“Good base for a girlie break” 3 of 5 stars

Aphelandra Hotel Apts
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 Kavo Greco Street, Ayia Napa 5344, Cyprus   |
Ranked #71 of 102 hotels in Ayia Napa
Southampton
“Good base for a girlie break”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2012

Basic but clean rooms. Location as others have said, is a walk up the hill from the Square. Supermarkets and restaurants not far either. The pool is small but good atmosphere around it and the bar was OK too. Nice staff.

2 downsides for me which would potentially put me off going back:

* Apts back onto another apt complex which never seemed to be quiet. Lots of fights breaking out there etc

* The apts back onto some waste ground which most people use as a shortcut down to the square. Although OK in the day and when with other people, it is not somewhere I would want to walk along at night or alone. Isolated and with places someone could hide, it was quite creepy.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends

54 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Galway, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2012

Firstly i want to address previous reviews, I have stayed here twice most recently in October (and October in 2009)with my husband and our 7month old baby and another couple and their 8 month old baby, October was the perfect time to stay no rowdyness or young ones going mental. Katerina and Francis running the bar /resteraunt made the holiday unforgetable. They made it home from home, katerinas cooking is fantastic and she always gave me sneaky tastes of local cypriot food that wasnt on the menu ( cypriot village sausages yummmmm) and they were very taken with our baby, they were known/ called Yaya and Papous (granny and grandad) for the whole holiday. Dont believe a word of the stuff about Francis hes a gentleman. The drink is very cheap, and i would imagine people drinking around the pool all day with their own drink and shouting and breaking glasses round the pool would get anyone mad. We heard some unbelievable stories. They work extremely hard. A great couple. Amy whinhouse in reception is lovely too. The apartments are a bit up on the hill but perfect, only a 5 minute walk and your on the main strip which can be very boisterous with nightclubs opening only at 6am so staying in aphelandra is perfect best of both worlds near everything but a quiet nights sleep. It is all stairs to the rooms and pool which could be hard especially with a buggy but it was so lovely staying here that it didnt matter. The rooms were basic but cleaned every day- what more do you want from a weeks holiday.
We will be back !!

Room Tip: Pool view are much nicer rooms
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Western Ireland, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2011

Stayed here for a week in the summer on a girls holiday. Had a fantastic week, never a dull moment!! The apartments are basic but very clean and cleaned regularly, kitchenette had everything you needed, there was always hot water and the balcony was great. Perfect for a holiday involving lots of fun and drink, i would not recommend it to families or couples looking for a quiet relaxing time, its not for the faint hearted. Francis and his wife were wonderful, i dont think that man sleeps, he seemed to be always there! The pool bar was open 24 hours which means it can stay noisy very late into the night. Very close to the square and just a short stroll to all the nightlife. We took a bus to nissi beach most days which i would highly recommend. We went at the height of the summer and came purely to party and i would estimate 80% of those staying were there for the same reason, aphelandra are the perfect apartments to come to if you are coming for this type of holiday and if you are coming here for relaxation and a quiet time, i would recommend do not stay here until the end of the summer or off season.

Room Tip: Rooms with balconies facing the pool and bar area are quite noisy at night
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Dublin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2011

Myself & my partner are just back from a weeks holiday in Ayia Napa where we stayed in the Aphelandra - we had a great week, the apartments are basic but clean - the cleaners come in every second day but if you wish to have your towels changed everyday there is an extra charge of €8.00.

Our apartment consisted of 1 bedroom with 2 single beds, bathroom with shower & bath, living area with two chairs, sofa, fridge, a little microwave cooker & balcony which opened out from the bedroom & the living room it was a grand size - we had everything we needed as we didnt come away to sit in our apartment.

The food & drink in the aphelandra is one of the cheapest in ayia napa especially the breakfast, we ate there every morning we had dinner there twice & it was very good, no complaints whatsoever.

The pool area is very nice, not the largest I have ever seen but as it was on the small size we got chatting to everyone else who stayed there & we made lots of friends, everyone we encountered were so friendly & they are all talking about heading back over the same time next year, we had lots of fun.

Bar area has game machines, internet, free wii fi, playstation & a pool table.

Now to the staff - firstly i would just like to say that Francis wife is fantastic, so friendly & cheerful every single day & couldnt do enough not just for us but for every single guest who was staying there. Didnt have much interaction with the receptionist but she seemed very friendly. Francis, what can I say about Francis........... well he did come across as a bit standoffish & not friendly but I had read the reviews before I came over so maybe it was my fault because Francis was friendly with us, he gave us a free shot on more than one occasion, he did however mention to my partner one night that we hadnt ate that night but it was all then laughed off, he dosent have the greatest customer service i have ever seen but himself & his wife were there to say goodbye hugging & kissing everyone as they left.

