“Family Fun in the Mountains” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Lake of the Woods Resort

and 1 more site!
You added Lake of the Woods Resort to your Saves list
Lake of the Woods Resort
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2244 W. White Mountain Blvd, Pinetop-Lakeside, AZ 85929   |
Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Pinetop-Lakeside
Phoenix, Arizona
“Family Fun in the Mountains”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012

We shared the Aspens cabin with one other family. Total people in the Aspens cabin was 4 adults and 3 kids (all kids under 7). We were joined by two families whio stayed next door in the Oaks cabin (4 adults and 4 kids - all kids under 5). The small lake is beautiful. The dock and boats were good and the lake offered easy fishing. We caught several small catfish that we relased. We cooked meals out on the deck and in the kitchen then scattered about the two cabins to eat. Very social and very fun.

The personnel running the resort were all very nice and helpful.

On the downside:
The cabin itself is showing some wear. The deck and the dock both are in need of treatment as the wood is splintered badly and some boards were weak or broken. The decor is also a bit thin. The cabin is located right on Highway 260 so road noise is always prevalent. The policies for cleaning (all dishes cleaned and put away before departure) and for trash bag availability (we were only issued two at a time) were a bit frustrating.

On the upside:
Lake is very pretty. Summer weather was a very nice break from the Phoenix heat. We enjoyed watching the birds and even saw a predatory bird (maybe a hawk) snag a few fish....awesome sight The fishing was easy. The common area is nice with a good playground, horseshoe pit, and shuffleboard area.

Overall, we had plenty of room for our two families in the Aspens cabin. It was a good value, fun, weekend break from the heat. The view out the back window and off the deck were straight out of a Bob Ross painting.

Room Tip: Call the resort before you book and explain your situation. We found they were very helpful in pick...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank catherineandjohn134

Gilbert, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

My family and I stayed here October of 2011. We loved this place. I wanted a trip that we could enjoy some great trout fishing and relaxation. This place gave us both. The cabins are nice. They provide you will all the amenities that you would need: fireplace, kitchenette, nice bathrooms, comfy beds. The resort is in a good central spot. You can get to many close by stores, but still feel like you are staying out in the woods. Some things could be updated such as the televisions and rec room. We didn't go there necessarily for those things but rain can change your plans. We highly enjoyed our trip and will be back in the future.

7 Thank Jason C
Chandler, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

Stop looking and stay here... There is not a better, friendlier spot in all of pine top / lakeside or dare i say Arizona. I have stayed at 5 star hotels, from casinos in vegas to four seasons in new york and this was more a vacation than any of those. Now our Ideas of vacations might be different so let me explain.
I had booked a totally different hotel on hotels.com and when I saw the woodland inn and suites quickly decided to change my mind. I wanted a rustic country cabin to make the ski trip a little more authentic. Lake of the woods was on the main street and looked like cabins I wanted... so we went to the office to see what they had.
I walked in and was greeted by the nicest lady. She told me about the prices and that they have cabins from studios to 5 bedrooms. I picked a 1 bedroom so my daughter and I could have our own bed.
We then went to our cabin....OMG sooooo cute!!!!! A full kitchen, a fire place, a deck and 3 queen beds. Now this is a rustic cabin... and if you want to lose the chaos of your day to day life this is where you go. The fire place heated the whole cabin but there were heaters in the bathroom and bedroom as well, The kitchen is fully stocked and I even cooked two dinners and breakfasts there. The cabins are right next to the lake and you can fish and even boat.
It is about the same time to get to sunrise ski resort than any other hotel nearby.
This will be now a family trip for every year and I will never stay anywhere else. OH ... they have a sauna, hot tubs, laundry, rec room with ping pong, pool, games. This is my only home away from home. Stay here you will not be disapointed.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank Christinetwo
Mesa, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

my husband and I took or boys for an overnight trip to lakeside- we had planned to stay at another set of cabins but after them lying to us and trying to charge double we went by lake of the woods- they were friendly super fast and the cabins were great! we will definitely be back.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank shelly r
Tucson
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

For the last 4 years my family and extended family have stayed here several times in a season, but no more! We are skilled at fishing in the white mountains. The rule here is 5 fish per angler per day. On our last trip, we had five anglers fishing, we kept 19 fish the first day. They owner meet us coming up the hill as we quit for the day in his little golf cart, hummmm, perfect timing I thought. How many fish do you have there? "19" And how many anglers? "5". "Well that's a hell of a lot of fish, our fish prices went up this year, do you know the rules fishing here?" "Yes, I think I understand them pretty well." He got back into his golf cart and drove off in a trail of dust. As we were cleaning them at the cleaning station, here came the office woman, standing there smoking and counting fish. I realized then, his timing was so perfect because he sits up there in his cabin at the end of the lake and watches you with binoculars. The next day we caught 25 trout, returned them all to the lake. The third day we caught 15, returned them all to the lake. So you don't want to stay here if you know what your doing as an angler, and you may not want to stay here anyway, if you don't like being spyed on.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
2 Thank Shari W
Mesa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

Most cabins are dated and dingy. We have been going for years to these cabins, but lately its not worth the money. We had fun fishing, but even then At $300.00 +++ a night it doesn't make spending so much money worth it. We found cabins by owner for rent and will not be returning to these.

• 2 of 5 stars
3 Thank HappieBee
Tucson, Arizona, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2011

What a wonderful time! My family couldn't have been happier. The cabin was great. Plenty of room to spread out and just relax. We stayed in #26. My children, ages 14 and 12 had the best time. It was so much fun just reconnecting, playing cards, sitting around the fire place (wood provided) fishing at the private lake,(no licence required) hiking in the woods along the little stream....I really could go on and on. The owners were so helpful and friendly and the staff was amazing as well. I work in the hotel industry and know how challanging it can be. It is a perfect place to decompress. I saw a few of the negative reviews.....and can honestly say. Not with our visit. The cabins are a bit older, but they are CABINS not presidential suites. Very clean, fully functional and charming.

Room Tip: I like the cabins a little farther back from hwy 260 there is a cabin locator map on the web site.
5 Thank Cheryl D
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pinetop-Lakeside
WorldMark Pinetop
PVC at Roundhouse Resort
#3 of 16 in Pinetop-Lakeside
4.5 of 5 stars 45 reviews
Hampton Inn & Suites Show Low-Pinetop

Been to Lake of the Woods Resort? Share your experiences!