“Truly Fabulous!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Drinks, Reservations
Bayonne, New Jersey
“Truly Fabulous!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

I've been vacationing in Rincon for the last seven years, and somehow never dined at Pancho Villa until now. What have I been missing?! We went twice during our stay earlier this month. The first time, we had margaritas (which, because of the time we were dining, were half price) and the sombreritos (a beef filled "mini empanada" shaped like a little sombrero) for an appetizer. The sombreritos, frankly, were okay, but nothing special. It was the rest of the meal, however, that stood out. I had the mahi mahi (cooked inside a banana leaf), which was nicely prepared (more peppers would have been nice, though). Dad had the churrasco (skirt steak). Many restaurants in PR serve churrasco, but this was incomparable! He was saying how good it was, the best he has had anywhere, and offered me a taste. The steak simply melted in the mouth, and the delicate use of Mexican spices truly enhanced the flavor without smothering the taste of the beef. The vegetables served with the entrees were perfectly cooked (firm . . . exactly how I would cook them), and the corn on the cob that we ordered with our entrees was sweet and delicious. For dessert, we had the hot fudge burritos. This dessert is unique, warm fudge wrapped inside a pastry (so it is kinda like a burrito), with a scoop of a high quality vanilla ice cream. After our first meal there, I decided that we would dine there again, so I could have the excellent churrasco. On the second visit, service was a little slow; apparently everyone dining arrived at the restaurant in fairly rapid succession, including a very large party that arrived shortly after we did, so the kitchen got caught unprepared. Furthermore, the unique house sangria (made with watermelon juice and white wine), which I wanted to try, wasn't ready and would have been very "lumpy" had it been served at the time. This time we had the jalapeno poppers for starters, which were excellent, and we both had the churrasco, vegetables, and corn on the cob, all of which were just as outstanding as last time, only there was a slightly long wait (though not unreasonably long). Now I don't mind a reasonable wait so long as the food it worth it, but the waiter (who was also tending bar) was so apologetic about the delay (and, I suspect, the unavailability of the sangria) that he gave me my drink (I ended up ordering a mojito) on the house! Since Dad didn't order a drink, he also charged us for only one dessert, instead of two (again, we had the hot fudge burritos). He really didn't have to do that, as we were satisfied with the meal, but it shows a remarkable sensitivity to the customer's dining experience. On leaving, I thanked him for the complimentary drink and dessert, and told him to tell the chef how much we enjoyed our meal. I have since recommended Pancho Villa to my sister, who is presently in Rincon, and plans to go there tomorrow night. Dad and I will certainly go back again, and I'm looking forward to finally getting to try that sangria! By the way, although the restaurant's bar gets a lot of business, because of the happy hour, I would hardly describe it as a bar that serves food, as one previous reviewer did.

• Visited July 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Mayaguez, Puerto Rico
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Terrible experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

We wait too long to be serve, half and hour just for the drinks. Service was awful. Food wasn't that good and too expensive for the portion and quality. Never again.

• Visited July 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Isla de Vieques, Puerto Rico
“Food was average..more of a bar than a restaurant”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2011

This establishment had average food and the restaurant seemed more like a bar with food than a restaurant with a bar. The staff was friendly but you could hardly order for the loud -LOUD- DJ music. We do not recommend this establishment for a family meal. The location, however, on Rincon Plaza was primo!

• Visited April 2011
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Houston, TX
“Don't miss this one”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2010

Wonderful food. Fantastic service. Live singer. Extremely attentive. When you finish dinner be sure to go next door to the bakery. So cheap we thought they made a mistake. Owner was a doll!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Delaware
“Just had dinner there”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2010

One of the best restaurants in Rincon, and right on the plaza. Great good, fantastic, friendly service, The food arrived super fast. Drinks were great! Should be a stop for anyone in Rincon!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere