“great fun” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #65 of 104 hotels in Ayia Napa
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“great fun”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2007

best holiday so far,hotel is close to the beach,10 mins. from the main square and bar street,clean rooms and hotel , during my stay not many brits,mainly russian polish and german, 5pm every day we sang the national anthem around the pool ,other nations were so impressed they in turn all sang there own anthems we all had a laugh about it and all got along. staff friendly and did not mind me running around the hotel dressed as superman. quite a few elder foriegners there who also joined in with the fun no moaners or wingers. suitable for young old and families.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

60 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Chatham, Kent
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2007

We first stayed in the Nelia in 2001. We decided to stay again only this time with our 4month old daughter. It hadn't changed really. We went Bed & breakfast and we were glad we did. The food at breakfast was ok, but not really a great quality. The hotel is now all inclusive as well and this means that the bar is often very busy with people queuing with their wristbands. The greatest thing about this hotel is the the staff. The team are great. I would return purely because of them. Nothing is too much trouble. If you have a bit of extra holiday money left have a massage. The reception staff will book it for you. A local lady come to the hotel and after 40mins I felt great!
The Nelia is a simple, pleasant, clean 3 star hotel in a good location near the Harbour.

• Liked — the staff
  • Disliked — The noise at night.
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
Chelmsford Essex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2007

Have been to the Nelia lots of times - as you can see we are part time Cypriots - that is what the Cypriots call us. Elena has now gone as has Mickalis (Michael the barman) - but when we went we discovered where he worked and he still took us out for a meal - thats the Cypriots for you - absolutely bloomin smashing - wish we could live there!! The new barman - Antonio was a real cutie - hope he's there when we go this year - have just booked today to go in June.
Chinoula - one of the receptionists was getting married in January 2007 - we sent her a card. Lovely girl very helpful. Can't wait to go back - its a 3 star hotel - if you expect the Ritz you may be dissappointed. If you want a clean fairly quiet hotel without too much razz ma taz - you will not. May be see you there in June.

• Liked — the position
  • Disliked — all inclusive
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
St.Pete
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2006

We spent 10 days in this hotel, didn't really go with any package holidays, just bought a separate flight and booked a hotel through MedHotels…
To be honest I really liked the hotel.
It is right next to the beach but there are some trees, and a building site in between beach and hotel itself so you could walk around it and it'd take about 2 minutes! The hotels beach bit wasn't really the best from my point of view, I don't like when there are some stones on the beach, so the next day we walked about 5 minutes to the left and stayed next to Grecian Bay hotel and the beach was superb (pictures attached), really sandy and nice. We rented the sunbeds first day (through hotel it's £3 for 2 beds and an umbrella) but then we found you can buy an umbrella at the supermarket for £5.50 and that was the best decision ever!
We are a young couple (in our mid twenties) but we didn't really come for clubbing holiday, so we only went to the main square couple of times for a walk an it wasn't that busy (but then it was only 11pm so maybe nothing kicked off yet..)
Generally it was a bit quite which we loved. The hotel I reckon could be even 3+*, the room was really nice, not much choice with tv channels but we didn't really need it.
The swimming pool is very small but it never got busy, you can always get sunbeds there...
The food was great. Of course if you were in 5 star hotels last year the food choice would seem a bit limited but I always found what to eat and I'm picky! (I don't even eat chips). There were always a choice of different meats (one each) and fish and several salads, soup, deserts etc…
Drinks on all inclusive were also good. Not all the cocktails are included but a fair bit! What I found strange was when you ask for Bloody Mary they say it's not included but if you ask for a vodka tomato juice and put some salt-pepper in it it was included!
Staff is quite friendly-especially Slovakian girls that work there and barmen.
There was one waitress-I think she was Cypriot and one old man also Cypriot-they were the only ones that looked completely miserable and not happy but not towards the guests, I think they we always arguing between each other but of course not knowing Greek can't say for sure…
The entertainment was really good! It was different dinner theme every night and about 4 times a week they would have a different entertainment. Especially the English girl who was singing on thursdays (can't say exactly though), her voice was really good!
Most of the people at the hotel are Russians, then there are a bit of Swiss, english and Slovakian…
There were old people, young, couples, people with kids as well so I wouldn't say that Ayia Napa is a "clubbing" destination, I'd say it's for everybody. We didn't go clubbing and never seen any drunken teenagers.
Hope you'll enjoy your stay! It's the cheapest option around but I didn't feel we had worst/better food/drink/location then the hotel next door (except their swimming pool was a bit bigger). There is Oceanos next door which also look quite good.
Have a good time!

• Liked — Clean, nice food and drinks, not noisy
  • Disliked — small swimming pool
  • Tips/Secrets — sit next to the bar whn having lunch/dinner and you'll get served quicker!
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Warrington, Cheshire, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2005

We have just returned from staying at the Nelia Beach Hotel on Thursday 6th Oct 05. Although this was our 6th time in Ayia Napa we had never stayed at this hotel before.

