“Roundhouse Resort...” 4 of 5 stars

5829 Buck Springs Rd, Pinetop-Lakeside, AZ 85935   |
Phoenix, Arizona
“Roundhouse Resort...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

I didn't know what to expect from their website www.rhresort.com. But it turned out very well. The 1BR unit was a good size (404sf). It had a full kitchen with pots, plates, and utensils. Everything worked. The area has a lot of trails and lakes. It is located in a small town of Pinetop-Lakeside. The people are friendly.

The resort has an exercise room, raquetball court, basketball court, billiard tables, ping pong table, indoor pool, and hot tub. Minature golf course is also available. Kids play area and BBQ area is located throughout the resort. Gas grills, so no need for charcoal.

Staff was very attentive and friendly.

Room Tip: If you are travelling as a family, get the 1BR units. They have a full kitchen with Queen size bed...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
hamilton Ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

I booked this property with trepidation. It stated a 'partial' kitchen and I wasn't sure what to expect. I researched on Trip Advisor, as always, but although there were reviews there were no pictures to guide me. But the price, under $400 for the week booked through EVR, was right so I took a chance. At first I was disappointed. First impression of the unit was one big living room /kitchen with a big open space and no coffee table left me feeling cold, not comfy at all. The lighting was either too bright or too dark (I ended up unscrewing 3 light bulbs in the overhead fan lighting and it was perfect) The partial kitchen meant no oven, although there was a microwave and stove top.The bedroom was small and dated, the bedroom rug stained, the queen bed had a dated bedspread. To get to the bathroom you had to go through the bedroom.

Once I got over my initial disappointment I looked at the unit again. It was clean with new tiled floors (except for the carpet with stains which need replacing) and newly painted. The living area had a newer closet and a chest of drawers, comfy lazyboy type chair, and a pull-out couch (so the unit could sleep 4 ) There was free wifi, and a good TV channel selection. The kitchen well equipped with everything needed for a couple to enjoy dinners 'at home' and save $$. Although there was a small dining table and 4 chairs the unit really could benefit from a coffee table, something other than the one end table to set my drink upon and relax at night.

The bedroom was adequate with no closet but a new freestanding wardrobe. The bathroom was clean and the sink area separate from the toilet/tub room.

We were in the lodge which opened to a large communal space where we played cards at night. They are renovating the rooms on the second floor, and there was noise going on during the day(which they did warn us about) but there was so much to do in the area that we weren't often home to be bothered by the noise.

This resort has a lot to offer.... a pool, a hot tub, basketball and racket ball courts, pool tables and a ping pong table and a well equipped work out room. BBQ's are scattered around the resort. There is bocce ball, horseshoes and miniature golf to enjoy. The laundry is small but I didn't ever have to wait to use it. There is a casino close by, and many many hiking trails. The Petrified Forest and Painted Desert are only and an hour and a half away. There are grocery stores in the area for stocking up.

The staff at the resort were always friendly and helpful. And my initial disappointment gave way to enjoyment of the unit and the area. I really did end up having a wonderful vacation at Roundhouse Resort.

This is not the 2 bedroom cabins at PVC at Roundhouse Resort, this is the older resort set behind PVC, the two do use the same entrance.

I wanted to give a good, fair review, something to help others when they research this resort. I have included pictures.. If I'd known what to expect I don't think I would have been disappointed. My experience with EVR resorts in the past have always included a separate kitchen and living area and this one was different with it's large, bright kitchen/living area.

Room Tip: Lodge rooms have wifi, all others must use the atrium to access free wifi.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Queen Creek, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

We actually stayed in the Lodge which is part of the resort. There's a cute playground by the rec room. The rec room has a pool, spa, pool tables, ping pong table, fitness room, racquetball and basketball courts. Outside in front close to the entrance of the resort is a fantastic 18 hole mini golf course. The front desk guys were very nice and helpful! The inside of the lodge is dated but kept very clean. It was very quiet!!! Reminded me of the Shining! haha! I kept waiting for a creepy little boy to ride down the hall on a tricycle! Overall, it was very relaxing and very comfortable!

Room Tip: The rooms in the lodge have a/c and the 1bedroom rooms have a larger kitchen.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Willcox, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

My husband and I just returned from a week at this resort and it was very nice. The suite was very clean. The only issue we had was that the ice maker in our building went out and we reported it on July 30. I reported it again on July 31 and it was as though no one had ever done a ticket on it for repair. When we checked out August 3, it was still plugged in to power and flooding water out the door.There was STILL no "out of order" sign on it and what a waste on electricity and water!!
We went on our time share points and will hopefully get to go back next summer, however we will ask for a downstairs room.
We enjoyed the pool and the hot tub as well. The living room furniture was very uncomfortable and that is where we had to sit to watch television. If we watched in the bedroom, it was off to the side of the bed. Be mindful that they only furnish bath soap so take your own shampoo etc. Also take your own coffee.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
San Clemente, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

