“2 star htl” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #24 of 49 hotels in El Arenal
london
“2 star htl”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

a 2 star it sure is , ok for couples of all ages but not for families as there is nothing for the kids at all in this hotel to do , it is clean and tidy , MOST of the staff are friendly except for one person , rooms kept clean most days ,towels changed most days , sheets only once a week , hot water is hit and miss ,and food is edible , plenty of it just pretty basic , not a great selection , the hotel can be very noisy at nights as the walls are pretty thin so if you have a snorer next door you will hear quite plainly .Pool is very small and the sun does not get round till very late morning , and only 19 sunbeds for a hotel that holds 190 people . Beach is a fair walk I would say about 15/20 minutes walk and for people with mobility problems it can be quite a steep incline back to the hotel , lovely beach but again nothing to do on the beach except sun bathing no activities at all , plenty of shops and bars and restaurants along the strip, as I call it . If you are all inclusive I reckon you will be disappointed as there is only the tree meals and drinks on offer , no snack bars or ice creams etc etc , and it is certainly not worth the long walk to and from the beach for your all inclusive lunch meal , .If you are not I/c then the drinks in the hotel bar are very very expensive. all in all my wife and I both enjoyed our stay in EL ARENAL , but would not revisit this hotel again

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

251 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Wigan, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

Just arrived back from 2 week stay at Palma Mazas. Stayed at sister hotel Emperador last June so requested Palma Mazas.
Both hotels are a little tired looking,in need of upgrading but they only advertise 2 star and are very reasonably priced for anyone looking for a cheap break in Majorca.
Breakfast,s are continental style, bread- rolls- cold sliced meat- cheese or cereals No bacon eggs sausage etc. My breakfast each day was two pieces of bread with jam but Hey! I survived didn,t fancy cold meat or cereal. Evening meal offered meat chicken and fish, but everything was covered in sauce or gravy, not very appetizing.
Had read reports describing manageress as "Gestapo" and I had my doubts when I reported bathroom floor wet. Her immediate response was "what have YOU done" even though we had only been in the room to unpack. She came up to look and sent maintenance man the morning after.Problem was not resolved and after second attempt to repair he replaced the toilet cistern, Problem solved.
I can only say that the manageress "Isabella" appears to be a rather abrupt, but very efficient person and is probably in the job because of her no nonsense approach ( very necessary with some guests ) For the rest of our stay we were greeted with a warm smile whenever we met Isabella.
The worst part of our stay was when we went into the bar at night for a drink.( we were out all day )There were two groups of Irish people and a large group of Scousers there ,who,-being all inclusive - commenced drinking shorts round the pool at 11 am when the bar opened and carried on all day until 11 pm(and still demanded more ) We even had one man who we were told had drunk two bottles of white wine by one thirty , I don,t think they ever went out of the hotel.
They repeatedly announced in very loud voices littered with expletives " We have had our ------- moneys worth. Not very nice when children are present. Must give top marks to Barmen Eduardo and Joseph ( Pepe ) for putting up with it and remaining calm. Top marks to rest of staff also .
Arenal itself is an eye opener. Lovely beaches,plenty of bars and cafes but all catering for non-Brits Our newspapers at home constantly refer to" British lager louts" Take a look and believe Me there were more German lager louts when we were there. All the bars and cafes have menus in German and all souvenir T-shirts are printed in German.
Enough moaning! ENJOY MAJORCA

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Newtownards, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

It's a 2 star and you get what you pay for. Clean and tidy but it do'es have a few negative points. A small pool that is badly sited for the sun and not a lot of room round it. Even in late April when the hotel was half empty there was not enough room n sunbeds (when the sun did get round to the right position). The food - well we all know what to expect for breakfast in Spain and to be honest there was plenty of choice. From cereals to the normal cold meats n cheese. Unfortunately the evening meals can be a let down. Plenty of choice but far to much oil used in the cooking. (great for the cholesteral). OK there was a few evenings when it was good but generally speaking I would rate it poor and I ain't a fussy eater. One coffee machine in the restaurant so be prepared to queue or come late for breakfast. The staff were all very good and amiable though the bar staff could be a little laid back. The hotel is well enough situated but the "slight incline from the beach" is far from slight so if like myself you have mobility difficulties be prepared or go elsewhere. A little word of warning when coming back late at night - stay of the back streets and the same applies in the town. For those with kids a taxi to aqualand is cheap but its further to walk to the taxi stand that it is to walk there from the hotel. Come out of the hotel and instead of going right go left to the end of the street and turn left (it's a 5 minute walk) But take care as you have to cross a very busy main road. All in all I got no more than I expected and in some areas I was dis-appointed but it's a cheap holiday (£380 for 2 weeks all-inclusive in 2013). Would I go again? Frankly no but that's not entirely the hotel's fault. El Arenal while convenient to Palma isn't the best of resorts. Having had 6 trips to Mallorca over the years this is the only resort I would say that about. Finally if your arriving at a sensible hour don't book a transfer from the Airport - its 20 minutes by local bus and then a cheap taxi if needed to your hotel (regardless of which one your staying at) It took over 2 hours for me to reach Palma Maza when i arrived so I got the local bus on my return much quicker and at my own convenience.