I was slightly worried about some of the reviews but I shouldn't have been. Both my husband and myself had a great time. The hotel is situated far enough away from the main square to be restful during the day and was only a 10 minute walk to the 'action' in the evening. The pool was on the small size, but hey the beach is only 2mins walk from the rear of the hotel.

All the staff were very friendly, especially Elena, who runs the poolside bar. She is a scream, had us laughing all the time and Mikilas the Barman in the evenings. The food was well cooked and presented nicely with theme nights, but as with most AI it can get a bit repetitive towards the middle of the second week. So we decided to eat out a couple of times. If you are going to Ayia Napa, try Los Banditos (Mexican Restaurant) it is brill... but get there before 10pm as it gets really busy. Try the strawberry margaritas; I thought I had died and gone to heaven.

Also, try the Kahlua Bar in the square for excellent cocktails and good company & music. Say hello to Andrea and Yannis for me. (Iris & Pat).

Unfortunately, AI is not going to be an option next year, not only for this hotel but many other we were told.

Please don't let people put you off Ayia Napa, it is not just for the young, its for the young at heart. I am 48 and my husband is 51 and the age groups are quite varied in Sept/Oct. There is music for every taste and age and even English style pubs.

The only thing I would suggest is that you must book 'Named Accommodation' otherwise you may end up in the middle of the square over a club/bar' which would be a bit noisy to say the least......

We will be back next year partying as good as ever.......
Iris & Pat

• Stayed September 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2005

We booked a large family party to go to the Nelia Hotel. Me, my husband and son had stayed in Ayia Napa before and really wanted to show the rest of our party how good it was. I had read other reviews prior to going and to be honest I was dreading it because we had spent so much money on the holiday I didn't want to be the one to blame if anything had gone wrong.

Well what can I say! The food was out of this world even the fusiest eater would have found something they liked. The hotel overall was very clean and the staff where outstanding. Katie (the entertainments manager) was crazy, she kept everyone busy with her programme (I don't know when she ever had time to sleep). Elena who worked behind the bar was very friendly and funny. I could go on and on.

The hotel is about a one minute walk to the nearest beach, only a five minute walk to the clubs and Luna Park.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is thinking of going to Ayia Napa, we definately will be returning, and just one more thing take the All Inclusive option (but make sure you diet before you go).

• Stayed August 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2005

After reading terrible reports about this hotel after we'd booked the holiday i was dreading going to this hotel. went in September 04 and been to Ayia Napa 3x before so the thought of going to such a horrible hotel put me off. arrived quite late but first impressions were very good, receptionist was friendly, our room was modern and clean and the bathroom had a proper bath and good shower. Had difficulties working the safe so we called reception and they sent someone straight up to help us. The only thing i didnt like was the balcony, it was very small and it didnt seem very safe. we also overlooked the next hotel which was only about 20meters away and we could hear and see everyone.

We stayed on a half board basis but we chose to upgrade to all inclusive when we got there, you could pay at reception.
The pool area was lovely, and it was kept very clean, Elena who worked behid the bar was a nutter, she was very friendly and made everyone feel really welcome. It was just a couple of steps away from the beach but when you get free drinks all day you dont venture too far. The other hotel staff were all friendly and would do anything to help. Even the night porter, George was friendly no matter what time you came in he was always nice, even when we left a trail of popcorn for him to clean up after going to a popcorn party(great fun if you want to go).
The food was ok. There was a different theme night every night but the food was mainly the same, the snacks though were very good and these were available after breakfast, dinner and tea. So if you took kids and they didnt like the normal food then they could get chips, burgers, etc. The barbeque night was good.
Although we didnt stay originally all inclusive because we did not want to be tied to the hotel and we went to the square everynight, if we had gone all inclusive we would have been disappointed with the entertainment because there wasnt any. There was 1 entertainment girl who was very nice, who did aqua aerobics & water polo in the day, then at night while we were there we had 1 greek dancer, 1 kareoke night and 2 games of bingo over 14 nights. The rest of the time you were on your own. The bar shut at 12pm for free drinks then closed at 1am, if you were still up the lights would be turned off. Luckily Ayia Napa doesnt shut and we met some great friends at the hotel.
The hotel was in a great location, on the beach, near the harbour and just a few minutes walk from the noisy bit.
Went to Egypt on a 2 night cruise while we were there and I was a bit worried about leaving everything in the room, but there were no problems at all. While we were there no-one had anything stolen and as far as I know no-one made any complaints.
Am definately going back to Ayia Napa and would go back to the Nelia, overall we had a great stay there.
P.S. if you go the George Cross behind the bar is ours!!

Been to Nelia Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!