Agree with previous comments - five star in looks but not five star in service. Its the little things that make the difference between a 4 & a 5 star hotel and this place didn't get the little things.
Firstly the rooms are fabulous, we had a beautiful lakeview double with a fabulous view. The beds were comfortable but they had the European approach of putting two single duvets on two single beds pushed together - not exactly a king room in Ireland! The bathroom was fabulous, amazing shower and huge deep bath. We found the rooms to be very quiet, the only niggle was our next neighbour who seemed to chain smoke on his balcony meaning we had to close the doors or our room ending up stinking of smoke. According to reception there is little they can do about people smoking on a balcony...hhmmm...I've stayed in plenty of hotels where they have done something.
The facilities are great, the pool / spa area is really nicely done and is definitely a five star experience. The outdoor pool is lovely and warm with amazing views. We found that towels were replenished frequently around the pool area and water cups etc removed.
Our biggest complaint was the quality of the food and the lax attitude to service. We ate room service twice for lunch during our stay and on both occasions, it was excellent, both service and food. Breakfast too was very good with a great choice and no queues. Dinner was where we really felt cheated by the hotel. We ate in the Panorama restaurant on our first night as a treat - at between €10 - €15 for a starter and €25 - €38 for a main course, it was not expected to be a regular dining experience. The food was dreadful considering the price. All of our dishes came with unexpected ingredients that were not mentioned on the menu i.e. dill sauce with mozzarella, cherries with the beef. The duck had to be sent back as it was so tough that it could not be cut. This was replaced by (at my choice) the most disgusting risotto I have ever tasted- an apple, fennel and smoked cheese risotto. The general manager was disinterested in our comments and appeared annoyed that we were not enjoying his "fabulous" food. Despite the duck and mozzarella both being removed from the price of the bill, we still paid €140 for dinner for one with two desserts and a bottle of wine (wine was €30) - not cheap given the standards. For those prices in Dublin, you would expect excellent food and even an amuse bouche.
On the second night we ate in the brasserie, the food here was much better, we ate burgers and steak which were both excellent although not cheap at €20 for a burger! The dessert buffet was the saving grace of the dining experience - it was fabulous!! What a great idea to have a buffet of desserts for guests to help themselves to in the lounge.
Overall, a lovely hotel stay but disappointing dining. For the prices being charged for the Panorama restaurants, the quality of food would really want to be improved. Oh and one more big niggle for an Irish person - why don't you use salted butter? Kerry is home of one of Irelands most famous exports - Kerrygold butter - I was astonished to find that the only option was unsalted butter in this hotel, that is definitely not typically Irish.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on the shores of Lough Lein, The 5 Star Europe Hotel and Resort has been welcoming guests for over fifty years and has reopened after a 70m face lift which includes the stunning 4,600 sq.m. spa called ESPA at The Europe. From the moment you cross the threshold of the hotel you step into another world. A magnificent two story atrium with glass doors leads onto a garden terrace with a view of the lake and the mountains beyond which leaves you breathless. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Odigeo, Travelocity, Agoda, Priceline and Hotels.com so you can book your The Europe Hotel & Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Europe Hotel And Resort
- The Europe Hotel Killarney
- Europe Hotel Killarney