“Great hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 106 Hotels in Ayia Napa
St. Boswells, United Kingdom
“Great hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

Stayed here 13th July - 27th July with my wife and 2 girls and had a great time. We were staying in one of the junior garden suites situated at the side of the hotel. This was spacious enough for the 4 of us with sliding doors separating the 2 sleeping areas. View of the sea from here was great. Beds comfortable enough and kitchen area equipped with large fridge/freezer including bottled water. Shower hot and powerful. Rooms cleaned daily and cleaners friendly. All food was lovely with different themed nights but enough choice to cater for all needs.
Plenty of choice at breakfast too. All staff were very friendly and the restaurant manager always on hand to make sure that someone had taken your drink order and that everything was to your satisfaction. Not a great deal of food choice at the two pool bars but this was never a problem for us as we always ate enough at meal times.
Meridian bar nice with inside and outside seating options. Drinks here served in glasses not plastic cups and a good choice of cocktails. Staff here always on hand to take table orders so you didn't have to go up to the bar.
Entertainment team friendly and encouraged the kids to get involved but weren't pushy. Night time entertainment ok for us - some nights better than others and different acts on each night.
The hotel is in a good location on the beach front. A short 15-20 minute walk into ayia napa either along beach in daytime or via a path at night.
Only downside to our stay was although there are signs saying that you can't reserve sunbeds, I had to get up at 6am to ensure that we could get one which wasn't ideal.
On our last day the general manager even shook everyone's hand and asked if we had enjoyed our stay as we got on the coach. Overall a great family holiday.

Room Tip: Junior suite bungalows very nice
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
3 Thank Graham M

Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

As our first holiday without our sons we wanted our week away to be extra memorable and the hotel staff at this hotel made this happen we could not be better looked after nothing was too much trouble in fact they went out of there was to make us feel special.
Complimentary fruit basket and our room was decorated with flower petals every day the staff all knew it was our anniversary and made us feel very special. Pool was lovely and food was really good. So glad we picked this hotel.

Room Tip: Inform hotel if you are celebrating a special occasion they really do help you .
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ronny M
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

I had the pleasure of staying in this hotel from June 4th-11th and it was the most amazing experience of any holiday I have ever had. It was the first time I had ever been on a plane and also my first non-family holiday and the staff made me feel so welcome and I can't thanks them enough for that.
Paige drewry the Thompson rep that we had the pleasure of seeing everyday could not have done any more to make it so good if it wasn't for her telling us the best places to go and things to do it would have been very boring and not as good.
Also the entertainment provided by Thompson theoughout the days we were there was flawless especially their themed nights. My overall experience was top notch and I thank everyone for making this the case. Definitely go there again.

• Stayed June 2014
      Rooms
1 Thank Caramel90s
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

I will start with the negatives. The beds are rock hard and why hotels can't provide a comfortable bed considering the money you have to pay to stay in the hotel. I would like to see Atlantica directors sleep on the beds in their hotels for 2 weeks. I bet if they did the beds would be changed with refurbs. I found this very annoying. The black out curtains behind the main curtains only covered 2/3rds of the window what would allow the early morning light in and wake you up at 6am. I have never stayed in a hotel before where the black out curtains were not big enough for the whole window. That is very poor planning and management and something what could easily resolved with the ordering and fitting of the correct sized black out curtains. My other negative is the food. It is of good quality but the same dishes came up every 2 or 3 days and there was a beef dish what turned up on the greek night what was served every lunchtime and evening except 1 lunch time for my whole stay. Beef Toskine or something like that. The themed nights were very poor and was 3 dishes from that that country theme. The lunch time before the greek night had speg bol and the sauce tasted exactly the same as moussaka I had eaten before, then on the greek night there was moussaka and it had the same meat filling as the speg bol. Then a couple of nights later there was Italian night with lasagne and it had the moussaka filling and I could tell it was the recycled moussaka because I found a small piece of aubergine in it what must of come from the moussaka served a couple of days before. The quality of the meat was good but very repetitive. The pools turn white parts of swim suites green because of the high copper content in the water. Another disappointment was the reception area was not air conditioned but had doors open so unless you went to your room there was no escaping the heat.

The hotel itself is very nice with it sea views what worth paying the extra for, the pools are nice and warm and in good condition. We always found a sunbed somewhere in the hotel grounds. You have 2 shallow pools which one is a infinity pool. Then to the rear of the hotel you have the swim up bar pool which is deeper and I enjoyed that pool the most. There is an adult only area what is not policed and I don't see the point of a adult only area if the staff are not going to tell children to stay out of the area. I found this very poor. The sign says you use the pools at your risk and there is not one single life guard at any of the pools. Considering its a family hotel I would think they would take safety more seriously.

The room has wooden laminate flooring what is starting to look tired now, as I said before the beds a rock hard and don't a proper mattress but a thin topper on a base. You will find your beach and pool towels on you bed on arrival. The bathroom is very small. There is a 26"/27" flat screen TV what has programmes in English, mainly US shows and films. Our balcony had wonderful views across the whole bay of Ayia Napa and had 2 chairs and a table. The hard beds made sleeping difficult and I have stayed in hotels with very firm beds but these beds were the hardest I had ever tried to sleep on and couple that with the black out curtains not fitting the window once you finally got to sleep than the light would wake me at 6am. The duvets were very heavy and too thick for the time of year. Our room 547 the Air Conditioning wasn't as cold as our daughters room 549 Air Condition and even though we had the hotel look at our Air conditioning it didn't improve. It cooled the room enough to be able to sleep but it could of been cooler. The sound proofing is good and we never heard anybody from the rooms next to us.

