“Nice, but expected a little more” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: French, Belgian, Swiss, Contemporary, Eclectic
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Lausanne
“Nice, but expected a little more”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

We headed to Villarepos on a wintery and snowy night of January to celebrate our marriage anniversary. We decided to take the three-course menu, which is really affordable for a restaurant of that level. The meal started with a fantastic apetizer which we acompanied by the local aperitif, it was a scallop carpaccio topped with a tartar of crab flesh. Just perfect, I could have eaten it as a main dish, so I only did regret the quantity... Then, my wife and I explored the two starters, one was a smoked local lakefish (bondelle), on a bed of red beet with a horseradish topping. It was visually stunning, but did not taste so special in our opinion. The other one was a giant tiger prawn in a red curry soup. That one was delicious, surprisingly spicy for a restaurant of this kind, but did not give the impression that any special technique allowed the chef to prepare it. In other words, I am not sure that it would not be just as good if I cooked it at home.
For the main dish, there was a kind of "boeuf braisé" served in thin slices on a bed of mixed beet purée with a few vegetables. It was certainly not bad, but it looked like a well-dressed cantine dish and indeed tasted like a really well-prepared cantine dish. I wondered a bit why they took the risk to cook such a basic dish, since you have to really find a well out of the ordinary recipe to make it any special. Maybe they want to keep the menu price low and compromise on the main dish costs? Anyway, more satisfying was rather the half-bottle of Château l'Angludet 2009 (Margaux), albeit a little young.
The dessert did disapppoint a little, too. It was sort of flat chocolate cake with a fruit ice-cream and some honey and a "caramel tuile". Quite good, but not really surprising either. We finished by a tea which came accompanied by nice little "mignardises".
All in all, the price-quality ratio of the menu was really good, but the succession of the dishes was a bit anti-climactic. If you are ready to invest a little more, I would suggest to order à la carte, instead.

• Visited January 2013