“Great Cabin on the Lake!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Lake of the Woods Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Pinetop-Lakeside
Lake of the Woods Resort
You added Lake of the Woods Resort to your Saves list
2244 W. White Mountain Blvd, Pinetop-Lakeside, AZ 85929   |
Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in Pinetop-Lakeside
“Great Cabin on the Lake!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

This August we had a family re-union in the White Mountains. My daughter and I searched on the internet to find a large, rustic, cabin to balance our desire to go camping, but have comfort for the wide needs of our families. We stayed at "The Chalet" cabin in the Lake of the Woods resort in Pinetop. This was perfect for us! This large cabin allowed my Mom her comfort and privacy, my daughters family could be grouped together with two nearby rooms, and more rooms for my son, brother, and me. The cabin could use a little updating if modern amenities is what you crave, but then the town has hotels for that. This cabin met our desire for a more comfortable, rustic, cabin adventure with our family. The balcony was great for watching stars at night and sunrise over the lake in the morning. This property is located right in the middle of town, but the lake is lower than the surrounding area and the lake itself "feels isolated".

The lake is small, but beautiful and we had a row boat and dock as well as a large grassy area to fish from. Being a private lake, no fishing licenses was necessary- great since I lived out of state! Just across the street was the much larger Rainbow Lake if you needed a bigger lake- you can easily walk to it. We also brought our bikes, and I made an adventure out of taking my grand daughter on a bike ride to the office area to play in the small park. We went tot he rec room and I taught her how to play ping pong!

We found a local outfitter who delivered kayaks to our cabin with a trailer, this allowed us to go kayaking every day to several of the local lakes- this location is central for many mountain sports, and Pinetop/Lakeside/Show Low allow for anything you might need from a city. All of our family was very happy with this resort and we plan to make a regular thing out of meeting in the mountains at this resort.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Gilbert, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

Being a travel agent, I really look at everything about a resort. I am also understand better what to expect from a place that I stay at because I've researched it thoroughly. That being said, I knew this place was not a luxury type resort. I also knew that the cabins would be pretty basic in function and furnishings. We really enjoyed our stay. The cabin was quite clean, functional, and equipped with just about everything you need. Now I do want to point out a couple things though so you are clear on what to expect. The resort is nicely in the forest with the lake being beautiful, the staff very friendly and the cabins being real log cabins that are cozy and comfortable. There are small boats to reasonably rent, some great fishing and some grassy areas and a playground for small children and dogs. The cabin furnishings do however, need to be updated, as the last update was said to have been in 2000 which is 14yrs ago. That is quite a long time without changing out couches, mattresses, bedspreads, lamp shades and broken floor tiles plus cutting boards, dish racks, and have some sturdier chairs and table on the decks. The cabins would be so much nicer with these relatively inexpensive but much needed updates. With so many people using all these furnishings throughout each year, this is basic stuff that should be changed out at least every 5 yrs and things should be fixed as soon as possible. Quick changes could be just bedspread updating and covering the couches, lamp shades and buying nicer cutting boards that don't trap so much debri and germs plus sturdier deck chairs. Also chose one of the "newer" cabins in the middle and back areas as they are much brighter inside and a little nicer plus not as close to the road where the traffic noise can be very loud in the front cabins which are also a bit darker inside, and more rustic.
However, there is an advantage to the front cabins, as they are very affordable and around the large grassy area, playground, small pool table room, and the office where they sell ice cream bars and are also a bit further from the water if you are a family with small children. The middle area cabins are great for fishing and nearest the boat dock and lake. My favorite are the 3 back cabins, as they are the furthest from the traffic noise and the other cabins, plus have great views of the lake and can be a bit quieter if you want to just relax. Other than those these things, if you expect basic furnishings, functionality and a little traffic noise (for the back cabins.....but much more for the front cabins) and look at their map and photos when choosing a cabin; you will have a great time in this cute little Lake in the Woods resort!

Room Tip: Make sure to look at the cabin placement on the lake, the cabin photos and chose one of the "ne...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

Stayed here recently and was quite disappointed. We've been coming here since the 90's when our kids were in their teens and now they are working adults. Unfortunately, the property have aged faster than they did. This is so sad because we have lots of wonderful memories from our visits in the past. However, we can't help but notice that the cabins have been allowed to deteriorate through the years with very little effort made to update or even upkeep the interiors. The furniture looks like they are discards; stovetop don't work; windows do not lock (a major security concern); window screens doesn't do what they supposed to do that is keep out bugs in the summer; sofas and chairs are badly stained; internet connection was extremely poor. For these reasons alone, I think they are over-priced. The fishing was miserable but for that I'll just blame myself for being a lousy fisherman.
Positives are very friendly staff, great location.
Overall, it was a disappointing visit. We always came back hoping to recapture some of those sweet memories we've had of the place. Maybe it's finally time to move on......

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

What a great place to visit! The cabin was very clean and had everything we needed! The fishing was great! So nice to have the lake there to fish anytime. And was awesome that we could bring our dogs too!! They had a blast!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Tucson, Arizona, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

We just got back from three nights in Cabin #8, which slept 8 but there were only 2 of us.(It was the only one available) It was comfortable, very friendly and we really enjoyed the cool summer weather. It would be ideal for a family get together, with hoseshoes, shuffleboard, free fishing on the private lake, boats available for only $4 per hour and plenty of green, cool grass and tall pine trees: just what hot Arizonans seek in summer.

Room Tip: pay a little more to stay right on the lake, for a very relaxing view.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

My family and I have been staying here since 1994. If you want to escape the heat, you'll love this place too. It has something for every member of the family. Plus I love that all that I have to bring is food. The cabins are clean, and I have a fully funtional kitchen and bath. I highly recommend everyone to stay here when you can. The owners and employees have always been pleasant, and wonderful throughout our entire stay. Can't wait for our next vacation.

• Stayed June 2014
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014 via mobile

Our first time here and we will be back often. It's a wonderful place to relax, fish, bbq, play games, and bring your pets! After reading some reviews....this is not the Ritz, they are cabins and older but extremely clean and provide everything one would need. Fishing, awesome! We caught over 20 fish each, in only a couple of hours! Used worms and bread. Staff were super friendly and accommodating! We can't wait to go back.

• Stayed July 2014

Been to Lake of the Woods Resort? Share your experiences!