“Nice hotel but not for the British!” 3 of 5 stars

Stamatia Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   P.O. Box 30069, Ayia Napa 5341, Cyprus   |
Ranked #41 of 103 Hotels in Ayia Napa
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
“Nice hotel but not for the British!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 10 days whilst on holiday in Ayia napa from 16th oct-26 oct. The hotel is very nice, the rooms are nice, its very close to all the bars, cafe's, restaurants and the main nightlife is only about a 10 minutes walk. The beach is very close and is only about a minutes walk. The food is very nice at the hotel and always plenty to choose from.

I found the girl on reception to be quite friendly but the restaurant staff I found to be quite rude and not friendly at all!! They never seemed to smile and I never got a hello from them especially when entering the restaurant which I thought was rude. One day I was taking my lunch outside and one of the waiters said no no. I have been to other hotels and have eaten outside no problem and if you was to eat somewhere in Ayia napa then there would be no issues with eating outside. One of the waiters slammed my drink down on the table one lunch time and seemed moody and I thought gosh there is no need for that!

The hotel seemed to be full of foreign people and there didnt seem to be any British people which I thought was unusual. The guests seemed to be very noisy, talking really loudly and banging and knocking on doors loudly and closing doors very loudly and I thought there is no need for that. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone and I would say avoid. Its a nice hotel but its a shame about the staff. When guests come to a hotel they expect a warm welcome and I didnt receive that. Ayia napa is a very nice place and I would love to go back but I wouldnt return to this hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Greek first
Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

We stayed here for two weeks on a bed and breakfast tariff (£1,900 plus) we found the hotel to be very clean as was our room, towels changed every other day and sheets a few times a week.
The staff we came across were very polite and friendly especially Natasha and Ellias.
Breakfast was very good with lots of choices from continental through to a full English, plus fresh fruit, cheeses, pastries and a selection of juices (although the orange appeared to be of a cheap value and very watery) the music played at breakfast did grate on my nerves at times, too loud and too heavy when all you want is to eat your breakfast in peace.

The hotel is In a prime position for shops, beach and restaurants all within a few minutes walking distance, our room was at the front of the hotel and sleeping was difficult with the many sounds of different music played in the vicinity, we had to resort to using ear plugs and still we heard noise from other venues or very loud guests returning to the hotel.

Our TV did not work when we arrived, and on day 3 it was changed for a new one, but as someone has already said on here, there were no English channels to watch except for BBC World News as most of the channels were in Russian.

On the downside....if you wanted a fridge it was 3 euros a day as was the safe, thus adding a further 88 euros for a 2 week stay, we have never paid additional for a fridge and this was no exception, we were also disappointed that no kettle for tea or coffee was in the rooms, instead we were charged 2.50 euros for one small cup which is a complete rip off, had I had my usual 5 cups a day over the two week period it would set us back a further 35 euros...shameful!

The hotel appears to have mainly Russian guests and the music that is played in the hotel was testimony to this, we only used the bar area once as we found the music too Red Square and holding a conversation was difficult without shouting at each other, instead we ventured out to the Alexia across the street where the music played was more familiar and we were able to converse with people of our native tongue.

It's very certain that we would not stay at this hotel again, we do feel that Cyprus is very expensive anyway and for what we paid (not including flights) we could have gone fully inclusive in the Canaries as we have often done where the extras here are included in the price. I know that Cyprus has suffered financially but people will not return if they feel they're being ripped off in having to pay additional charges for what is normal standards elsewhere.

Other Info: If you're looking to buy any toiletries, baby products or bottled water, check out Incredible Universal a store on Nissi Avenue, a small bottle of water is 20c or 6 x two euros! this place is a must for travellers and you will save euros! we were charged 2 euros for a bottle of water for a 2 year old in Bedrock Bar exactly the same water as Incredible Universal for 20 cents!

