I spent about 12 days hiking with Driss Lachguer and Ibrahim Lachguer in the Atlas mountains. Here are my thoughts:
1. Professional outfit - they knew what they were doing and where they were going. They are very attentive to my needs during both the trekking and guesthouse administration aspects of the trip.
2. Flexible - they are able to provide a customized tour itinerary and wisely shifted the toubkal section of the trip to the middle as opposed to the end of the trip to avoid the inevitable rush at the end.
3. Good choice of guesthouses - the guesthouses they chose along the way meet my needs well. They know what Trekkers are looking for in a guesthouse after hiking for the majority of the day.
1. Changed the price - I agreed a price with Driss via email before I flew over and was informed by him that the price has changed once I arrived in Imlil (once I've flown over to marrakesh). He told me that he made an error and had some assumptions in setting the price in the email, which was not made clear in the email sent to me. I don't care what product or service I'm paying for - if a price is agreed and it changes subsequently, it's not good business practice.
2. The speaking language of the guide - before I came into morocco, there was no indication that I will be receiving a French speaking guide (which would have put the decision to choose trekking companies in my hand). When I arrived, I was given Ibrahim, a French speaking guide, for 6 days of the 12 day trek. The English language capacity of the guide is key towards determining the quality of the trek and I believe this was overlooked by the tour company in this case.
If you own or manage High Atlas Mountains, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.