“Great Place for food” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Derby Inn

The Derby Inn
Bartley Heath, North Warnborough, Hook RG29 1HD, England (Formerly The Lord Derby Inn & Stocks Restaurant)
01256 702283
Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: English
Good for: Families with children, Entertaining clients
Good for: Families with children, Entertaining clients
“Great Place for food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

I have to say not the comfiest place and lacking atmosphere a little, but that is just the building and everything possible has been done to change that! The staff are great and the food very good, what more could you want.

Visited July 2014

67% Recommend
“Great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

Went for a bar snack in the sun. Staff were OK, steak sandwich was awesome and I reckon would be lovely on an evening when really busy

“Lovely lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

I visited the Derby with a friend for lunch with no expectations as had never been here before or read any reviews ( until I came to write my own,). However, our experience was very different to the previous reviews . We shared whitebait which was superbly fresh and very delicious. Portion was big. Then we had the risotto which was a special. delicious and cooked properly. Again a generous portion. I am very fussy when eating out as do enjoy good food and wasn't disappointed. The service was good too.

• Visited June 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Salty disappointment”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

My friends and I ate at the Derby last night and this is the first time we've eaten there for getting on for 2 years due to a disappointing meal at that time. We heard there had been changes so thought we would give it another go. We were amazed at the emptiness of the pub. In the past it's been standing room only on a Friday but yesterday we were one of two parties eating there.
The starter was home made soup and home made rolls. Soup was completely over seasoned - peppered to within an inch of its life with an overload of salt too. The bread was so solid I could have played rounders with it. The idea of home made soup and bread is lovely and really not hard to achieve for anyone with a basic understanding of cookery. We were asked how it was so gave our feedback but unsure whether it will have got through.
For the main I had salmon and spinach in filo with dill mash. Again should be lovely but so over seasoned with salt it was quite ruined. We weren't asked how the main was so didn't give feedback as at that point was feeling a little fed up. As we were relaxing into choosing our dessert, from the bar area erupted an almighty "yes" as, we presume, someone was clearly delighted that a goal had been scored during the game they were watching on the TV. At that point we left, without dessert and without tip. Not the fault of the serving staff as they were attentive but generally disappointed and sadly won't go back nor will we recommend it.
The Derby is in an idyllic situation and boasts local food, which unfortunately is ruined by an incompetent in the kitchen and insensitivity to diners who really do not want to hear football enthusiastic supporters. Clearly the absence of clientele tells a story. I would recommend that your cook becomes a chef, it would really help your reputation but it seems you may have a long way to go. FCW

• Visited May 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“Shockingly terrible ”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

My mum had a lovely roast lunch here a couple of weeks ago so she took the family for a meal today, unfortunately we caught them at a very bad time and they delivered shocking, awful roast dinners. It was late on bank holiday Monday so we were 'end of line'. In fact we were so end of line they wiped roasts off the board while we were eating. Beef was pure fat, most dinners were luke warm, potatoes were rock hard (possibly twice cooked) and we were told there was no apple sauce for pork or mint sauce for lamb. They simply should not have risked their reputation by continuing with roasts. One of our party choked on a roast potato and had to run outside to clear his airwaves. We ate most of our food because we were all hungry and the staff made us feel like we were trying to spoil their day deliberately. They agreed with what we complained about and gave us discount, but it still worked out expensive for plates of food we would not have presented to our dogs. I was astounded that a professional chef would let my first attempt of a meal out of the kitchen, the second attempt was better until I tried a potato which resembled a conker. There was no crackling on the pork, it was end of line dregs and tasted horrible. The starters were lovely, the fish and chips were good but the toast dinners (which 6 out of 7 of us ordered) were shocking. Really bad food. Beer is nice.