a stay between April 24 to April 27. My comments are negative : it was very difficult to find this hotel, finally found it up on top of a hill in a crowded neighborhood, there was no one there to check in with just a key in an envelope, no one there to talk to, finally found someone who suggested calling Jabby to try to cancel. Jabby could not be contacted. I cancelled on internet from another location as a last resort. Hotels.com tried to call them for several days and finally contacted them and they charged me a penalty of half of my booked stay of $151 anyway. Other additives to why not to stay there was no ready parkiing, but finally found across street with sign that they were not responsible for anything. Hotel is nowhere near the beach which was why we went to this area, and we also understand there is no air conditioning.

Room Tip: Best tip is not to book this hotel. Go to the Marriot Courtyard at old Ramey AFB in Aguadilla.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
BirdLady, Owner at Lazy Parrot Inn, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Wow! I have always said we aren't for everyone and I believe this guy falls into that category.

First of all, there are 2 main roads in Rincon,115 and 413. We are directly on 413, if you can't find the Lazy Parrot you will never find any of the other hotels.

Second, our parking lot is across the street from the hotel, it isn't across a 4 line highway, it is within 25 feet of the front door. We also have side parking and another parking lot at the bottom of the property.

Although our hotel staff leaves at 5pm our restaurant staff is there until 11pm and assists late check in arrivals. If they can't help the guest with something, they call our after hours guy, Hector, within 5 minutes he was there and offered an upgrade to this guest. Only hotel.com can cancel a reservation, which was done around 8pm. The reason hotel.com contacted us later is because the guest, who cancelled, did not want to pay the cancellation fee of 50%.

No we aren't on the beach, and no where on Hotel.com nor our website or any other website states that. However, we are 3/4 mile to the closest beach and within 2 miles of 7 others ....just to make a point, the hotel he recommended, Marriot Courtyard in Aguadilla, isn't on the beach either, actually I think we are closer to the beach then they are.

Now, to his rating.....
1 for service - I think we did a great job of attending this guest in a timely fashion and an offering an upgrade, which he refused.
1 for value - He reserved the cheapest room on Hotels.com. If you wanted the best room in the house you should have paid for a superior poolside room.
1 for location - We are within 1/4 mile -2 miles of some really nice restaurants and great beaches, above the beach which enables our guests to have a quiet stay. Crowded neighborhood? I don't even know how to respond to that, we are in rural Puerto Rico, with livestock in the neighboring fields.
1 for Rooms - He never mentioned what was wrong with any room, other than he failed to see the air conditioners which are in every guest room.
1 for Cleanliness - Just read our other reviews.
1 for Sleep Quality - We have great Sealy posterpedic beds but he never slept in one so how can he comment.on that one!

Too bad this guest didn't give us a chance. Some people just don't know how to relax and enjoy their vacation!

San Juan, Puerto Rico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Great place to stay.This is my third stay and will not be my last at the Lazy Parrot. I was recomended the LP by some friends that have stayed several times.I really enjoy the property and their hospitality and by being a small Inn makes the stay more pleasant. The Rum Shack offers great Hamburgers and nice drinks.Their Restuarant LPR offers excellent food and great service. One night we were a group of 4 and all plates where excellent. The Continental breakfast is a good starter for the day.The views are great from all locations since you are high in the hills. The location is perfect but you do need a car to get around. The beach is nearby and Resturants as well. The Rincon is a very relax and at a slower pace. Small town, small local stores and markets which makes it a great laid-back escape. The official language is English, jajaja, you will not have communication problems. Ther dress attire is casual being a surf and beach town. The only comment for the Lazy Parrot to address is that rooms I have stayed 8,9 & 10 on the 2nd floor which are spacios, confortable and very clean but I have had situations with water pressure and the hot water is cold or cool. I have mentioned this to reception but still have not been solved to my statisfication during my stays. I beleive it's this section of the the Inn... I will be back to the Lazy Parrot in a few weeks and I am looking forward for a great all around stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the newer section, 3 floor building.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
BirdLady, Owner at Lazy Parrot Inn, responded to this review, April 20, 2013
Thank you so much for your comments! During your recent stays we have had a couple different issues going on. To the client it may look like we aren't doing anything but that is far from the truth. Every complaint is addressed immediately and assessed to determine whether we can improve the facilities here at the Lazy Parrot.

