“Totally not worth the price.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Lake of the Woods Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Pinetop-Lakeside
Lake of the Woods Resort
You added Lake of the Woods Resort to your Saves list
2244 W. White Mountain Blvd, Pinetop-Lakeside, AZ 85929   |
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Pinetop-Lakeside
Surprise, Arizona
“Totally not worth the price.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

My family and I rented a large cabin for a weekend vacation. When talking to the service desk over the phone and while planning and looking at the pictures of the cabin online, we expected a bit of a different site when we got there. We where not told that the cabin was connected to many others and that it was directly off of the highway. The lady told us it was rated top resort for the last 13 years so we expected that for a 1000.00 dollars it would be a very nice place. Unfortunately, it was filthy. The toilet didn't work properly. One even leans to one side. The place was falling apart. The beds were not comfortable at all. Most where sunk in. The kitchen was disgusting. The dishes and pots and pans were not cleaned properly. The floor was a wreck. The furniture was very old and dusty. Bugs were all over the window sills. The vacuum we were given was broken and when we asked for another one she gave us another broken one. I called down to complain and she did attempt to be accommodating. But after going over my complaint to her she told me I was "lucky" she accommodated at all and that no other resort would have. I explained that I was let down by how the cabin was not in the condition she painted the picture of and she said because of the economy they have not been able to keep it up but that they have never had a complaint and that we were lucky to have been accommodated. I thought that was totally out of line and very rude. The property close to the office was beautiful though and had we stayed there it might have been better. My advice, only rent the cabins close to the office. The others are run down and not worth the price. Over all the kids had fun and fished a lot and enjoyed the time we had there. But if I had to do it again I would find a better location. Good Luck.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Chandler
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

Stayed 4 nights at #22 recently with our 2 kids (along with 2 other families) and had really nice time. These are CABINS, not hotels, so we had our expectations set accordingly and enjoyed every minute of our stay.

The kids (7-10) all fished and everyone one of them caught at least 1 fish and my daughter hooked a nice 20" rainbow that was a real beauty. Lots and lots of fish, right from the dock, so even the kids didn't get bored.

This place is near 260, so some of the cabins will get road noise, but ours was dead quiet at night. During the week, there wasn't even much traffic on 260 at night, so it was really peaceful.

The cabins are small, but we didn't need giant bedrooms, and the living room / kitchen was big enough for all three families to hang out and have fun.

After reading the reviews I was expecting gruff sevice, but the lady at the front desk was super nice and helpful.

All in all, a nice place to stay if you have kids.

Room Tip: Get a place away from the highway and close to the water.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012

We shared the Aspens cabin with one other family. Total people in the Aspens cabin was 4 adults and 3 kids (all kids under 7). We were joined by two families whio stayed next door in the Oaks cabin (4 adults and 4 kids - all kids under 5). The small lake is beautiful. The dock and boats were good and the lake offered easy fishing. We caught several small catfish that we relased. We cooked meals out on the deck and in the kitchen then scattered about the two cabins to eat. Very social and very fun.

The personnel running the resort were all very nice and helpful.

On the downside:
The cabin itself is showing some wear. The deck and the dock both are in need of treatment as the wood is splintered badly and some boards were weak or broken. The decor is also a bit thin. The cabin is located right on Highway 260 so road noise is always prevalent. The policies for cleaning (all dishes cleaned and put away before departure) and for trash bag availability (we were only issued two at a time) were a bit frustrating.

On the upside:
Lake is very pretty. Summer weather was a very nice break from the Phoenix heat. We enjoyed watching the birds and even saw a predatory bird (maybe a hawk) snag a few fish....awesome sight The fishing was easy. The common area is nice with a good playground, horseshoe pit, and shuffleboard area.

Overall, we had plenty of room for our two families in the Aspens cabin. It was a good value, fun, weekend break from the heat. The view out the back window and off the deck were straight out of a Bob Ross painting.

Room Tip: Call the resort before you book and explain your situation. We found they were very helpful in pick...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Gilbert, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

My family and I stayed here October of 2011. We loved this place. I wanted a trip that we could enjoy some great trout fishing and relaxation. This place gave us both. The cabins are nice. They provide you will all the amenities that you would need: fireplace, kitchenette, nice bathrooms, comfy beds. The resort is in a good central spot. You can get to many close by stores, but still feel like you are staying out in the woods. Some things could be updated such as the televisions and rec room. We didn't go there necessarily for those things but rain can change your plans. We highly enjoyed our trip and will be back in the future.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Chandler, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

Stop looking and stay here... There is not a better, friendlier spot in all of pine top / lakeside or dare i say Arizona. I have stayed at 5 star hotels, from casinos in vegas to four seasons in new york and this was more a vacation than any of those. Now our Ideas of vacations might be different so let me explain.
I had booked a totally different hotel on hotels.com and when I saw the woodland inn and suites quickly decided to change my mind. I wanted a rustic country cabin to make the ski trip a little more authentic. Lake of the woods was on the main street and looked like cabins I wanted... so we went to the office to see what they had.
I walked in and was greeted by the nicest lady. She told me about the prices and that they have cabins from studios to 5 bedrooms. I picked a 1 bedroom so my daughter and I could have our own bed.
We then went to our cabin....OMG sooooo cute!!!!! A full kitchen, a fire place, a deck and 3 queen beds. Now this is a rustic cabin... and if you want to lose the chaos of your day to day life this is where you go. The fire place heated the whole cabin but there were heaters in the bathroom and bedroom as well, The kitchen is fully stocked and I even cooked two dinners and breakfasts there. The cabins are right next to the lake and you can fish and even boat.
It is about the same time to get to sunrise ski resort than any other hotel nearby.
This will be now a family trip for every year and I will never stay anywhere else. OH ... they have a sauna, hot tubs, laundry, rec room with ping pong, pool, games. This is my only home away from home. Stay here you will not be disapointed.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Mesa, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

my husband and I took or boys for an overnight trip to lakeside- we had planned to stay at another set of cabins but after them lying to us and trying to charge double we went by lake of the woods- they were friendly super fast and the cabins were great! we will definitely be back.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Tucson
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

For the last 4 years my family and extended family have stayed here several times in a season, but no more! We are skilled at fishing in the white mountains. The rule here is 5 fish per angler per day. On our last trip, we had five anglers fishing, we kept 19 fish the first day. They owner meet us coming up the hill as we quit for the day in his little golf cart, hummmm, perfect timing I thought. How many fish do you have there? "19" And how many anglers? "5". "Well that's a hell of a lot of fish, our fish prices went up this year, do you know the rules fishing here?" "Yes, I think I understand them pretty well." He got back into his golf cart and drove off in a trail of dust. As we were cleaning them at the cleaning station, here came the office woman, standing there smoking and counting fish. I realized then, his timing was so perfect because he sits up there in his cabin at the end of the lake and watches you with binoculars. The next day we caught 25 trout, returned them all to the lake. The third day we caught 15, returned them all to the lake. So you don't want to stay here if you know what your doing as an angler, and you may not want to stay here anyway, if you don't like being spyed on.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family

Been to Lake of the Woods Resort? Share your experiences!