“Nice Presentation and That's It.” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Caribbean, Puerto Rican
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
new york
“Nice Presentation and That's It.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I usually don't like to write a bad review, and always look for a something positive to say, but this was one experience that left a bad taste in my mouth, literally, My husband had a Pina Colada - no rum -- which was tasteless and mostly ice. He said he could get a better slurpy at 7-11. I had the mofongo with chicken, The mofongo was not in a bowl shape but a pyramid, and was gritty, dry and was saved in taste only by the broth served with it on the side. The chicken was like fried pieces of dark meat grizzle, and I have had better at KFC. My husband had shrimp in a chardonnay sauce which was mostly like lemon butter with wine to hide a strange fishy taste. We thought dessert would be better..a brownie with ice cream on top how could you ruin that? The brownie was burnt with a nasty taste and the ice cream was icy like it had been left open in the freezer too long. We ate most of it only because we hate to waste food, but I left most of mine on the plate. We also had mozzarella sticks which tasted like they pretty much came frozen from a box served with a side of jarred tomato sauce, and that was the best part of the meal.

The ambiance was awful as well. Red chairs that were just weird and some red paint on the walls and a gated type fence that made me feel like I was in a prison or something. Some of the tables had folding chairs as you would use with a card table. The artwork was nice though. There was an odd fishy smell as you walked in and garbage in the corner. A perfect spot for one of those TV shows where they come in and fix the place up. I don't even want to know what the kitchen looked like.

We just wanted to get out of there and fast, but when the check came and my husband told the waiter we had the card all ready, he just ignored him and walked away. For the price and the hype, I was very disappointed, but we paid for our meal and left politely.

• Visited February 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Juan G, Owner at Red Flamboyan Restaurant, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
I sorry you dont like what you order. A lot of people love our food,maybe you can try another food selection. The mofongo with broth and chicken this is how is served in all Puerto rican restaurant. This is a taditional to puertorrican. Next time you can try other mofongo like with shrimp, paella, pasta or other thing. We open 1 year ago and with make a renovation hape you dont se the old restaurant that was very ugly and messy. We make some changed and hope to make more to be better each day. See you soon

San Sebastian, Puerto Rico
“Not as good as reviews tell you”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

I am a Puerto Rican that knows about Puerto Rican food. On February 02,2013 I visited the Red Flamboyan restaurant with my sister,brother in law and my wife. We selected The Red Flamboyan restaurant because of the reviews it has on Tripadvisor. This restaurant food is average not the five star that it is getting. Why? Here is why.
MY sister ordered 'Mofongo with chicken',this order was good but not great. She also ordered Rice and beans. This order was two star,that means below average. My wife ordered a fried fish which was also a two start. I ordered Shrimps and 'Majado de vianda' which was very salted. If it has not been salted it would have earned an average. because of the salted condition I gave it a two start.
The desserts were below average. My brother in law ordered a cheese cake which he did not like. I ordered a cream brulee which I did not like either.So the desserts get a two start.
We also ordered orderves which got a four stars.
On Tripadvisor reviews I notice that some people complaint about service waiting time. In our case,the service was excellent.
So summing up, the food was salted, they said that the fish was not fresh(frozen), and a basic dish like Rice and beans was below average.
This information comes from a person that knows what Puerto Rican food should be.
Believe me, this is an average restaurant and not the four and five stars that people are giving.
Yes; it is very difficult to find the place.
They need to improve the way they cook before deserving a four or five stars that they are getting.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Juan G, Manager at Red Flamboyan Restaurant, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
I am so sorry that you didn't like annything that you order. Its rare to fine someone that dont like even the dessert that all the people liked it. Some people liked it. Some people not, thats why we have a diversity of pleces to eat.
Rincon
“Great place to grab local cuisine”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

This is a great place to go for local puerto rican food in Rincon. We were a little wary when the restaurant was remodeled (a year or two ago?) but they did a great job maintaining the same authentic ambiance as the old Red Flamboyan and the food is definietely better. I thought the paella was really good and it's a large enough portion to share (even if you have a big eater with you!). Cheap buckets of Medalla a sweet perk.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Boston, Massachusetts
“Excellent!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013 via mobile

Food was excellent...prices are great for the quality of food. We ordered a rum punch, frozen drink, appetizer for 1, kids pasta, fish mofongo & mahi mahi total was $56.59. Everything we ordered had a lot of flavor. The service was great. Highly recommend. Pools Beach I right down the road.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Ellicott City, Maryland
“nice but not great.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

the food was presented well, but wasn't the best i had during my stay. Honestly the food at tamboo was much more imaginative and delicious.

Visited November 2012