Part of the issue this winter was the drought that the western region was experiencing, which in Puerto Rico means less water in our pipes. Years ago we installed a well to help during these times when the water is lacking, however when the hotel is filled to capacity and everyone is trying to use the water at the same time (first thing in the morning and once everyone returns from the beach), our tanks have to re-set and re-fill, which doesn't happen in 5 minutes. What all guests need to remember is, you are not home, so comparing your pressure at home to Puerto Rico is a mute point. Although Puerto Rico is a commonwealth of the US, we still lack some of the basic things, statesiders and city folks take for granted, like water and electricity 24/7. Be assured, the Lazy PArrot has taken every precaution to provide uninterrupted service.

Our room information books state, "Things You Should Know", like, we have solar panels to deliver hot water to all our rooms. We also have a back up system when we have days of rain or cloudy weather. This back up system has coils that heat the water electrically, but from time to time they blow when the electricity fluctuates. Our records show that this guest notified the office and indeed a coil was burned out and replaced.

FYI, we have also recently purchased a new power plant to replace the one we had. This new plant now delivers power to ALL parts of the hotel when these fluctuations occur and the local service provider can’t deliver electricity to the area.

Most of the time, people wait until they get home to make complaints and most of the time they were things we could have done something about. If you don't let us know, we can't fix it. Obviously, if this guest keeps coming back, they love the place, otherwise, they would have moved on to another hotel.

World
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

I loved the Lazy Parrot. Stayed here for 5 nights during a recent surf trip.

It is difficult to find but so is everything in Rincon as there's often no proper signage. The inn is located in the hills, about a 5mins drive (max) from the beach. Rooms are spacious and clean. Staff is friendly and helpful, I was e.g. looking for a good massage place and they looked up several places for me until I found one that had availability. One comment: the reception is only open until 5pm (I think), so if you arrive late let them know in advance.

The inn has two restaurants, the Rum Shack, which is a poolside bar and serves pretty good food (even though only from a small menu) and the LRP. I ate at the Rum Shack a couple of times, the LRP was closed for a few days. There's a small store and bakery right by the hotel as well as Banana Dang, which serves terrific coffee drinks and smoothies.

I don't see the issue with the many stairs, it is really not as bad as people make it seem and if anything, it is a good small workout. I also don't agree with the supposed americanization of Rincon - yes, you here little Spanish, but that applies to all of Puerto Rico and there are much fewer American chains here than in most other locations on the island. Rincon is a typical laid-back surfertown which simply may or may not be your cup of tea. If you expect fancy resorts and the like, this is not your place. Also, I am over 30 and didn't find the crowd at the LPI or Rincon generally too young.

If I come back to Rincon at some point, I would stay at the Lazy Parrot again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
BirdLady, Owner at Lazy Parrot Inn, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Thank you so much for your review! I was so sorry to hear you missed LPR. We had a minor gas leak that shut us down for a couple of days, until the leak could be located and the gas tanks re-filled. I really appreciated your insight on the stairs, Americanization and age of travelers to this part of the island. Sometimes people only focus on the negatives instead of going with the flow and actually enjoying their vacation!

Thanks again...hope to see you soon!
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

No complaints here. Beautifully landscaped property located in the hills above Rincon. You will need a car to get around, and will want to explore both the Caribbean and Atlantic beaches, so the lack of direct beach access is not a problem. Excellent food and drinks at the Rum Shack. Try the Rumshackle.

We stayed in room 101 which was very private and located at the back of the property away from the pool. Only one little quibble with the room --- I wish there was a towel rack and full length mirror.

I'm confused by the reviewer's statement below that Rincon is too Americanized. There are many American owned stand alone restaurants and bars in Rincon. However, we saw almost no American chains, and there were many Caribbean establishments as well including some where I heard no English spoken.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
BirdLady, Owner at Lazy Parrot Inn, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Thank you for your lovely review! I have to be honest, the room you were assigned, was recently remodeled. Thanks for pointing out the details we missed in the rush to get it finished!

I also appreciated your comment on the previous review, giving another opinion on the Americanization of Rincon. For those of you who don't know, Puerto Ricans are Americans. Rincon's melting pot reaches to the four corners of the globe. We hope all our visitors enjoy our multi-lingual, multi-cultural community.

lzparrot@lazyparrot.com

Been to Lazy Parrot Inn? Share your experiences!