Room Tip: If you want a view of any sort opt for any room that isn't at the back of the hotel. But no matt...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights all inclusive. Unfortunately it rained the whole weekend so I didn't get to test out the pool. The rooms are basic but adequate. The food was rather grim. At one point we weren't sure of what we were eating so we mainly ate salad as we thought this was safer! One thing that would have helped the food would be for the hotel to have labelled the food. We survived for 3 nights on the food but I couldn't have stayed for a whole week with the lack of variety. The hotel is around 10 minutes walk to the main shops and beach. Overall the hotel was fine but the food cold be vastly improved. Would recommend more on a self catering basis so you could go out for meals.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Tyneside
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

we returned from this hotel on the 2/5/13, after a 10 night stay, half board. I agree for the money this is a reasonable hotel re food + general quality of the hotel and the staff are friendly. We also booked into the emperador hotel and did not know we would be staying at the Mazas until after we got of the transfer bus and started looking for the emperador. My wife and I like a drink but are not regular heavy drinkers, which may be a problem for anyone staying at this hotel. From about noon onwards there is significant noise from those intent on getting their value from being all inclusive. The walls are also very thin. There was no attempt by staff to limit the noise from the drinkers - day or night. Those guests who brought their dogs to the hotel were prone to leave them in their room whilst they went out eating etc. The dogs, when locked in the room tended to howl scratch etc. The rooms have thin walls etc through which the noise of the hotel has no difficult penetrating. (I'am pleased the dogs weren't all inclusive). During the last two days of our holiday the bad language from the drinkers was terrible. There is also a 'colony' of cats living near the hotel and, depending on weather conditions etc, there are times you can smell them long before you see or hear them. I raised my issues with the hotel staff + had words with one guest at 2:00am - but nothing changed.

If your looking for a cheap heavy drinking holiday in the sun with passable food this may well be the holiday for you. If you do not want to be disturbed by noises from other guests until the early hours of the morning, with no attempt by hotel staff to limit that noise this is unlikely to be the hotel for you. I certainly would not take children.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
merseyside
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

do not beleive reveiws we read them but went with an open mind food was good hotel very good staff very good we ate and drank as much as we wanted good choice what do people exspect we ate drank all day for the price off a round drinks on plane comeing over i have stayed at a lot off hotels and this one does not deserve the reveiws it gets for what we paid 10 out off 10

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Wakefield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I feel like I have to defend this hotel. A lot of these reports are totally unjustified!! We were also booked to stay at the sister hotel - Emperador. After reading the sign on the door we made the 2 minute walk to the Hotel Palma Mazas. From the moment we arrived we were greeted by friendly helpful staff. Evelyn on reception is an absolute gem, and speaks very good english. She helped us with everything we asked. We were in a quad room and found it clean and spacious with no bad smells. The bathroom was also very clean and was stocked with 4 clean hand towels and 4 clean bath towels each day. The maid (magic fairy) came every day and made the beds and changed the towels, and the bedsheets were changed every other day. We found the food more than acceptable - which was always fresh with a good selection. Breakfast wasn't to everyones taste and was usually cereal, bread rolls, salami, cold sliced meat, cheese, yogurt, or toast. Lunch and dinner were always similar - always fresh salad, soup, bread rolls, rice dishes, pasta dishes, fish, a different meat selection each day (pork, turkey, chicken etc) potatoes, fruit, jelly, angel delight and flavoured creams. All in all enough variety for the pickiest of eaters. We were all inclusive and were never stopped from re-filling our plates. Eduardo the barman was a star and obviously likes to practice his english. He definately didn't think we were using our all inclusive enough. Everytime our drinks were empty a refill would magically appear. He even kept making cocktails for us to try in between. The beach is a steady 10-15 minute walk, but very pleasant. There is also a football pitch around the corner from the SPAR. It is true that there is no evening entertainment, but quite frankly people should meet and chat with people more. We met a fantastic family whilst there and are still in touch now we are home. On the subject of cats - there are quite a few stray cats on the street that had a quick 30 second spat each night, but to be honest I forgot all about them till reading these reviews. All in all we had a terrific experience and would not hesitate to rebook the same hotel. Big thumbs up from us guys :-)

Room Tip: We were in room 506 facing the street and could see the sea. Was nice watching the cruise ships arri...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Palma Mazas? Share your experiences!