“Value for money, but” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #24 of 49 Hotels in El Arenal
Kiev, Ukraine
“Value for money, but”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

Rather clean, but too crowded and too many drunk Russians. In general, Arenal is not the best place at Mallorca, especially in a "hot season". Better to choose hotel in other place than Arenal for better value of money and with better conditions at the East side of the island

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
4409, Public Relations Manager at Hotel HSM Reina Isabel, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Dear Guests,

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Polish first
Mauchline, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

Just returned from a 1 week break to this hotel, and for the money paid, it was OK. Just!
On arrival, I found a dirty towel on the bathroom floor and a used shampoo sachet in the sink. The balcony looked onto the back of the hotel (bins, staff entrance, rubbish strewn all over the ground, etc) and I asked if it was possible to have another room. Ask in the morning I was told. On returning to my room later that evening, I found a very welcome breeze blowing across my balcony, and on enquiring with the guest on the next balcony, was told it's always like this. I decided since I would be spending minimal time in my room, the breeze would be a welcome addition when the heat reached it's height late afternoon. I'm so glad I took this decision after spending most afternoons cooling off on the balcony!
The room itself was nothing special but kept spotlessly clean for the whole week, and provided a welcome sleep each night, with a good shower and piping hot water at all times. Good enough for the price paid.
Only used the dining room for breakfast and 1 dinner and found breakfast to be pretty good, with plenty of choices. Dinner was the usual buffet food, and not very hot, but again, OK for a 2 star hotel. I like to eat out in good restaurants when on holiday, and this one was no different, but if I had to use the restaurant in the hotel for dinner, then I'm sure I would have been happy enough to do so.
All the staff were very friendly and helpful, except 1 small guy in reception. No matter what you asked him, or at what time you asked, his reply was always the same. "You have to come here and ask in the morning"! And this was his reply for EVERY question!
Swimming pool was never busy and I always found a chair or a sun lounger at all times.
Good Points.......location (very close to the beaches and numerous bars and restaurants) bus stop outside hotel for Palma. Good sunbathing area by pool with sun the whole day, plenty seating in public areas, clean, cheap.
Poor points.........drinks quality poor for prices paid, sometimes nobody in bar and wait for up to 15 minutes for service, some noise late at night/early in morning from party goers.
Would I use this hotel again? Yes. It's a good, cheap and cheerful base for exploring the island, and using the beaches and numerous bars and restaurants in the vicinity of the hotel.
One tip - if you head to the port and go left instead of right, you'll find a small uncrowded beach and further along some rocks for sunbathing and jumping right into the sea!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
4409, Customer Service at Hotel HSM Reina Isabel, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your nice comments. We are glad to know that you have spent a nice time in our hotel and that you liked our good location. See you next time in Hoteles Saint Michel!

Your
HSM Customer Service
Castlederg
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

I have been lucky enough to travel lots and for last minute deal out of UK at 650 pounds was expecting if not the advertised 4 star at least a livable 3 star. Travelled alone for this trip and as such got treated like I had leprosy, the 'room ' seriously must have just given the brooms a vacation because even the cleaners looked alarmed when there was a. Human. Boxed in there combined with a suitcase- there was room for neither! And no air con but you do get the privilege to rent a fan for 20 euro which merely serves the function of a convection oven and. I thus felt like a cooked sausage roll! When I complained about the room the guy said but you are in SINGLE room! I could give this hovel not hotel yet more money to get treated humanely! The food was inedible! One night was enough and I abandoned my precious spending money to move across the road to the beautiful four Star mediteranean bay hotel for 70 euro a nigh-blissful!

Room Tip: Don't go
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
4409, Customer Service at Hotel HSM Reina Isabel, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
Dear Guest,

We regret your dissatisfaction but the hotel has 2 stars instead of four as you thought.

scotland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

I travelled to Majorca alone and usually stay on the east coast, but due to the late booking and time of year I found the Reina available. A short 4 night stay. The hotel caters for school groups. I had a basic single room on the top floor, surrounded by rooms full of said school children, ages 12-18? Late night hammering on doors and giggling tipsy youngsters meant little sleep for me.
The room was very basic and smelt of sewage. The tv did not work. Shower head was useless, but plenty of hot water.
The hotel is up a hill and on a hot day it's quite a trek. There is no free wifi, but there is a pc for use 2 euros for 20 minutes. The lifts are something else.
The restaurant is downstairs. The food was excellent (half board). Plenty of choices and hot.
Did not use the pool, too many school children. I used the beach to the left of the marina, small and uncrowded. The resort is not too clean and is geared towards the German tourists. Nightclubs, bars and noisy youngsters at 5am. Will stick to the east coast in future, despite the hour transfer time. Some sites show the hotel looking as if its beach front...it is not.

Room Tip: I suspect the rooms at the back of the hotel are quieter, the front of the hotel looks over a main r...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
4409, Customer Service at Hotel HSM Reina Isabel, responded to this review, July 20, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for you comments. We are really sorry that our hotel was not liked you have expected. We will inform our quality department about all your suggestions.

St. Petersburg, Russia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2011

We stayed at this hotel with my mother in August 2011. The hotel itself is actually very decent. Good value for money. But the manager at the reseption is not nice. Don't even lose your time to negotiate smth with her - you will only waist your energy.

