“Saved from a one star rating by dessert” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
York
“Saved from a one star rating by dessert”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

This looked like a good restaurant, with interesting things on the menu. Unfortunately, the experience did not live up to it. There must be better places to eat in Cuenca, only in late October, they were hard to find or closed. I was a lone diner on this occasion, as I was travelling on business.

My main course of wild boar in a blackberry sauce sounded interesting. Although I would note I only ordered this because my first choice of suckling pig was declared unavailable a few minutes after I ordered it. The boar appeared well cooked - but it was put in front of me 3 minutes after ordering. Really, you could at least try and hide the fact that the food has been flashed through a microwave and give me time to relax a bit with my wine. The blackberry sauce tasted nothing like berries, but worst, the dish was served with three cold smears of different vegetables, like some sort of dirty protest across the plate. One was a red beetroot smear, the other two were undistinguishable by flavour - an orange one and a brown one. The boar was nice, but tempered by the disappointment that it had just been warmed in a microwave.

While I ate, the manager and waitress would pace up and down past my table, checking every 2 minutes to see if my plate was ready to remove. Please do not do this when people are dining alone - it is horrible!

Once again, my first choice of dessert was declared unavailable - with no apology given, so I chose something else. This turned out to be the only saving grace of the meal - 'fried milk' dusted with cinnamon and served with vanilla ice cream. This was delicious, and even the manager was able to smile and relax at this point in proceedings.

I guess this was once a very good restaurant. They have awards on the wall from 1989. However, they need to seriously rethink the ambience, interior design (20 years out of date) and most importantly, stop serving food super-fast out of a microwave. The prices are not cheap for Spain - I think that nowadays people expect some proper cooking when the whole meal costs >40 Euros per head.

• Visited October 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

32% Recommend
Saint-Gelven
“We ate there 4 times”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

This is an excellent restaurant, we ate here 4 times. It has great menu, well priced, and seriously well cooked food.

Visited October 2012
“Surprisingly good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012 via mobile

In Cuenca for the night and decided to go to a restaurant in the old part of the city. Only a couple opened. The menu looked interesting with many gamey things on the meno like pigeon , wild boar, pheasant. My husband had tenderloin of wild boar well cooked medium rare with a delicious sauce of thyme. I had the stuffed pheasant stuffed with cheese in a fig sauce. Both delicious. Mains vary between 14 and 22 euro. Nice desserts too. Take care though as the 10% vat is added to the price. All in all a delicious meal

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Valencia, Spain
“Disappointing and poor value”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

The terrace was very pleasant on an August evening but the rest of the experience was very far from pleasant. The avocado stuffed with prawn and crab was unripe and as hard as a bullet, and swamped in a nameless sauce that made eating it a messy ordeal. The main course - monkfish with clams in a marinera sauce - was so overcooked that the monkfish had gone hard and chewy, and the sauce was a brown mess that I couldn't identify. I was unable to eat more than a third of either course before giving up in disgust. The wine by the glass - a Verdejo - was perfectly acceptable and good value at 3 euros a glass. The meal as a whole - for one person - cost 55 euros without a tip, which I thought exorbitant for such poor cooking. Definitely avoidable.

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Alicante, Spain
“Microwaved”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

We did not have a starter, our main course pheasant, which was put in front of us within 5mins. Covered in a sauce which was so sweet, we did not really know what we were eating. Offered no veg. We did not order a postre. The wine we had was Marquis de Caceras which in most restaurants is about 12 euros, we paid over 19 euros. We were given a roll each, no butter or alioli, these were so hard you could not break them and they were cold. While we were trying to finish our wine they decided they wanted to close so started stacking the tables and chairs around us. We would never eat again in this restaurant and would never recommend it.

Visited June 2012