“Superb for beginners!” 5 of 5 stars

787-823-4191
Website
Improve this listing
More attraction details
Owner description: Beginners will learn basic techniques and have a great foundation and knowledge to continue and practice their skills anywhere they travel. Intermediate to advanced level clients will be able to work on technique, improving form and developing their own personal style while accompanied by experienced Instructors. Instructors are registered lifeguards and CPR trained. Lots of fun guaranteed!
Rochester, New York
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Superb for beginners!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2012

We planned two days surfing in puerto rico and booked before hand with boarding house. However, first day morning Erica let us know that the weather was not good and they could not take us. As it was our only chance we tried with another surf school from the tripadvisor list and they took us. However the beach was not a beginner's beach and we struggled a lot paddling out to the sea and catching a wave to atleast surf lying down let alone standing up.The trainer was great but the beach was just not for beginners like us. We even decided that surfing was too hard and planned something else for the next day. But we decided to give another go and called Erica the next day. She sent us to a beach which looked perfect for beginners and it sooo was. Derek and Samuel were great trainers and we were glad we went for it. We even stood on the board and caught some nice long waves.

Visited March 2012

Houghton, Michigan
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Couldn't be better”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2012

Erica was friendly and very helpful with booking events. She had a lot of suggestion for places to go and things to do.

Carlos was an excellent surf instructor and very patient. He also was an interesting person to talk to and was very insightful on local culture.

I would strongly recommend organizing a trip through the boarding house. They offer a more unique experience than staying at a hotel or resort!

Visited February 2012
Newton, Massachusetts
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“I had an amazing time and I recommend The Boarding House for anybody looking to have a fun adventure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

I did not want to try surfing because i am afraid of the ocean. I entered the water just hoping to survive and Carlos kept me surfing, laughing, and enjoying nature until I was too tired to keep paddling. It was the best workout I have ever had. I now love surfing and I cannot stop. Thank you Boarding House for giving me such a wonderful sport which I now enjoy year round no matter how cold the water gets where I live. I cannot wait to return to Rincon.
Sincerly,
Ben in Boston

Lexington, Massachusetts
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“AWESOME surfing experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2012

My husband and I had a fantastic time taking our first surfing lessons ever. Erica made booking the lessons before arriving in PR very easy, and was friendly and accommodating about the timing. The lessons were at beautiful Jobos Beach in Isabela, which was a bit of a drive from Rincon, but once we were there it was clear why Carlos had chosen that spot for beginners. It is a cove with a wide beach, a sand bar and gentle waves. Carlos was extremely welcoming and relaxed. He gave simple, clear instructions on the beach for about 20 mins, and then we were out in the water! It was very apparent that Carlos cared about each person's experience, and there was a lot of individual attention. The other instructors were also very friendly, helpful and chill. (Check out Jose Tavarez, one of the instructors, on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ES4Ez23IBXw. He is a competitive surfer, and there is a nice video of him.) We had a blast! We were up on our boards quite a bit for first timers! It turned into an amazing all day adventure, and just a great, fun day with really nice people .

I would definitely recommend lessons with Boarding House Surf School to family and friends, and I would love to go back to Rincon and take more lessons myself!

NJ
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Carlos was a great teacher”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

Took my kids surfing for the day with Carlos. My kids are 17, 15, 11, 6 & 6. None had ever tried before. My 17 & 11 year olds, who are snow boarders, got the hang of it right away. Carlos was fantastic and was extremely patient, especially with my 15 year old who could not get the hang of it (she kept on getting on her knees before standing up which does not work). He also got my twin six year olds up right away (it is very easy for them since they weigh so little).

The beach he took us to was perfect for beginners and beautiful. The only negative I can say was that beach was about 45 minutes from Rincon which he did not tell us about and it was a little tricky following him. So before you go, clarify where he is taking you and make sure you have his cell number.