“Great place, great staff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Tortugal

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rio Dulce
Tortugal
You added Tortugal to your Saves list
Rio Dulce, Guatemala   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Great place, great staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

A great hotel on the lake in rio dolce (were there at the beginning of August). Very beautiful hotel, great service by Alex, Valeriano, and the others. On a movie night they screened a great movie about Tikal, a couple of days before our trip up to Tikal. Great movie (free popcorn). Great private bungalow with a fan and a cover against mosquito over and around the bed. Great view, great kayak (free). The problem of those hotels on the lake is that they solitaire you from other restaurants and bars because you need a boat if you want to leave the hotel, so bring a book or a pack of cards. The restaurant of the hotel is clean and the food is great. Don't miss the smoothies!

• Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

The service was exceptional. They were very accommodating...especially with helping us find things to do in the area and there was a lot going on there in general. Food was good and they had options for every budget. We moved rooms to save some money and they made the experience easy and enjoyable.

• Stayed January 2013
iingua, Owner at Tortugal, responded to this review, August 24, 2013
What a nice surprise to receive your review. Perfect. Is a very hoped for compliment. We thank you and hope you will return again and that all your travels are wonderful, as they should be. Daphne
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Before I start off this review, I just want to fully thank my friend Steven for finding and booking dorm-room accommodations for us in this lovely (and lesser known within the backpacking community) place in Rio Dulce. I trusted his opinion about this place and didn't even get to check their website or reviews before I left Tikal for the four-hour bus ride. Once I got to Rio Dulce, I worked my way to the restaurant/cafe right by the river where all the American yachties hang out, radio'd the place, and someone came by boat to pick me up. The staff were very nice & friendly, spoke a certain degree of English but I spoke Spanish so it was fine. We pretty much had the whole dorm bungalow to ourselves while we stayed there! It was absolutely gorgeous, each bed had its own screened partition, the common area was cozy, and the bathrooms/showers were amazing! HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend this for anyone, whether you're on a budget or not. If their dorm room accommodations exceeded my expectations, I can only imagine what their private bungalows look like!

Room Tip: The "lanchas" (water taxis) are pretty expensive from going in and out of town, but you ca...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
iingua, Owner at Tortugal, responded to this review, August 24, 2013
Glad you enjoyed staying in the Nature House and very much appreciate your comments which I think will be helpful to other travelers looking for reasonable accomodations. Daphne
Valle de Bravo, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

It looked a bit foreboding, getting in a little skiff and going to an unknown destination, but the real risky travelors know that sometimes the best secrets are always hidden. We enjoyed the paradise on the Rio Dulce, not too far from the ole Pirate Cove San Felipe. They worked hard to make us happy. No A/C, but a good mosquito net, and just what a person is looking for, something like in the movie of the Swiss Family Robinson. The family I think are Danes, and their kids all worked the kitchen. It was great. Thumbs up in 7 categories. They do offer to pick people up after you park under the massive bridge over the Rio Dulce.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
iingua, Owner at Tortugal, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
I wish I could write in Dutch. I think I got the gist of your message and I Thank you for your lovely review. Daphne
Guatemala City, Guatemala
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

My daughter left her camera in our room, which we did not know until a few hours after leaving the hotel when we got a call from the hotel, informing us that a camera had been found in the room by the maids. Since we live in Guatemala City, the kind person in charge took the camera to the bus station, packed it up and sent it to the City for us to pick up at the bus station! Absolutely wonderfully refreshing to find such honesty and attention to service in any hotel, especially in Guatemala!!! My daughter would have been so, so sad to lose her dear camera. Thumbs up for Tortugal for great service!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
iingua, Owner at Tortugal, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
I am happy to hear your daughter got her camera back. We hope you will think of staying here when you are again in the area, we enjoyed having you here. Daphne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013 via mobile

Nice small hotel. Beautiful bungalows with private bad en good muskieto nettings. Book exchange and pool table. Food is ok. You can swim from the deck. Location is excellent. They pick you up from town.
Advice: a couple relaxing chairs/beds on the deck and restaurant

• Stayed April 2013
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

Well, the title says it all.
I stayed here with some friends while we were traveling through Guatemala and Honduras, and we had the time of our lives here.
If you like amazing food where everything is cooked fresh in the kitchen, incredible rooms and a very unique atmosphere, go to Tortugal.
The small down of Fronteras is just a short walk or boat ride away, but I didn't want to leave Tortugal at all. Why would I when we could swim in the 80+ degree river and eat the best food in Guatemala all day?
Just one snag, watch out for the scorpions. But if you're smart and watch your step you'll have a great time.

Room Tip: The Swamp House
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Tortugal? Share your experiences!