There are 2 pool bars and the main bar what serve snacks. I found the snacks very poor choice what were cheese and ham sandwich, chicken sandwich, tuna roll, local cheese roll, sausage rolls and pizza. Compared to other A/I hotels I have stayed in where they have snack bars where you can order a good selection from a menu. It didn't give you enough of a alternative to eating in the main restaurant at lunch times what is the same food as you get in the evening in general. The beer is keo but its all local spirits and I never find them like the proper branded spirits. I found it strange considering the local spirits on the menu are 3.95 Euro's and the branded is 4.40 Euro's they would not let you pay a small supplement for the branded spirits, something I have had in other A/I hotels, or you can't pay a supplement to upgrade your A/I to branded spirits. The soft drinks were 7up, Pepsi and some local soft drinks. My daughter reported the concentrate was weak. In the restaurant the soft drinks often came up flat and very weak. 90% of the staff are eastern European and they are all friendly and helpful. The main bar was Air conditioned and you could also sit out on terrace balcony overlooking the sea what had waiter service. The A/I finished at 11.45pm what was strange considering reviews from their other A/I have said 12.00am. A/I should really be till the bar closes at 1am, but they will serve cold snacks until 12.00am but not drinks.

The food was of good quality and there was plenty of choice for breakfast, launch and dinner, coffee and tea machine available through all services. The only problem was the same dishes came around every couple of days and the same beef dish was served nearly everyday at lunch and dinner. The best themed night was the barbecue night what had good quality tender steak, the best I have ever had in a hotel and loin lamb chops. There was always a good choice vegetables and different desserts and ice cream. There was no omelette station at breakfast and the show cooking was really only one choice on the service either fish, meat or dessert.

The hotel and the grounds are kept clean and the rooms are always cleaned well and we never had a problem with the cleaning. The Air Conditioning in the restaurant was very poor and it was often too warm. You also had the choice to sit outside to eat on all services.

Ayia Napa is more a family resort than clubbers resort and we found it very pleasant. its too hot in the day time to walk down into Ayia Napa and would get a taxi or bus down and I would get a bus taxi back up in the evening because the hill coming back up is quite steep and long. The beach is accessed via some steps and a path next to the infinity pool.

Because even though the hotel has minor faults what could easily be put right and provide better choice of food without the same dishes coming up every couple of days I have given it 4 stars instead of five because there were many positives about the hotel.

The review I have given is honest and I have reported factually how I found the hotel.

• 1 of 5 stars
      Sleep Quality
4 Thank potshot1
Inverurie, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

From the moment we landed in Cyprus we knew we were going to have a fantastic holiday. The Thomson rep that met us at the airport Paige Drewry was so polite and always had a smile plus she was very knowledgeable. The Hotel was excellent very clean, spacious rooms, friendly staff and fantastic food. The Thomson entertainment team were superb, Handy Andy, Teddy Bear Tash and Manda Panda were full of enthusiasm from 11.00am till midnight every day they always made time for you with a smile or information. Manda Panda's singing was amazing. The energy the 3 of them put into their shows at night was incredible they made our holiday. We will definitely be going back.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Southport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel with my family as our daughter was getting married in Cyprus. This hotel could do no wrong for us. From the food to all the staff was just perfect as well as the Thompson crew who could not do enough for us all. My dad was in a wheelchair and everybody would give a helping hand wherever we were. Even the hotel manager came out to help with the suitcases. I would recommend this hotel to anybody.

Stayed June 2014
2 Thank barb191255
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

I stayed at this hotel with my 16 year old son who had just finished his exams. What a lovely hotel with friendly staff. We arrived very late but check in was a breeze and there were sandwiches and cold drinks waiting for the late comers. The view from the hotel room (501) was absoulutely stunning, overlooking the quiet pool and the sea. The room was clean and tidy. The bathroom a tad too small but adequate for 2 people. Housekeeping was beyond fault. The room was cleaned daily and the most luxurious bath towels were left every day. Good wifi in the room and around the pool. The food was excellent with a good variety for everyone at every meal. We took advantage of the a la carte resturant and the food was very good. Both resturants were very clean and I liked the fact that you were seated by staff at dinner and it was not a free for all. The staff in the resturant were very friendly and often stopped for a quick chat. I loved that the cocktails were included in the all inclusive and several pina coladas were consumed. There were several pools but the activity pool was full quite early with families with young children so we stayed around the quiet pools on the 1st floor where the infinity pool was and took advantage of the view over the sea. Pool towels were left in the room when we arrived and could be changed 3 times a week by the quiet pools. We met some real nice people around the pool and one couple had been coming for 9 years. Unfortunately, some of hotel guests did not get that there were enough sunbeds for everyone and reserved the beds with towels quite early. We always got a sunbed after breakfast but I guess some people just like to lie in the same spot for their whole holiday. The beach was down some steps from the hotel and it had lovely white sand. The sea was lovely and warm and shallow for quite a way out. The walk into town took a slow 15 minutes and the buses rang frequently stopping by the hotel. All in all this was a great holiday in a great hotel and I will definately be visiting again soon.

Room Tip: For 2 people room 501 was really great with a breeze coming across from the sea.
4 Thank LondonerE14