“Clean, tidy and friendly” 4 of 5 stars

The Riverside Hotel
123 Station Road, Surfleet PE11 4DG, England   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Surfleet B&B and Inns
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Clean, tidy and friendly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

We enjoyed a weekend at the riverside hotel and found the staff and hotel very accommodating.
Breakfast was hot and tasty, the evening meal was exactly what we ordered and all out at the same time even with 15 of us for dinner.
I would stay here again and found the staff very helpful and attentive.

Room Tip: Room 5 and 6 has a nice view of the river
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Swindon, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Just got back from the riverside 07/07/2013

This is the worse place I have ever stayed in, never again is an understatement.

We booked 2 rooms for my mother and aunt who was over from Australia, and my wife and I.

This hotel is very dirty and run down, the stairs are extremely steep.

Our bed was horrid dirty mattress, we put towels over this under the sheet, because my wife refused to sleep on it, in fact we tried to leave as soon as we got there, but would have lost our money .
There was hair in the bed, and the shower was filthy, as is the entire building.
The beds are horrendous, and we could not wait until daylight so we could get up and leave.

My mothers room was the same with a filthy toilet to boot.

The breakfast was horrid the toast is thin bread and anaemic, and the egg rock hard and crispy underneath, we had the full English that was just bearable.

would I stay there again not if it was the last place in Lincolnshire, don't waste your money.

The ship in which is very near is lovely, we wished they'd had the rooms spare, but they never.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
RiversideSurfleet, Owner at The Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
im sorry that steve felt he had to write such a scathing review on my property.However the stairs are a bit steep but the building was built in1900. He mentioned about wanting to leave purely because his mother had a recent operation and he was worried the stairs would be too much for her and he even asked where the nearest hospital was in case his mother took ill..Apart from that no mention was made of any of the other comments and his finding are incorrect as the hotel gets cleaned everyday from top to bottom, he was a very friendly and upfront gentleman and Im sure he would have mentioned at the time if there were any problems. Finally when his mum and her friend were leaving they forwarned me that he was in a grumpy mood and he may well make derogatory comments about the hotel but they said they had a lovely stay and would be back again in the future if they were in the area.

Travelers are raving about these Surfleet hotels

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

Visited for Sunday lunch with elderly relatives. Our table was in the conservatory which was really cold (it had been snowing that morning). They offered to turn the heater on but I couldn't understand why they hadn't done this in advance!! As a result a couple of us had to keep our coats on for the meal. Starters were average, prawns were small and defrosted from frozen not fresh, salad was slightly tired and was mostly peppers. Meat (with the exception of the beef) was chewy and the carrots were slightly under cooked and the parsnips were soggy and my Yorkshire pudding resembled a pancake! The gravy was good though. I didn't have a dessert but those that did said it was the best course. Overall it was underwhelming and I would recommend it. I will say, however that the staff were very friendly and prompt it just isn't a place for good food. Maybe it would be better in the summer for just a drink by the river.

• Stayed March 2013
RiversideSurfleet, Owner at The Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
I dont know what time the table arrived but the heater was turned on in the conservatory by myself at 11am and was definately warm enough prior to our customers arriving. All prawns served in local restaurants will normally come from the freezers and be properly defrosted prior to service. Fresh prawns could be made available but the cost would be prohibitive for a sunday lunch. None of the meats were tough as I try them all myself to ensure that they are not. I appologise for the flat yorkshire pudding but sometimes they dont rise but this should have been changed for one that did. If the veg or anything else was not right something should have been said at the time and we would have swiftly dealt with the problem. Im sorry your experience wasnt as good as it should be and I do hope you will give us another chance to prove ourselves to you
Barnstaple, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012 via mobile

On checking in, I was given a very friendly welcome by Maz who is a credit to the hotel. On being shown my room, it was clean and tidy but a bit on the small side.
The bed was very comfortable and I got a good nights sleep.
Generally the room was clean and well equiped.
Be wary of room 4 if your a light sleeper. This room contains the boiler which fires up all night and may keep lighter sleepers awake. Also this room is small and gets very hot quickly. I had to keep a window cracked open in December to cool the room.
One of the down sides of the hotel was that it shuts at around 1400 in the afternoon. If you are not in the hotel at this time, or wish to leave, you will be unable to get back in until it reopens at 1730.

• Stayed December 2012
Farnborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

We stayed at this hotel whilst visiting friends in the area.
The room was clean and warm. The other rooms also looked like they had been newly decorated. The shower was powerful and hot.
The young staff were friendly and the pub/restaurant seemed to be popular with locals for both drinking and dining. Although we weren't able to use it (due to the weather) there was a large decking area overlooking the river as well as the conservatory.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Spalding
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Came to Riverside for Sunday lunch, having checked out the menu on the website as there were vegetarians in our party.
Nothing on the web site said that they used a different menu for Sunday lunch but when we arrived we were given cheap laminated pieces of paper showing the Sunday lunch menu.
Lo and behold..there was a vegetarian option, as in 1, no choice in what to eat. If is was just me and my husband we would have left but with a party of nine, it would be difficult to find somewhere else at such short notice.
The mushroom stroganoff with rice was ok, though my husband didnt like it at all, but I was very disappointed as there were several other dishes on their menu that could have been accompanied by the yorkshire pudding, roasties etc and this is what I was expecting to have.
The traditonal meat lunch was reported as ok...nothing to rush back for.

Service was so-so...my mum goes there every month and even though they knew we were all there for her birthday, I don't think anyone actually made the effort to give her their good wishes.

All in all, not awful, just mediocre and definately not a place I will go back to

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Spalding
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

I booked online for a four night stay. Upon arrival at the premises I was ushered to a door at the bottom of some stairs adjacent to the bar. I was neither greeted or taken and showed the room.

The stairwell is very shabbily decorated and unfinished, which should have acted as indicator as to the standard of the room. I was given a twin room, I booked a double. Now where shall I start:

The window blinds where filthy. There was, what appeared to be, rubbish strewn on the balcony outside my window. The bin in the room was full and has not been emptied since the departure of the last guest. The wash basin had residual hand cleaner in it. The light in the bathroom contained numerous dead flies and was acting as an anchor point for a cobweb which stretched to the bathroom door. The fit out and amenities of the room were very poor.

I attempted to arrange alternative accommodation instantly, but was unable to locate anywhere in the vacinity. I therefore decided to go to bed. I was unable to sleep due to the jukebox playing loudly downstairs until approximately 11:15, persons outside the pub shouting (whilst presumably smoking) and other guests (pity-their-souls) walking back and to from their rooms.

I checked out in the morning and will seek alternative arrangements. Believe me, I am not the sort of person to type reports on this kind of website. After this experience.........it is an absolute must to prepare others. At £50 a night the rooms are way over priced and they should be advertised at £20 - £25 per night budget accommodation.

Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Surfleet
St. Nicholas Country House Hotel
The Mansion House Hotel
The Mansion House Hotel
#3 of 6 in Holbeach
4.0 of 5 stars 51 reviews

Been to The Riverside Hotel? Share your experiences!