“Not excellent, but to do for a normal price” 3 of 5 stars

Univers Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Carrer Josep Pla 1, 17480 Roses, Spain   |
Ranked #23 of 36 Hotels in Roses
The Netherlands
“Not excellent, but to do for a normal price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

To start positive: the bed was good. Also a good bathroom, although they could place the toilet in a better place, than exactly behind the door.
It's an old hotel. One lift only goes down when there are enough people inside (very strange?).
Cleanliness: you can find everywhere you look hair of people on the ground (and also of dogs, because that is a very normal thing, to take your dog with you in the room, not my thing...). So wear something on your feet.
Another positive point: Close to the little centre of the village and the beach.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Witney, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

Booked this hotel for a night in Spain while on holiday with family in France.
booked it on bookings.com after reading some of the reviews on here thought we had made a big mistake.
I dont undestand what some of the reviewers are expecting from Spanish Hotels the hotel was clean the staff friendly and helpful we booked half board the evening buffet was good with something for everyone and the breakfast was superb with every option you could imagine and some you cant .

The enertainment aroud the bar although not our style(Spanish line dancing) was fun.

Well done Univers good value for money

Dave and Linda King

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Antwerp, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

We arrived here at 11:45pm and we were lucky to have rooms! The rooms were very clean.
After sleeping in a tent or at a hostal for the past 8 night, I enjoyed this hotel room a lot: comfy bed, great shower, and wonderful breakfast buffet with fresh fruit,, bacon, egg, fresh bread,...
We left to early to enjoy the pool, but it looked nice (not very big).
I think it was a good value: €52 per person.
(or maybe we didn't had very high standards after sleeping in a tent)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Calgary, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

We didn't prebook a hotel and arrived in Roses around 5 pm on a long weekend (no one told us about this Catalan holiday) and so we ran out of options. Yes, they had some rooms left. From the road, it didn't look too bad but inside was another story. Dated is one word to describe it. Even the lobby felt like we were in some sort of time warp but the rotary phone in our room nailed it. Yes, we were in the 1970's. The beds were probably the originals as well, judging by their inwards curves. We upgraded to a Room with an Ocean View on the 2nd floor since the only other room was a dark broom closet over the parking lot.

Breakfast was included and for an extra 8 Euros each we could have a dinner buffet. We were tired so we opted for the buffet. OMG that was the worst food we have ever eaten. Even the house wine hit the bottom of the barrel. Most of the food was unrecognizable and what seemed obvious was bland. This worried us as we had breakfast included and yes it lived up to the level of dinner buffet - awful!!!

The floors are dirty in the room. The bathroom, although it was clean, was slippery and the safe was a key type....hmmm, haven't seen that in awhile either. We ran out of toilet paper so I decided to snag some from the lobby (didn't think a call to reception would help). All the hallway lights were on a sensor and there was this weird feeling walking along the pitch-dark corridor as each flourescent light would come on as I passed by as if I was in a sci-fi flick. I can't say I felt safe in the hallways and this hotel is a maze.

They do have a nice pool and we enjoyed dancing in the bar (which was near our balcony and we couldn't go to bed until the bar shut down around 1 pm. The hotel did have parking in an empty lot in the back although getting there was rather bizarre (hey it was free).

Looking for a room in Roses? Look for something else and prebook or else you will meet our same fate.

Room Tip: Try another hotel.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2011

Just returned from the hotel. Yes! the location is lovely and the overall price of the hotel reasonable. However, in all the hotels i have ever stayed in i have never been so sick of the food. It was more or less the same food every night, perhaps alternating the meat dishes. No imagination was ever used. The sweet dishes were the same every single night apart from the odd cheap mousse added in. The cereals same every day and tasted like cardboard, the museli like rabbit food. No fresh orange juice (watered down).
Milk (watered down) To sum the food up very very poor quality. It seemed to be cooked by an amatuer chef, or instructed by manangement to keep costs down. The hotel itself overall was clean, but very dated and dark and drab on corridors.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2010

Stayed here for 1 night as part of a tour of northern Spain - didn't pre-book just turned up and booked on the spot. Paid around 50 euro for the room which included breakfast. Hotel is not new and feels a bit dataed, however it is clean and the reception staff were friendly and helpful. Room was adequate, bed very comfy and bathroom fine with shower over bath. Hotel has an outdoor pool etc but didn't use. Breakfast was ok with the usual buffet options - we only had coffee and toast but could have had more. Great location as 1 min from beach front. Plenty of local restaurants/bars etc within 5 mins walk - we had local tapas and drinks which was good value. Didn't use hotel restaurant facilities. Some on-site parking - we managed to get a spot but might stuggle in high season.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Norfolk
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2009

I stayed at Hotel Univers in July last year, it was booked through the tour group I travelled with. Firstly, I will say that in it's favour, the location is superb! The hotel is literally across the road from the beach, and only a short walk from the town and its' many shops and restaurants. The town of Rosas is well situated for trips to Barcelona, Figures and Cadaques, and really is a pleasant town to spend some time.

The main problems with the hotel are that firstly it is very outdated. You get the impression it's decor was chosen when it was built in the 70's, and hasn't been updated since. From the fake plants ans over use of cheap wood pannelling in the foyer, to the neon signs and smoke screens in the bar, you really feel you have gone back to the decade that style forgot!
The room I stayed in was okay. The floor was tiled throughout the bedroom and bathroom which meant you had to be careful not to slip in bare feet, and also careful not to drop anything fragile as it would break easily. The room was not cleaned adequately the whole time (1 week) that I was there. Cleaners came every day to empty my bin and turn down my bed, but I was forever finding grime and dust on the floor and the furnishings. My air conditioning unit was broken and dripping water. I pointed this out to the cleaner who shrugged and just put a towel underneath it on the floor! When I told the receptionist, she said they'd send a repair man up straight away but they never did, so I had to keep my window open all the time instead, which was fine during the day, but made me feel a little nervous at night. My safety deposit box didn't open properly with the key they gave me, and my balcony led out onto a low flat roof; so I never felt very secure.

In the corridor outside the rooms, lights worked on a timer switch which meant they frequently turned off when you were still walking to your room! There was a huge stain covering most of the corridor carpet. We were told there'd been a problem with flooding 8 months ago?!!! 8 months without replacing a damaged carpet in a hotel is crazy- what kind of impression does it give?!
I'd like to say the hotel made up for it with their food, but sadly not. I stayed on a B&B basis and found the breakfast awful. It was buffet style, which I usually like, but the range and quality of items was poor. Rather than have proper fresh juice, it came from a machine and I'm pretty sure was synthetic squash rather than fruit juice. The coffee also came from a vending machine and tasted gritty and absolutely nothing like coffee! The croissants and breads had clearly been kept too long as they did not taste or feel fresh.

Hot water was aslo a problem- hardly ever available in the evenings. The hotel staff claimed this was as they used solar power- but surely this stores power?!

I wish I had more positive things to say, I will say the lifts mean there is good disabled access, there is a nice pool, and the pool terrace is very pleasant.

To summerise, I would recommend Rosas as a place to stay, but would advise people to book into one of its' many other hotels. Interestingly I noticed that the tour group I travelled with, have switched to a different hotel this year!

• Stayed July 2008