“Good thing - professional outfit; bad thing - changed the price” 2 of 5 stars

Book a Tour

Type: Mountains
Attraction Details
Boston, Massachusetts
“Good thing - professional outfit; bad thing - changed the price”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

I spent about 12 days hiking with Driss Lachguer and Ibrahim Lachguer in the Atlas mountains. Here are my thoughts:

The good
1. Professional outfit - they knew what they were doing and where they were going. They are very attentive to my needs during both the trekking and guesthouse administration aspects of the trip.
2. Flexible - they are able to provide a customized tour itinerary and wisely shifted the toubkal section of the trip to the middle as opposed to the end of the trip to avoid the inevitable rush at the end.
3. Good choice of guesthouses - the guesthouses they chose along the way meet my needs well. They know what Trekkers are looking for in a guesthouse after hiking for the majority of the day.

The bad
1. Changed the price - I agreed a price with Driss via email before I flew over and was informed by him that the price has changed once I arrived in Imlil (once I've flown over to marrakesh). He told me that he made an error and had some assumptions in setting the price in the email, which was not made clear in the email sent to me. I don't care what product or service I'm paying for - if a price is agreed and it changes subsequently, it's not good business practice.
2. The speaking language of the guide - before I came into morocco, there was no indication that I will be receiving a French speaking guide (which would have put the decision to choose trekking companies in my hand). When I arrived, I was given Ibrahim, a French speaking guide, for 6 days of the 12 day trek. The English language capacity of the guide is key towards determining the quality of the trek and I believe this was overlooked by the tour company in this case.

Yorkshire
5 attraction reviews
“Atlas Mountains”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

This was amazing the views incredible, we also did some walking by a river and it was like a smaller version of the Grand Canyon. The off roading was abit scary but fun. We had lunch at a lovely hotel with beautiful views. Good day all round

Istanbul
“Hiking with Driss”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

In the third week of April. 2013, I spent parts of three days in a row hiking with Driss Lachguer:

1. 3 hours in the hills of the national park near the Kasbah Tamadot
2. With my wife, 3-4 hours hiking up to and back from the higher Berber villages
3. 6 hours climbing the two saddles east of Imli (1100 metres vertical; 17-18 km total distance).

Driss was a very good companion and a terrific guide for all of these excursions, I am an experienced hiker, while my wife is not, and yet Driss was ideal for each of us. With my wife, he was very careful to check and confirm that footing, pace, opportunities for photos and such made it a very satisfying experience (she noted specifically that Driss was far better at knowing just when to offer her a helping had than I am!). When he and I were hiking alone, he paced the hikes nice and briskly but allowed me lots of my own space for contemplation and enjoying the spectacular scenery as we went along.

Driss also offered a very enjoyable introduction to the Berber people and their hospitality. He made it very comfortable for us to enjoy tea and, on the longer hike, even a breakfast at the homes of some of the villagers. He clearly enjoyed the pleasure that we took in getting to know his culture a little better and in adding to our understanding of it.

I hope to spend a week, or more, back in the High Atlas some time in the next couple of years, taking on some of the more serious routes. I can think of no better compliment to Driss than to say that I look forward very much to his guiding me.

DEM

Visited April 2013
London
“Driss - High atlas guide”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

We had a fantastic long weekend in Morroco which included trekking in the beautiful Atlas Mountains. Driss was our excellent guide who was knowledgable, helpful and patient. His English is excellent and he adapted the itinerary to meet our requests. He set a pace appropriate for our group and was always checking to make sure we were OK. The scenery was beautiful, the villages delightful and the food delicious. We only wished we had longer and are all keen to go back and explore further.

Vancouver, Canada
“Driss Lachguer - High Atlas Guide”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

I just finished a seven day trek with Driss. He took me through three different valleys and an ascent of Mount Toubkal. Driss is very knowledgeable about the area and I never had to worry about a thing. Driss handled everything including the food and the accomodations each night. Additionally, Driss was always asking me if I was comfortable with the pace and assured me that I could take as many breaks as I want. I highly recommend Driss as a guide when trekking through the Atlas mountains.

Visited April 2013