We reserved 2 rooms for one night. The hotel was clean, updated, and staff was friendly and apologetic with our concerns. When you arrive by car, you pull in to their front area, go up the stairs/elevator one floor to the lobby to check-in. You are allowed to leave your car (several spaces) there to unload belongings to your room, but then must drive around to the 'back' of the hotel to park your car for the duration of your stay. Not a problem, but good to know since it is not your typical hotel setup. The other option would be to park your car in the parking lot for the night and enter in the walking escalator concourse with your belongings to get to the hotel lobby (park near in hotel area, zone 6 or 8, a or b). The hotel food was a bit expensive and was a bit posh for what we were looking for with kids and grandparents in company. We walked over to the airport (used the enclosed walking escalators) and ate at the cafe just before security. (There is also a sandwich shop and coffee bar near this cafe. You can get a pass from the hotel's front desk staff to go thru airport security so you can eat at other restaurants inside the airport, but you have to present ID to front desk staff and be through security no later than 7pm.) We would highly recommend the cafe. We enjoyed beer, great salads, burgers, and chicken fingers for a good price. (No milk there for the wee ones, but juices and lemonade). We hit the 'gift shop' at the airport for some water (in the room bottled water was $3.50) and snacks. Once back at the hotel, I realized I forgot my contact lens case before going to bed and called down to the front desk. Staff told me there is no hotel gift shop so we had to go to the one in the airport. Not a long walk, but was closed already for the night.
We had several concerns with the hotel. If we only had one concern it may not be worth mentioning but because there were several between the 2 rooms I think it is good to share...
- Upon our arrival, the TV did not work in either room, but was easily fixed by calling front desk staff. They explained that the cable cord gets loose when the cleaning crew is in the rooms. It was a loose cord in both rooms.
- The telephone in one of the rooms only received 1/3 calls made to the room, we were able to leave a message that they could retrieve. They were in the room, but only heard it ring 1/3x. This problem interfered with their stay as their requested hotel wake-up call the next morning never rang in the room.
- The sheets on both beds in one room were ripped in several areas. The front desk staff offered for housekeeping to come change the linens.
- Housekeeping entered room to clean thinking we had already checked out, but we hadn't. They entered the room just before 9:30am and we checked out officially at the front desk at 11:30am (checkout was noon). The room looked to be vacant, but was not yet vacant by us. We should have put the do not disturb sign up.
- We did not get the usual receipt under the door on the morning of check-out. Thankfully we did an official checkout at the front desk as we were charged the wrong price for both room reservations. I noticed it before we left the hotel and once the staff looked at the email confirmation on my phone they altered the price.
Another thing to note is the wi-fi is not free. We also were attending a dance competition at the hotel in the ballrooms. The light switches are sensitive and accessible by the general public. Over the course of 90 minutes the lights accidentally went out 3 times. This is a real safety concern since competitors were dancing when they went off and the room went dark.
I shared all of my concerns with staff before leaving and explained that I was going to share it out on TripAdvisor. I always do this when I am going to say anything negative about an establishment. (I was given an apology by front desk staff, but never referred to a manager nor did I request it).
Most of the rooms are away from the elevators. We were 2/3 down the hall and had very little hallwa...
See more room tips
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Thank you for your review, theplaceswego. Thank you for your business and feedback. We have implemented a new television cord in all of our guestrooms since your review, so we are no longer experiencing any issues with the televisions. We also do not deliver receipts under the doors without request, as we offer to have all receipts emailed at check in, and have a front desk staffed 24 hours a day. We do take pride in our clean guestrooms, and are pleased that you commented on your room.
Report response as inappropriate
We hope you choose Hyatt for your next trip to Pittsburgh, if there is ever anything I can do for you please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel. Thank you again, have a great day.
Chris Palid – Director of Rooms
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.