Reception assistants and the staff at the restaurant are very helpful

Food is decent

Very loud at night

Close to the beach - 7 min

The beach is amazing!

The rooms differ - at the lower floors the rooms are not very nice – no chairs, lamps, no view. They are usualy given to Russians (like myself:))) . At the higher floors the rooms are much better, with the sea view

I must say that I don't care to much about the hotel. For me it's really important the following things - absence of insects in the room and basic cleanness

This hotel is for unpretentious travellers

Room Tip: he rooms differ - at the lower floors the rooms are not very nice – no chairs, lamps, no view. They...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Almería, Andalucia, Spain
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2011

I will give a true and accurate account of our short 4 day break. I read many reviews before I booked this hotel. From one persons review we knew that there was a bus from the airport every 30 mins to Playa de Arenal at a cost of 2 euros each, brill, and was so easy, as you come out of arrivals, cross to the taxis area and wait on a number 21 bus to Aranal, (its the last stop) by the tobacconist to get off, easy.
This hotel took us 9 minutes to walk with hand luggage to the hotel, up a bit of a steep hill, nothing un-manageable and quite pleasant. arriving at hotel (daytime) was told by a very nice chap that they was vacating the hotel due to a pipe leak, a taxi arrived with in 5 minutes to take us to an upgraded hotel further down the hill, infact closer to the beach, brill! A nice hotel, The Reina DelMar couldn’t be happier, food adequate, not luxurious, but adequate, salads were wonderful. They ran out of nothing, so no racing to jump queues (as some do).

Nothing more about hotel as it wasn’t the Hotel Reina Isabel. But we would go there again.

Busses on the sea front run every 10 mins or so and very cheap, dont need to take taxis. We went to Palma on the number 15, 1.25 euro each, one way about 20 mins on the bus, if going in the day for the shops, get off at Plaza de espanya, there is a shopping Mall called Calla Mejor there (good if its raining) if you go in the evening for the night life, get off at the next stop, The Cathedral , here there is a very lively area full of bars in little narrow streets, excellent food choices.
You can catch a number 15 to Palma, get off in the Plaze de Espanya, then catch a number 3 bus to Potopi, there is a wonderful marina there and a huge shopping centre, as you get off the bus, 2 mins walk, follow signs for carafor, hey presto a three fllor shopping centre, good on a rainy or cold day and so easy to travel, buses every 20 mins back to Palma.

A really good night out, catch a number 15 bus 1.25 euro each way, get off at Hotel Playa Golf hotel and you are in the German quarter...and boy can they party!!! its a sight to behold...enjoy!

Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2011

We nearly changed our booking after reading some of the reviews,this is an honest review.When we got the taxi from the airport 20euro, you can get a bus 2euro from the airport,the bus stop is not far from the marina then its a 10 min max walk up a hill to the hotel.We used the bus back to the airport.The bus stop we used was opposite the TABACOS shop on the front. We had a meal in the CHINO SHANGHAI RESTAURANTE very good,ask for the set menu,this is also opposite the bus stop. We then caught the bus which runs every 30 min, 20past and 10 to the hour.Only takes 20 minutes drops you at the terminal.Back to the hotel, when we arrived DAVID was at reception very helpful,after reading reviews I asked for quiet room.He put us on the 9th floor sea view,the room was very clean bed sheets crisp and white.During our 6 night stay our room cleaner kept our room very clean.Although it was hot no air con, we knew this before we booked, we hired a fan from reception 10euro per week good value.When we got back to the room after a day on the beach we would open balcony door and room door the draft soon cooled room.We had no problem sleeping.We took ear plugs after reading some of the reviews we never used them.I am not sure if the hotel have policy of couples and familes in higher floors,on our floor it was all familes and older couples no problems what so ever with noise.The food was also of good standard.The breakfast had cereal, toast ,cheese,meats.eggs etc plenty of choice.and Coffee and fruit juice.Dinner was also good, a seletion of hot and cold.The staff would replace empty dishes straight away.For a 2 star it was very good, the staff were friendly and helpful.The hotel did have young people they were No problem what so ever, we enjoyed our stay.I think you have to remember this is a 2 star hotel not 4 star.We hired a bike from the front, a flat safe cycle path to Palma there is a bike park near Cathedral.You can stop on the way( it takes about 1 hour to get to Palma) there are some lovely bars and coves on the way..A nice evening is catching the beach train from Arenal to Can Pastell (cost 4 euro return) have a drink at Can Pastell then get off the train half way back and take a stroll back and enjoy the street acts.If you want a nice cup of tea the Encant Hotel which is on the front is what you need.The beach in Arenal is fantastic you can swim along the bay and its safe for children.Lots happening all the time I have no problem that the resort is mostly German and Spainish..

Room Tip: If you ask for a room on 9th or 10th floor with sea view
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
4409, HSM CUSTOMER SERVICE at Hotel HSM Reina Isabel, responded to this review, September 13, 2011
Good afternoon,

Thank you for your nice comments. We are glad yo know that our Staff has treat you so well and that you liked our good location.

See you next time in Hoteles Saint Michel!

Your
HSM Customer Service

Been to Hotel HSM Reina Isabel? Share your experiences!