We went from the 25th sept for 7 nights so it was coming to the end of the season over there, i have been to ayia napa many, many times & always prefer it in September you still get the very hot weather way over the 30's but its just not as mental as June/July/August - there was music around the pool area but id say during peak season it is much louder & as i said about the pool area being on the small size id say it would be difficult enought to find a sunbed.

Ayia napa is very expensive especially since they changed over to the Euro so dont expect a cheap holiday be careful when you walk down the square all you get are PR's trying to get you into there bar/club - free drink when you buy one sounds good, eh not when the one drink you buy costs you €9.00 & then you get a watered down cocktail - we spent our time in Luke Kelly's, drink was cheap music was great then onto either carwash niteclub, starskys or the castle.

The aphelandra is very close to the square its only a walk away, you could also walk to Nissi Ave (where you will find lovely restaurants & more bars) or to the beach but might take you about 15-20mins, we hired out a quad for four days & it was fantastic we could go anywhere from the ghost town of Famagusta, to waterworld to paralimini - our favourite beach was Golden Sands but Nissi Beach came a close second you have to pay for your sunbed & umberella which is about €7.50 in most beaches.

On our last day our Flight was delayed & we were allowed stay in our apartment until we got collected at 4.00pm, this is very rare as most apartments expect you out at 12.00pm or else pay extra - Overall from the previous reviews it was a very pleasent surprise, when we come back to ayia napa we will be staying in the Aphelandra- Thank you for making our stay so wonderful.

Room Tip: Rooms facing away from the pool are quieter plus you get the sun on you balcony all day
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2011

Went over with 3 lads there for a weeks hols in Sept. No complaints at all.Great cheap food and drink. Nice pool & sunbeds. Basic apartment but clean and practical. Fridge, sink cooker and utensils. Constant hot water. Nice staff. Free WI Fi internet computers pool table, playstation, Close to center very quiet at night. 2 min walk to supermarket/ off license. Would like to stay here again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Hull, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2011

well have just got home from my two week holiday to the aphelandra hotel in napa.It is my second time there and it wont be my last.It was two fantastic weeks in one of the friendliest hotels I have ever stayed in.From arriving to leaving I was treat fantastically.As I was on my own I was wary but didnt spend hardly anytime on my own cos the staff and people at the hotel where always there to talk to.Francis and Katerina who run the bar are two of the nicest people I have ever met.And there is a receptionist called Yodda who is the double of amy winehouse who always sorted out any probs with my room.The food is great and I ate there most days.Very cheap as is the beer at the hotel.Rooms clean and adequate for my stay.Met so many lovely people that we have made a pact to come back next sept for two weeks as we all love the place.So roll on 2012 when the aphelandra massive will be back!!!!!

Room Tip: rooms at front of hotel are quieter
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Stevenage, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2011

When I arrived I was a little disappointed, the hotel looked nice but I was expecting a separate bedroom to the front room as wen I booked it was for an apartment. It was more like a studio flat with the bedroom and front room and kitchen all in one room, the bathroom was separate. The kitchen was very small but clean and had all most all of the facilities you would use to cook. I could of done with clean towels everyday but the I suppose you pay for what you get, you could rent a towle for 8 euros (if you are going to do this DON'T as you can buy them for 5 euros down the shop or beech) Aircon did not work all week, we only got 20 euros of our money back and I think we paid around 60 euros for it. We stayed for 7 days. The staff were ok, the bar staff liked us when we was spending money on drinks or food. The food was nice, but I'll eat anything. Cocktail were a result only 2.50 euros each but in a very small plastic cup. The variety was good, but the cups could of be 3x the size. We was right near the strip only 5 minutes to the main clubs and stuff like that. Suppose all you need if your looking to party for a week. The pool nice but I preferred to spend my time down the beach. Nissi beach is sooooo nice, make sure you go. Water park was also great fun and has a racing track next to it. I did'nt go to it but it looked likes loads of fun. I would stay at this hotel again even thought the aircon did not work. But I do like to try new things so would only stay if all my mates wanted to or the people I was going with wanted to stay there. Not because it was rubbish but simply because I like to try out other places. I went in August and it was sooooo hot I got really tanned : ) I Would advise going around that time of year.

Room Tip: ask for a seperate bedroom to front room, if you what it seperate that it.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Aphelandra Hotel Apts? Share your experiences!