My wife and I have just returned from a week at the Roundhouse and must say I was very pleased with the whole experience. We stayed in #101 just off the office so cannot speak for other units but this one was very comfortable, well supplied and is only a few steps away from the front desk and large open atrium great for reading and relaxing. On the plus side, I was blown away by the great variety of the resort's recreational facilities-- large indoor pool, racquetball, basketball court, upstairs table tennis, pool tables, and workout room. Miniature golf course is nice added touch and fun to play. Of course, the greatest attraction for us was the availability of miles and miles of well-marked walking trails. We visited Pinetop once before and had made numerous side trips to the historic spots and natural wonders, so stayed closer to home this visit. Curtis and front desk were very sociable and provided assistance whenever
needed. Two other comments: tip to Roundhouse--The ring of keys I was handed at check-in (various keys for room, rec. center, etc.) give an impression of an out-of-date facility when one plastic card would have been more convenient. The other tip is for the visitor-- Our a/c unit was
very powerful and efficient. Unfortunately it was also very noisy. As a result, the first night we
were awakened every 45 minutes when it came on for 5 minutes to cool the room down. With
the outside air reasonably cool at night, we turned the a/c off and opened the outside window
and were very comfortable for the rest of the week. Weather was terrific in July.

Room Tip: Be creative with balancing a/c and outside air. Pool area was always quiet during morning hours...n...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

I own a 2 bedroom timeshare at the Roundhouse & have experienced with others pointed out: musty smells, leaks, old furnishings, etc. But things are a changin'. We used some bonus time (an owner perk--discounted rates) to get away from the heat and celebrate our anniversary & were impressed with what's happening here. I asked for a large one bedroom during booking and received unit #141 on the Boardwalk side of the property.

We weren't allowed to check in until 4:00, the actual check in time as staff & crew were finishing up remodeling work. Chuck, the front office manager was very apologetic for the wait and told us he hoped we thought the unit was "worth the wait." Intrigued, hubby and I sat at a picnic table in the BBQ area and watched the progress. There was all sorts of activity not only in our unit but in several units in the Boardwalk area.

We finally checked in & yes, it was worth the wait. No more old carpeting---except for the bedroom which had new carpeting with a contemporary design--the entire unit was newly tiled. Fresh paint, new draperies, new furniture, even a leather couch, new TV in the living room & bedroom, tile in the shower/bath, new appliances, along with that lovely "new" smell throughout. We were thrilled. The kitchen was well stocked with all the pots & pans we needed to cook most of our meals. We appreciated the new coffee maker & dishwasher.

The best amenity at the Roundhouse is the location. Tucked away, surrounded by pines, with a sitting area outside the front door complete with a table & chairs made for a relaxing getaway. All units are non-smoking but smoking is allowed on the porch. Our neighbors were heavy smokers, first cigarettes, then cigars, and it wasn't possible to share our porch when they smoked as I have asthma. We coordinated our porch time with theirs and it worked out. A small children's play area is directly across from our front porch & we enjoyed watching the little ones playing with their parents & grandparents.

There are some minor improvements in the Rec center and I hope the resort allocates more remodeling dollars in that direction. On this visit, we noticed the well worn felt on both pool tables were replaced along with new plastic ping pong paddles. The fitness room carries Nautilus type equipment & could use some freshening up in our opinion. The indoor pool was well used by families & the jacuzzi is always a good place to soothe aching muscles.

At check in, guests receive a pass to play a game of miniature golf at the other resort (PVC I believe it's called) that's on the Roundhouse property. It's a fun activity but you're limited to one game during your stay even though guests who stay at this other resort have unlimited use of the Roundhouse Rec center. It may be a small point but I believe Roundhouse guests should have unlimited access to the miniature golf course.

You won't go wrong with staying at the Roundhouse. The staff is friendly, eager to please, and improvements are continuing. Chuck told us all the units in the Boardwalk section are slated for remodeling. The whispering pines mesmerize. It's an easy drive to Greer and other points of interest. If you want to get away & relax, I recommend trying out the Roundhouse Resort. They're on the right track.

Room Tip: Room 141 is newly remodeled, is on the corner, & was lovely.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Downingtown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

We spent a week at Roundhouse immediately after an excellent week at a very nice resort in Sedona; all in all, we had an even better experience in Pinetop than in Sedona, and are more eager to return to Pinetop. We came to hike on the extensive trail system maintained by a local volunteer group. The weather was perfect, the trails were amazing, and everyone was friendly. Our accommodations were neat, comfortable, and included everything we could need or want. Although we did not use the onsite recreation facilities a whole lot, we saw they were all in good condition. The maintenance staff were friendly and helpful - we had one maintenance issue and it was addressed immediately and perfectly. We received a delightful welcome from front desk person Chuck, and, when we asked him about hiking, he provided a wealth of great information, advice, and enthusiasm. chuck also provided superb service throughout the week, and would go out of his way to help us, as well as others guests.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Roundhouse Resort? Share your experiences!