“Very slow” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
High Wycombe, England, United Kingdom
“Very slow”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

My husband and I popped in here on our way to the New Forest for the weekend, hoping for a quick sandwich and drink on a Friday afternoon. The restaurant is nicely decorated, roomy and ambient but the service was poor, the food quite overpriced for what it is, and the wait was painfully slow...45 mins for a fish finger sandwich and a steak baguette? It wasnt even very nice. We will not be returning.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Basingstoke, United Kingdom
“Much room for improvement”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

My partner and I have eaten here a couple of times in the past. The first occasion was terrible, but the last visit was much improved so we thought we would try it again today. Sadly it has gone back to its old ways. Drinks took quite a long time to appear which gave me time to notice the cutlery holder (metal tankard) was covered with the remnants of previous diner visits, surely a simple wipe with the cloth used for the (sticky) table would deal with this. The starter was fine although my breaded mushrooms were warm rather than hot. My partner's brie was acceptable but she was informed after about 20 mins from ordering,that her vegertarian suet roly-poly main course, that it was not available. The only other vegetarian offering was a bean burger which she declined in favour of salmon en croute. Salmon is one of her favourite fish dishes so she knows what to expect. When it arrived, the texture was nothing like any she had eaten before, not pink delicate flakes but off-white large flakes, more like cod with a slight pink tinge. No taste of salmon either, maybe it was caught in the Mekong Delta? It was so bad that she sent it back. The dead pan expression of the waitress who mumbled a half hearted apology was not really appreciated. They did knock it off the bill though. To cap it all no roast chicken was available, on a Sunday at 6:00p.m.? Also no napkins were provided, I had to hunt some down, no salt and pepper cruets on the table, and no-one asked during the course of our meal if everything was alright or if we wanted any more drinks. We shall not be returning here, overpriced, poor service, poor food, shame because its in a nice location and the building has character. Lastly, it may be a coincidence, but my partner is feeling quite queasy this evening which is unlike her.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“Impressed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

I took the family here tonight and it was the spare of the moment thing. I called the restaurant and they we lucky enough to have spaces available.

We were seated promptly, the service was great. The most important thing was the food, and this was great. I had the burger and chips and was happy with it and it was at a reasonable price. The rest of my party were happy with their food.

The venue is lovely and I would recommend this to my friend and family.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Binfield
“Not impressed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

Popped in with my wife as we were passing
We were last there a year ago and had a great meal so decided to pop in for lunch

Waitress greeted us pleasantly enough and drinks were brought to the table promptly
That was the end of the good experience
Soup had to go back as was cold-how difficult is it to adequately microwave a bowl of soup??
Pork belly was unimpressive and pudding went back as that was cold too!!
The wait between courses was far too long too
Worse still spent all afternoon feeling queezy and upset stomach
Wont ever be "popping in" again
Shame as it is a lovely location but the rest is just way below acceptable

• Visited February 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“the long long wait..!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

We arrived here by accident... the pub down the road that we had all planned to dine at had suffered a power cut.
On arrival we were shown to a table, the waitress quickly took a drinks order, she brought the drinks, she then took our food order and after that she disappeared for 45 minutes. When we were able to get hold of a member of staff we were told our food was being "plated up" and would be with us in two minutes, it took a further 15 minutes for any food to arrive. When I brought the matter of order times to the manageress attention she was offhand and had the nerve to blamed her staff and the fact they were busy..! I could never employ her with that attitude and she needs to learn that there is only one opportunity to make a first impression with your customers.
I don't think that taking orders from customers and then keeping them waiting a full hour after without letting them know at the time of ordering that there will be a delay is acceptable.
And to crown it all we'd ordered the roast beef "with all the trimmings" it said on the menu... we never got any Yorkshire puddings but I suppose there not part of "all the trimmings". We shall never return..

• Visited February 2014