“A wonderful lodge and THE place to see grizzly bears” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Knight Inlet Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Glendale Cove
Knight Inlet Lodge
You added Knight Inlet Lodge to your Saves list
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   8841 Driftwood Road, Glendale Cove, British Columbia V9J 1A8, Canada   |
Special Offer
2015 BOOKINGS NOW OPEN!!
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Glendale Cove
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Atlanta, GA
“A wonderful lodge and THE place to see grizzly bears”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2010

My mom and I spent 3 nights at Knight Inlet Lodge. Many of the other reviews describe the lodge accomodations below. The rooms are basic but great for a remote lodge. The food was fresh, plentiful and very tasty.

The main reason for visiting the lodge was to see grizzlies, and we were certainly not disappointed! We saw many bears, grizzly and black. Some came right behind the lodge for a closeup view. We also saw otters, orcas, eagles, a very large pod of pacific white-sided dolphins, and many more animals and birds.

The guides and staff are all very friendly, helpful and knowledgable. We had plenty of activities to chose from and they were very accomodating.

Overall, this was a wonderful vacation and I recommend Knight Inlet Lodge highly! It was certainly a trip of a lifetime! I would love to return someday!

• Stayed August 2010

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2010

The 24 hours we spent at the inlet was a real experience. The sea plane trip was amazing and the Lodge was fantastic. The scenery was breathtaking and to see some grizzly bears in, their natural habitat was exciting. The food at the Lodge was of a very high quality, all fresh & the staff were extremely knowledgeable and friendly. The children even got to catch their own prawns to eat!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2010

This place will steal your breath but give you back a fresh soul in return. I had never before, truly, appreciated nature until I came here. I think that I may not have had a human spirit until I came here.

I arrived at Knight Inlet in a nervous sweat following an unenjoyable float-plane ride. I shuddered at the communal dining area with shared tables. I freaked at the sleeping cabins with shared lounge areas and unlocked bedroom doors. I rolled my eyes at the over-zealous, eco-warrior Canadian camp-leaders. I snarled at the lack of internet, phone reception and TV. I couldn't sleep on the first night as I repeatedly cursed the place. I cringe now to think of how I was.

The next day I saw my first grizzly in the wild, I saw Cathedral Spires, I felt the spray of Rainbow Falls and the unrivalled beauty of Knight Inlet, suddenly hit me. The tranquility, the calm, the smells, the sights, the sounds are all beyond words. It was the most magical experience of my life and I would lose my right arm to experience that feeling again.

Stay here if you get the chance. Stay here for as long as you can!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2009

I'm giving this place 5 stars not for the accommodation - more on this - but because of the wonderful location and fantastic activities. You really are off the edge of the map when you come here. We had 5 nights with no TV, radio or telephone. Utter peace and utter bliss.

It isn't cheap but the price is all inclusive. For that you get a wide range of activities including all day whale watching trips on small but very fast boats, bear watching, trips up the estuary, kayaking, walking trips all just excellent. I would encourage anyone to stay for as long as possible in order to appreciate what is on offer. We never got bored over 5 days.

The days start with breakfast from 6.30am and first activity at 7.30am. Depending on your own timetable you finished between 5.30pm and 6.30pm. The bar opens at 6.00pm with appetisers from 6.30 and dinner at 7.00pm. There is a post dinner talk at 8.00pm by one of the guides (different each night and variable in quality!) before collapsing exhausted into bed! Very busy days.

All kit such as waterproofs, life jackets and wellingtons are provided.

There are a lot of European guests with a majority being British.

The food is buffet style and of surprisingly good quality. It isn't fine dining but there is plenty of it and a good range. Decent wine is provided.

The rooms are fairly basic. The beds are queen size and sheets are changed after 3 nights. Housekeeping consists of changing towels only. The furnishings are rustic and fairly basic. The bathroom has a shower with fantastically hot water, a basin and WC. The water is filtered but brownish and isn't recommended for drinking. There are lots of water fountains around to fill jugs with drinking water.