Also for good food and entertainment! try the Hokkaido a Japanese restaurant where we laughed until we cried by the two chefs while preparing our meal, also the De Medici an Italian Restaurant on Nissi Avenue.

We love Cyprus for their friendly people, the beautiful Island and lovely weather, but we think next year we'll rent a villa from a Cypriot friend a few miles from nappa where we will get value for money.

Room Tip: Take ear plugs...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
ayia napa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

Arrived 2 days ago rude staff on arrival. Broken toilet with no attempt to fix it only moved room after insisting. Rude cleaners. Reception staff very rude. Dirty out of date rooms. Rotten towels.light switches with paperclips to turn on and off.lights that dont work. Think they go to lidl to get thier food!!! Greasy fat laden badly cooked food. Needless to say I would NOT recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed September 2013
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

just had one week at this hotel food great staff brill good clean hotel location great
would recomend this hotel .nice pool kids play area all the reviews i read did not put us off
some folk want a five star hotel for what they pay and never satisfied try this hotel and
dont be put off with nit pickers

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

Me and my friend have just returned from a weeks stay at the stamtia from the 15th jun to the 22nd june. on arrival we got to our room which was right next to reception and had a small double bed and an 'inside' balcony, which was no good as we booked a twin room (2 girls) and had a side sea view confimred. went to reception and the lady said we had to come back in the morning, recieved a phonecall to our room at 9am to say they have another room on the 2nd floor for us, and it did have twin beds and a sea view. the hotel is very nice, better than expected, clean, tidy and all waiters are very nice and helpful. the only downfall is the food, but we ate out as it was so cheap anyway.

location is perfect....2 mins from ayia napa beach and 5 mins walk to the main buzzling square where the nightclubs are and plenty of bars and restaraunts on the way. no noise heard at night!

lovely beach bar to go eat at if on the ayia napa beach! sunbeds only 2euro for the day! would also reccommend the los bandidos mexican and the lpazzo bianco italian in the square for food at night...amazing!

definatley would go back and stay at the stamatia :) perfect for everything...sunbathe by day, party by night!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

Me and my partner stayed at this hotel last week , on seeing the online pics for the hotel room I wasn't impressed as it was very dated but as the lovely gentleman who showed us to our room I was surprised , our hotel block had been renovated its was very modern and very clean just what I wanted :) there was air conditioning , hairdryer , but if u wanted the fridge or safe there was a charge of 3 euro a day and no free wifi . our check in was at 1am so we wernt expecting food but to our surprise they had a packed lunch for us :)
Every member of staff is very friendly and helpful , the room is cleaned everyday but if u want a lie in u have a door sign sayin don't disturb . We stayed all inclusive but we ended up eating out most meals , some days were ok but other days I couldn't stomach it I did really enjoy the Italian night but that's all I enjoyed through out the week , it was a big let down with the food , not all of it was labelled and that put me off befor starting . There is a big selection of cocktails much to my delight very tasty 2 :) . The hotel is in a great location only a 2 min walk to the harbour where we went n a boat trip , there are lovely places to eat , the beach isn't that clean there (nissi beach is very clean ) and u must try yogolicious it's a Greek yoghurt icecream shop with different flavours u may try before u buy and there is about 50 toppings to choose from u help yourself then get it weighed truly scrumptious I had one every day . There is a bus stop not far away it was a euro to go to nissi beach lovely place , we didn't venture up the party side we stayed on the quiet side plenty of water. Activities to do .
All in all I did enjoy my stay but I don't know if I would return as I didn't enjoy the food

• Stayed June 2013
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

I visited this hotel for the second time in June 13. My earlier visit had been in 2001. It is a great hotel, previous reviews that I read would have put me off going to this hotel. It is cleaned daily, bathrooms have been upgraded, rooms are spacious, staff are friendly and hotel is very quiet. Hotel is predominantly full of Russian and German guests as opposed to Brits, but to me, that was a bonus. Would absolutely stay there again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Stamatia Hotel? Share your experiences!