“Simply the best” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Melbourne
“Simply the best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012 via mobile

Ok let's get the bad news out of the way - this place is not cheap but the food, the ambiance and the total dining experience is second to none - certainly not in Mudgee. In fact this places leaves a lot of Sydney's better restaurants for dead. The food is awesome - not big servings but the intensity of flavors is awesome.
Fine dining with a local county touch.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Sydney, Australia
“Fine dining at its best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012 via mobile

We had an $8 dipping plate and the $58 three course option. Incredibly carefully designed and presented food. The equal of the very best in Sydney. I kid you not. This place could rival Est, don't miss it. I can't understand the the wide spread of reviews. We went on a very quiet Wednesday. Including us there were only 9 covers.

“An unexpected gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

A friend recommended this place, we had nod idea what to expect.

I thought the service was good, the music was really enjoyable and the food was unexpectedly excellent. I had the duck terrine and the beef - both were cooked very well, full of flavour, great textures and really satisfying.

I been living in France for the last few years, and didn't expect to find such an excellent dinner in country Australia - but I did, old school, french and delicious.

Good atmosphere too, I'd highly recommend a visit.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Perfect, once again!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012 via mobile

Went with a group of friends last weekend and we couldn't be happier. I had the ricotta tortellini for entree and it was light and silky- obviously hand made by the chefs. For main I had the Cod. A perfectly balanced dish and the baby herb garnish was a delightful touch. Husband had the eel tartlet for entree and kangaroo for main and loved both. We shared a panacotta for dessert which had white chocolate, raspberry and rose petals which I'm told are from the chefs garden. A perfect end to a fantastic meal! The service was again outstanding. Waitresses were attentive and friendly. A must on everyone's Mudgee list.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Sydney, Australia
“Such a shame :(”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

We had a reservation here for Saturday night and had great expectations as the locations is perfect and the menu sounded great. However - what a disappointing dinner. Thank god we did not order entree! The main that I had - which was a fish of some kind, was so overly salted, that I nearly spat out the first moutful I had. I immediately complained to the waitress and asked to send the dish back to the chef and ask him to taste the dish. Not only was the sauce that I tried extremely salty, but the fish had a crust of rock salt on it - you could actually feel it crunching as you chewed!! She told me at first that the sauce was meant to be like that!!!!!!! but I convinced her to take it back. She returned and told me that the chef will make a new plate for me. This was all happening while my partner had his dish in front of him - a meat dish that was quite tasty. So I told her it will be awkward for him to wait for my new plate to arrive without eating - she just shrugged and never offered to take his plate to the kitchen to even keep warm?!?! When my second plate arrived, I was ravenous! I took another bite and to my horror - the fish was over salted as well. I even had my partner try it and the rock salt was crunchy on it and the sauce still extremely salty. I ended up peeling the skin off the fish and eating a tiny bit of the flesh not encrusted in salt. However I had to leave the remainder of the dish untouched. The cocktails we ordered were also extremely dissapointing - extremely sweet and unpleasant. The only saving grace was that after the horrific second plate we were offered a free dessert. We thought the best would be to go with an affogato - surely you can't screw up cofffee and icecream. It was indeed very tasty. However the night was completely ruined and I left starving and with a pounding headache from a very rowdy hens night that was screaming and yelling at the bar and salt taste in my mouth. The staff were gracious and pleasant however so that's the two star rating - simply for the staff and the restaurant atmosphere - before the hens night.

• Visited November 2012