We booked our one week holiday, All Inclusive, through Olympic Holidays and stayed in the Macroissos complex 28th September to 5th October 2012. Olympic rate it 3+ and the website describe it as 4 start - no way would we have graded it a 3, let alone a 3+ rating. The place is not a good Flag Ship for Olympic Holidays. To say we were disapointed with the All Inclusive package is an understatement. The accommodation in blocks 300-700, where they tried to put us, are very basic, tacky and tatty - albeit clean - they are also located around the pool area, where the bar and entertainments are - this area of the complex is very noisey throughout the day and well into the night - so if you want to sleep at night, or are after a restful break request to be allocated into the 100 blocks (the best) or 200 blocks - not too bad. We were offered 3 or 4 other rooms (all similar) until eventually we secured a lovely room in the 100 series blocks (Room 107) - which was very nice, comfortable. The maid service in all rooms was something everyone was very positive about. The maids were friendly, worked hard and the even the tackiest of rooms was kept clean.
The brochure and web description of the accommodation and food are misleading - All Inclusive is a waste of money. The food choice is very limited and, as other reviewers have truthfully said, sausages left over from breakfast and other items from lunch will often find themselves in a pasta or other dish for evening meal. The food is of poor quality and sweet courses limited to one choice - same ice cream available for lunch and dinner. We found the snacks better than the main meals. Also, if you are All Inclusive you will not be allowed a pint of beer - though the bar staff are happy to let you have 2 half pints!!! However, if you are half or full board and pay for your drinks you are allowed a pint of beer no bother! The bar staff just said you can only have a pint if you pay for it. We gave up complaining that we had already pre-paid for our drinks!!!
Our treatment as All Inclusive guests frankly was poor - we, along with other All Inclusive guests felt descrininated against!!! We also felt foolish for spending so much for an All Inclusive package when folks on half board and full board were able to eat and drink outside the full variety of cuisine and drinks available in Ayia Napa - and cheaper!! The cocktails available on All Inclusive weren't too bad - though consistency and ingredients depended on who was behind the bar.
The bar area and outside dining area were not cleaned regularly (see photo's posted with this review) - sometimes your flip flops would stick to the floor when you were going to buy your drinks. The local (huge) ferrel colony of cats and wild birds had a field day after meal times. That is such a shame as the pool area, the pool itself and the gardens are quite pretty - and we never had any bother getting a sun bed, brolly or tables etc. The bar staff and waiters/waitresses worked hard, were efficient and pleasant - and were openly embarrased about the ruling of no pints being allowed for All Inclusive guests - seems it was "company policy". We challenenged our Olympic rep about the cleanliness of the bar area and about the no pint rule for All Inclusive guests. She said she would speak about the cleanliness of the bar with the manager - and that she was constantly complaining about the no pint rule!! We found this an amazing comment to come from her - bearing in mind she lives in the complex and eats and drinks there!!!! Why had'nt she or Olypic Holidays sorted this out before?
We complained in the resort and written to Olypic making our complaints clearly known. It is sad to say that despite all the problems and complaints from folks on here and in the resort itself that Macronissos Vacation Club appears in the Olympic Summer Sun brochure for 2013 with the same misleading descriptions of the accommodation, food and refreshments.
On the plus side, the place is well situated, the staff were friendly (apart from one gentleman who provides night reception cover). The entertainments team work hard and are greatly enthusiatic about their performances - laying on some really good shows at night - Blues Brothers was our favourite - plus kareoke most nights.
If I was Olympic Holidays I would get in there and sort things out - we have faith in Olympic, thats why we chose Macronissos Vacation Club - we will be more careful next time we book our holiday - we were bitterly disapointed with our All Inclusive package in the Macronissos Vacation Club. We will NOT be going back there, ever!!!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Ideally located in a peaceful spot on the outskirts of Ayia Napa, The Makronisos Village is a complete tourist village with a rustic feel. The sweeping sands of Nissi Bay with its wide range of water sports are close by, as are tavernas and a water park. The pulsing nightlife in Ayia Napa can be reached in five minutes by car, or a quick hop on the bus from outside the hotel. Checking in at the lovely reception area, you will receive a warm welcome reflecting the attentive, high standard of service to come. Attractively decorated and well equipped bungalows with spacious terraces are set among extensive gardens filled with palms and beautiful bougainvillea. The gardens create a lush back drop to the large, beautiful swimming pool with children's pool attached. A wealth of facilities and an extensive leisure programme for all ages mean you'll be torn between an energetic time or a chilled out break. So why not have a bit of both? Engage with fellow guests in volleyball, football, tennis, or water polo, to name a few, before surrendering to a dreamy massage. Don't worry about the children; they'll be well taken care of at the Kids' club, with endless all-day fun with new-found friends. Buffet meals are served in the hotel's inviting restaurant, and sandwiches, ice cream and other snacks can be bought from the bar and by the pool. Each evening entertainment is laid on in the form of barbecues, bingo, karaoke and more. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookCyprus, Booking.com, Odigeo, Priceline and Agoda so you can book your Makronisos Village reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Macronissos Vacation Club Hotel Ayia Napa
- Macronissos Village Ayia Napa
- Macronissos Village Hotel