“High Atlas Mountain with Driss” 5 of 5 stars

Book ahead on Viator
Private Tour
$391*
and up
Private Tour: 2-Day Ait Benhaddou and Ouarzazate...
London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“High Atlas Mountain with Driss”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

We have been back from two trips- Imlil and Ouirgane valley- with Driss last May. It was the most relaxing, fun and well organised trips. We read about Driss from this precise website and thought to research about Driss. We found him! And found that he was a good guide.

We were travelling with our little toddler on our backpack and stayed in a Riad slightly further out from town. Driss was happy to pick us up even though it was slightly out of his way. He lives in Imlil so visiting his hometown was essential to understand the local context of where he grew up. Although so, we highly recommend Ouirgane valley if you're only planning to have one trip to the High Atlas Mountain. Driss organised a local guy Mohammed and his mule Katherina for the trek and every minute of the walk was just fantastic. We were even invited to Mohammed's home to have tea and lunch.

Driss took us around in the pace that suited us with our constant breaks to tend to our toddler on our back. He was also very good at interacting and playing with our little one which makes the trip for enjoyable for us.

Here's his website and we hope you have a lovely trip there someday. http://www.high-atlas-guide.com/

Hailsham, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“stunning views!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

We went to the mountains as part of a trip organised by Thomson. The views were stunning and even though the roads were narrow with steep drops I felt completely safe in the hands of our driver.
We were fortunate to visit a Berber house where the owner made us homemade bread, olive oil and Moroccan tea which was a lovely touch.
Well worth the visit!

Visited June 2013
Seattle, Washington
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“great hike and trek but challenegs wiht trekking company (Terre d'Ame) owner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

This is a mixed review. We (my wife and I) signed up for a 5 day/4 night trek to climb M'Goun in Morocco. The trek itself was fantastic - great scenery, outstanding guide (Ibrahim). Ibrahim has 25 years experience guiding, has a great sense of humor and cares immensely about taking care of his clients. The food prepared by the cook/muleteer (Aisa) was fantastic - created full three-course varied dinners including couscous, tagine, pasta and homemade bread. Couldn't have been better.

The disappointing side was dealing with Mohammed Imharkin, the owner of the company. He was quite disorganized. We had arranged for sleeping bags to be packed for us and we paid for them. He forgot to include them and we ended up sleeping somewhat uncomfortably under blankets. When I first mentioned this to him, he tried to say it was my fault for not reminding him. Later, he apologized and said he had too much going on so he forgot. He also did not let the cook and guide know that we had requested vegetarian food - they were surprised but somehow they pulled off the great meals. We also relied on him for transportation to the start/end point of the trip in Imighil. He ended up showing up very late to collect us from Marrekech - seemingly because he was juggling other clients. It was too late to leave, so we missed our first night of the trip. And for both of the rides to and from Imighil (which we paid for), he stopped for 2 hours to take care of his banking and internet business while we just waited. And the one night we stayed at his gite, the hot water was broken and he didn't serve dinner until 9:30 PM because he failed to arrange to have a cook until the last minute (his wife usually cooked, but she was away).

Because we had a great experience with the trek and our guides, it is not that we would not recommend trekking with this outfit. But if you do, confirm all arrangements both in advance and on-site and perhaps arrange your own travel to Imighil. Consider staying at another place in the valley instead of in his gite.

Visited June 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Good thing - professional outfit; bad thing - changed the price”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

I spent about 12 days hiking with Driss Lachguer and Ibrahim Lachguer in the Atlas mountains. Here are my thoughts:

The good
1. Professional outfit - they knew what they were doing and where they were going. They are very attentive to my needs during both the trekking and guesthouse administration aspects of the trip.
2. Flexible - they are able to provide a customized tour itinerary and wisely shifted the toubkal section of the trip to the middle as opposed to the end of the trip to avoid the inevitable rush at the end.
3. Good choice of guesthouses - the guesthouses they chose along the way meet my needs well. They know what Trekkers are looking for in a guesthouse after hiking for the majority of the day.

The bad
1. Changed the price - I agreed a price with Driss via email before I flew over and was informed by him that the price has changed once I arrived in Imlil (once I've flown over to marrakesh). He told me that he made an error and had some assumptions in setting the price in the email, which was not made clear in the email sent to me. I don't care what product or service I'm paying for - if a price is agreed and it changes subsequently, it's not good business practice.
2. The speaking language of the guide - before I came into morocco, there was no indication that I will be receiving a French speaking guide (which would have put the decision to choose trekking companies in my hand). When I arrived, I was given Ibrahim, a French speaking guide, for 6 days of the 12 day trek. The English language capacity of the guide is key towards determining the quality of the trek and I believe this was overlooked by the tour company in this case.

Yorkshire
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Atlas Mountains”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

This was amazing the views incredible, we also did some walking by a river and it was like a smaller version of the Grand Canyon. The off roading was abit scary but fun. We had lunch at a lovely hotel with beautiful views. Good day all round