“Not worth the money” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Evanslea Bed & Breakfast

You added Evanslea Bed & Breakfast to your Saves list
Evanslea Bed & Breakfast
5.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   146 Market St, Mudgee, New South Wales 2850, Australia   |
Ranked #5 of 24 Mudgee B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Sydney
“Not worth the money”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

Evanslea is recommended as one of the best places to stay in Mudgee, however it is still in Mudgee and $375 per night (excluding breakfast) is quite a sum to pay for country NSW. As a result I was expecting near perfection. The property is charming and the gardens are lovely, and we were given a very warm welcome, with the fire going nicely too. Our room, the garden room, was very spacious but oddly appointed with a large spa bath plonked in the middle of it, obviously as an afterthought. We had a small kitchen too which suited our needs, however there was a sign indicating that if we were to leave more than a small amount of washing up we would be charged extra. The first issue was the shower, it was awful, my husband likened it to being sandblasted. The second issue was the lack of servicing of the room. All that was done during our stay was remaking of the bed and removal of the rubbish. No light vacuum, no wipe down of the kitchen area, no cleaning of the bathroom, nor cleaning of the fire area. There was no comfy fire to return to on the second day either and I found that to be quite disappointing for a property as expensive as Evanslea. After we left I realised I had left my jacket behind in the wardrobe. I called Evanslea and discussed the matter, during which conversation I mentioned that I had family in Mudgee who could come and collect it for me, but I was assured that it was no bother for it to be sent to me. I received the delightful c.o.d notice from the postoffice a few days ago, almost $20 as an added pleasure of having stayed at Evanslea. My conclusion: Not worth the money.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

We stayed the June long weekend. Upon arrival our hosts Vicki and Andrew greeted us with open arms, it's as if we were returning long lost friends! We stayed in the main house, upstairs which has 2 very comfortable queens size beds a shared bathroom, lounge area, plus amenities to make coffee and dinkum HOT chocolate! The roaring log fire down stairs ensured that we were kept toastie and warm upstairs. The outlook from our abode was of the beautiful garden all the way down to the river front. Vicki took the time to advise us on places to dine, and which attractions would be worth a visit! All in all a enjoyable stay in Mudgee which has whet the appetite to return and explore more, with a definite stay at Evanslea.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

It is impossible to appreciate the many dimensions of Evanslea from a review. The accommodation is generous in every way...the proportions of the cottage are the equivalent of a Sydney apartment, the furnishings are modern, comfortable and yet glamourous, and there is attention to detail in the amenities, the little extras ( such as hand made lollies and bubbly as a gift in the refrigerator), the quality of the toiletries, and the glorious views of the gardens from every window.Vicky, the owner/hostess is not just accommodating and helpful in relation to requests such as dinner reservations,she is truly insightful about her guests and their tastes. The breakfasts are the equivalent of one's best dining experience in any Australian or overseas five star hotel. My husband and I are veterans of luxury getaways, and we were delighted with Evanslea. I can't wait to return.

Room Tip: they are all lovely
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Terrigal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

I have now stayed at Evanslea twice. Nothing has changed with everything being what you would expect from five star accommodation . The gardens are still as beautiful as I remember.
The cottages on the property take full advantage of this tranquil setting. I will be hoping to return for my 3rd visit in the near future. The location near the town is great and a short drive from the vinyards.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Our weekend at Evanslea Bed and Breakfast couldn't be any better. Everything was just perfect. My husband and I + our twin 12 year old daughters loved the cottage we stayed. All so beautiful, well decorated and extremely clean. The pool area was very relaxing and our family + another three families we travelled with had a great time by the pool. On Saturday night, my daughters stayed at Evanslea with their little friend and a babysitter, while my husband and friends went outs for dinner. Vicky was amazing with the kids entertaining them and caring for them for the entire time we were out. Vicky and Andrew have three beautiful and very friendly dogs. My girls had a great time with them. I really recommend Evanslea B&B to stay as long as you like. I'll definitely stay there again next time I go to Mudgee.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Andrew and Vicki are lovely hosts! We booked all four cottages in a group of friends and we had an amazing, relaxing time. The cottages/rooms are very well appointed and very clean. The gardens are very well maintained, just gorgeous. It was great to have a swimming pool right there for us adults to refresh and for the kids to swim and play. The 20 minute walk to town was a perfect distance too. So close to town but we felt as if we were in the country side:tranqulity. We had breakfast in town on Saturday and breakfast at Evanslea on Sunday morning that Vicki prepared. It was delicious! Vicki was also great with the kids! We went out for dinner on Saturday and left the kids with a nanny and Vicki made sure that they were well locked after. We all had a memorable weekend and we can definitely recommend Evanslea for families or romantic getaway. It's hard to find such a perfect place that catter for both.... We absolutely recommend Evanslea.

Room Tip: Cottages by the river are good for romantic weekend and I think the ones near the pool are better fo...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

We have never stayed at a B&B before and never been to Mudgee either - we were extremely satisfied with both and visited over the Australia Day long weekend. Andrew greeted us on arrival and showed us to our own private cottage - Orchard cottage - opposite a small lake. Let us say, that absolutely nothing was left to chance in our very spacious accommodation. Every minor detail, was taken care of and the grounds are so beautiful and serene, we were instantly relaxed within 5 minutes of arriving. We only had two nights here and as Andrew pointed out, winter is the time to come - spa bath in our cottage, open fire and a plentiful supply of very good (not cheap) red wines.
Would we recommend Evanslea to our friends? Without hesitation. Would we stay again, yes, without hesitation.

Room Tip: Ask if the Orchard Cottage is available
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Evanslea Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!