The staff and guides all muck in and were very friendly - it feels like a very happy place. Great dogs and a family of otters on the pontoons too!

If I was basing this review on the rooms alone I would give it 3 stars but you spend so ittle time in them this doesn't matter. We can't wait to go back.

Halifax, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2009

This was always planned to be the highlight of the trip and it certainly didn’t disappoint, living up to or exceeding all our expectations. The accommodation at the Lodge itself was quite basic and this is only to be expected given its unique location, having said that, it was perfectly clean and comfortable. The rooms are very spacious. It didn’t really matter as the programme of activities meant you were only in there to sleep anyway! We also spent most of the time we did have in the room looking out of the window at the fantastic view and the family of sea otters playing on the decks - what more could you want?

The day started with a 06:30 breakfast and you could take part in activities through to 18:00 in the evening just in time for dinner starting at 18:30. The activities were flexible and not necessarily strictly according to the itinerary, i.e. it was possible to chop and change what you wanted to do. The one thing we would definitely recommend to anyone wanting to do this, subject to budget, is to take at least the three night package which gives you one night in Campbell River and two nights at the Lodge. The reason we say this is that after one night there, you just won’t feel like you are ready to leave!

The food at the Lodge was excellent with all dietary requirements catered for and all the staff were incredibly friendly and knowledgeable – we couldn’t praise the place highly enough. The days are well organised but flow in a really relaxed and informal manner. There's all the equipment and clothing you need. We saw grizzly bears, bald eagles, deer, otters, seals and of course, thousands of salmon. Highlights included the inlet cruise with the fantastic Bob Scriba and kayaking up the estuary to see more bears and eagles with Jasmine and again with Dean. It was a joy to be at the Lodge and to spend time with such dedicated and friendly people.

We did unfortunately hear one couple on our float plane complaining that the two night package was sold as a three day trip when in effect there is little to do in Campbell River on the first and third day. We think part of this is perhaps that the planes coming into Campbell River arrive in the morning leaving the rest of that day in the town where some people said that there is apparently not that much to do. Our view on this is that we were fully aware of this when we booked the package and it didn't affect our enjoyment of the trip at all - including Campbell River which was just fine. We felt it was a privilege to be staying somewhere so remote and as such, there have to be some parameters about the travel arrangements. We honestly couldn't recommend this place enough. If you are able to afford it, just go, the memories will stay with you forever.

weston-super-mare england
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2009

float plane to the floating hotel.1st class food.thoroughly organised for tours out to see bears, orcas etc. helpful,professional and fabulous guides. night skies to die for.stars galore.brilliant experience.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Moira, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

This was our 2nd stay , the first was for 1 night 3 years ago, we always knew we would return. This time we were at the lodge for 2 nights and 1 night at Heron's landing as before. Heron's landing was a large suite with full kitchen - more than we needed for 1 night and very comfortable.
Knight's Inlet was superb from the fabulous floatplane flight (one of us had the co-pilot seat) , comfortable but sparse rooms (you don't spend much time in the room due to the pace of the activities), wonderful food by the resident chefs includes all meals and permanently availbale snacks.
The real reason for visiting is the wildlife and scenery, we saw a total of 25 bears both Grizzly and Black. The grizzlies were very animated as they fished for salmon and a mother with cubs fought off another female who got too close. Another huge bear performed the classic back rubbbing behaviour on a scratching tree , you wouldl normally have to watch a David Attenborough documentary to see the bears like this.We also had a single black bear wander along the rocky shoreline next to the lodge.
Other sights were the otters, eagles and walks through the rainforest.
The guides are enthusiastic, Kevin was a great entertainer and we had the privilege of meeting Robert (Bob) Scriber author of 'Season of the Grizzly' whose knowledge of th grizzlies is immense, bizarrely his book was not for sale in the lodge shop (open 30 minues a day) but was available at the floatplane booking office.
On of the best 2 days we have spent in our lives.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Knight Inlet Lodge? Share your experiences!