“Could so easily be fantastic...but..!!!!!....” 3 of 5 stars

Special Rate
B&B€120ppsh Golfside Room
Ranked #2 of 3 hotels in Fossa
Dublin, Ireland
“Could so easily be fantastic...but..!!!!!....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2011

We recently spent 2 nights midweek in July. We had previously stayed in the Lakes hotel but decided to have dinner in the Europe to see how good it was. Based on the dinner we decided to splash out and spend 2 nights in the Lakeview room on the 4th floor.
There is no doubt that first impressions are so important. We drove up the driveway and parked the car. We wheeled our cases to the front door....3 steps up...no ramp. The revolvong door made wheeling the cases in rather awkward. No door man to assist.
The lady at check in was in the "doing a job mode". She did not make any special effort to say welcome etc.
We were given a 2nd floor room first and asked could we go higher. She said no and advised us that the room was being cleaned at 2pm.
We went outside and 20 minutes later we were given the room key. She had crossed out the original room number and over written the new one without telling us.
We got lost trying to find the room as the directions we got were for the room on the second floor.
The room was spacious with a lovely balcony. The bathroom was very small in comparison and got very stuffy after taking a shower.
The view from our balcony was super.
The Spa was stunning particularly the pool outside.
The sitting lounge with the candle sticks and firepalces is just awesome.
The restaurant is fine but when the sunshines the heat is too much to take as the windows were not opened.
The eveing meal was fine.
We often stay at the Four Seasons in Dublin as our quarterly treat. There is just no comparison in standard in particular the staff, the bedrooms and the athmosphere.
The Hotel Europe should engage someone who has trained 5star staff and I believe this will significantly uplift this hotel.
After our meal at the hotel in May I emailed the Europe and asked them to email me with any special offers. I know 2 people read the mail, but I got no reply.
Similarily when I booked the meal I asked them for a special table as it was our anniversary. No reply. I phoned and asked about the mail, to which I was told they were "going to respond". They promised a special table. When we arrived we were told that the seating would be on a first come served basis. No mention during the meal at all re our anniversary. This is just the opposite to the wonderful Four Seasons.
I really wish that the Europe could be better as it has so much going for it. However until that happens we will happily return to the Four Seasons for real pampering.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

633 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

We stayed in this hotel for 2 nights as a special birthday treat for my wife and I.
On arrival we were met by a friendly gentleman at the door and we proceeded to reception, this area was perhaps the most negative area whereby the lady at reception was poor to give us information etc and i do believe that this role should be more of a visitor host than just a receptionist whereby they would show you around the hotel to its various attractions. However this was the only negative and a one that is easily sorted by the management.
The hotel lobby is just magnificent as are all the rooms adjoining.
The bedrooms were acceptable but to be honest i probably felt they should have been more luxurious given the other areas of the hotel.
The spa and leisure is the jewel in the crown with 50,000 square foot of pure relaxation, it is by far the best i have witnessed. Indeed when we called down on the first night to see the spa and pool area we were greeted by a brilliantly welcoming receptionist who was delighted to show us around.
The bar areas are great, The restaurant was great and the Dinner on the saturday was superb.
All in all a very pleasant and very enjoyable stay and i will return

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Tralee, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011

Without doubt the best hotel in Ireland, and I've been to quite a few. Its absolutely fabulous from the moment you walk in the front door. The staff was just wonderful and extremely helpful. Nothing is a problem, and there is no hint of the stuffiness that you sometimes get in a 5 Star hotel. The scenery is to die for and get a lake view room if you can - its well worth it.

We stayed there for one night for a family occasion on the friday of the June bank holiday and we had a great time. It was one of the few hot days we got this year. We took loads of photos down by the lake shore and then came up and had a wonderful dinner in the Panormam Restaurant. The food was beautiful and the staff could not have been better.

Full marks to Hotel Europe, we will be back. Sooner rather than later I hope.

I'm hoping to get back there for a night in August......... can't wait !!!!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

We went down to watch the Irish Open and stayed for two nights. Absolute luxury. The rooms, lobby, bars , restaurants and gardens . We had a golf view room which was lovely but the couple we went with had a lake view absolutely spectacular. Breakfast was one of the best i've had anywhere, will look forward to staying there again.

Room Tip: ask for an upgrade to a lake view room
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

My husband and I decided to have a quick weekend escape and chose Kerry as it was only and hours flight from Luton.
We were looking forward to a weekend of relaxation and a bit of sight seeing. On arrival to the hotel, which was NOT full, we were sent up to our room. Within a minute of arriving to the room, I was on the phone complaining. I had researched the hotel well before arrival and the room did not match any of the photos seen online. The room smelt musty and had not been updated to the standard of the rest of the hotel. There was no problem in changing our room, since there were plenty of rooms to be had - but I ask why did they have to give us the awful room in the first place, it only caused annoyance and upset.
For the rest of the stay - it is a beauitful hotel , with gorgeous surrounds. Not much choice of restaurants for dinner, only 2 and both extortionatley expensive around £120.00 for 2 per night, in fact everything felt very expensive.
Staff in the restaurant especially were efficient and friendly. The hotel is lovely, but somehow, I think that for the same amount of money, I would have had the same, better or similar experience at the Grove Hotel in Watford without the hassle of air travel.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

This hotel has a fantastic location and the scenery is worth the trip alone. Similar beauty is also to be experienced on the inside of the hotel (reception area, pool etc.) Unfortunately several events prevent me from giving this hotel a rave review. After arrival I received a lack-luster meal, very disappointing in every way! In order to cheer myself up, I decided to take a trip to the beautifully appointed spa. The beauty of the spa was overshadowed by the numerous nude men in the pool area. This was distressing to both me and my partner. The romantic nature of the location was soon ruined. After speaking with the management I received a less than convincing apology and I was informed that there was nothing that could be done and I was sent on my way. So I left vowing never to return.
P.S. the rooms are a disgrace for a 5* hotel, extremely old-fashioned decor coupled with a split double bed all combine to make this an experience that I wish to soon forget.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2011

It was a treat for my mum while visiting me in Ireland. We had a pleasant stay. SPA is superb!!! Girls in the SPA were fantastic. Luxury throughout the building with big lounges, spaciuos rooms and stunning gardens. Breakfast selection could have been better. Jennifer at the desk was FANTASTIC and made us feel very welcome. Other members of staff in the hotel felt to be efficient but distant and not as warm. Pity as they have an opportunity to work in such an amzing facility...

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends

Been to The Europe Hotel & Resort? Share your experiences!