“Lovely time but not 5 star” 3 of 5 stars

Atlantica Aeneas Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   40 Nissi Ave, Ayia Napa 5344, Cyprus   |
Ranked #9 of 104 hotels in Ayia Napa
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Lovely time but not 5 star”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

On arrival the reception area is nice looking but not as luxurious as other hotels I have stayed at- we had a really friendly gent on reception and we received welcome drinks on reception which was a nice touch.
Our room was nice but again not 5 stars- it was a little bit weathered but we had a nice big bed and the furniture was made with different woods which was cool.
I must point out though that on the website it says that the rooms have sky plus- this is a lie!!
All of the channels are foreign, mostly German- the only English Channel is sky news world which believe me becomes tiresome after two weeks!!
The pool is absolutely huge and they seem to clean it regularity which is good- the sunbeds were a problem as people would reserve them in the early hours of the morning which towels so you have to do like wise as you don't have a prayer if not!!
The pool activities throughout the day are great- I didn't personally join in as I am lounge around with a book type but it was good to see others enjoying them!! They played water polo, water darts, water volley ball, ping pong and did aqua aerobics.
There is also a quiz that they do in the afternoon which is nice after your post lunch snooze.
They have different bars- however the two swim up bars closed so early which was disappointing.. And they only do certain cocktails which was a pain when they didn't have your holiday favourite.
I must say most of the staff were wonderful - especially the cleaners. They always spoke to you, would clean you room a bit later on with no complaint if you wanted to go back in after breakfast and they bring chocolates around every evening which is a nice touch.
The food- well to start the a la cartes only sallow you in if the gents wear trousers- that is ridiculous in that heat and I think it is unfair to not allow tailored or chino shorts with a shirt. So I cannot personally comment on those but our friends went and said it was good but there were kids running around but I think that is more to do with the parents than the hotel.
The buffet restaurant was good- the staff were polite and as here were a big group of us they would always go out of there way to create a suitable table for us.
The breakfast is nice, there is a lot of variety but I would say get there before 9 as they do run out of pastries and things that aren't replaced ( the hot breakfast items are regularity replenished)
Lunch and dinner were good, they did a variety of different things and there were lots of different meats and salads.
On some nights they did themes like Mexican and Greek which were good- on the Greek night they had dancers and singers on who got everyone up doing all the moves which we all really enjoyed.
The downfall was the meat could be a bit hit and miss- some nights it was excellent and others it was poor- overcooked steak and fatty kebabs.
The puddings were quite samey I definetly think they need a bit more variety but I would recommend trying the profiteroles and the banoffee cake they were gorgeous.
The entertainment team... Well they were poor. They could not sing bless them and people would leave the entertainment area because it was that bad... It wasn't like they were Karaoke singers,.. They were seriously terrible, to the point you would be wincing !! The lead girl was okay but the others were just dreadful.
I feel bad saying it as they were lovely people- especially the young girl from Newcastle, dye always chatted to us and was a genuinely nice person! But they are not 5 star hotel material :-(
One of the entertainment evenings they had was hosted by a group called tropicana... They really were fantastic. They did fantastic dances with rio inspired costumes and got everyone up dancing at the end- everyone really enjoyed it.
There was also a magician and illusionist but I cannot comment as I missed those ones.
The inside bar is nice, it has a good atmosphere and they have live music on every night ( you also have this at dinner)
Please note though that the bar closes for all inclusive at midnight- it is open until 1am but you have to pay for you drinks- I thought that was poor.
I would definitely suggest ordering as many as possible at 11.45pm!!!!
We only had one issue at the bar- we arrived back from an outing at 12.15 am and it was one of the groups birthday. We told the lady on reception who said as it is your birthday you can all have a baileys.
We went to the bar and asked and the bar man was so aggressive and rude- he started shouting and everyone went quiet it was disgraceful.
I then spoke to another member of staff who came and spoke to him and said we could have our drinks but the lady should not have done that.
I said to him that's fine but I will not be spoken to like that, I was utterly shocked.
The hotel is directly across from nissi beach- it is gorgeous. Sun loungers and umbrellas are reasonably priced, there is a really nice bar and restaurant however it is expensive.
There are lots of water sports available as well if you like that type of thing- I was convinced into paragliding!!
There is also a supermarket that is part of the hotel, and one opposite so you do not have to go far.
If you turn left outside the hotel there are restaurants, sports bars and supermarkets- the sports bars are really cheap for drinks and they all had big screens for the World Cup- we really enjoyed ourselves.
All the taxis in the area are limousines which is fun- they are always outside the hotel and very reasonably priced.
Be careful spending loads of money on a swim up room before you go- we asked if one was available and we were told yes and they moved us for free( which was great for us but not so great for someone else in our party who had paid out hundreds for his swim up)
There is a new bit at the back of the hotel which is lovely so make sure you find it- lots of empty pool and a gorgeous swim up bar.
If you have children there is a pirate playground for them which looked fun for the young ones.
Overall we did enjoy our holiday but sadly it was not worth the money they was paid and it is not a five star in my opinion.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

833 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Sheffield
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Me and my partner arrived on 22nd June and left 2nd July for a friend wedding. I will start off with the good...
The hotel is beautiful and its massive so it never feels busy. Theirs pool everywhere so you never struggle at getting a bed (even though people still reserved beds at 5 in the morning!!!). The staff work so hard from morning to night really polite and helpful. Never struggle at getting a drink.
The bad...
The air con is rubbish we slept with wet cloths on us by the end of the holiday because we just wanted to sleep it was so hot!! I usually don’t sleep with the aircon on I’m that nesh! we even left a key card in the door so it was constantly on for 10 days (2 of which we went up to the Turkish side so the doors wasn't even opened!!). A fan would have been better.
There is also still an old part of the hotel which lucky we wasn't put in, but a few of the other for the wedding was but they complained and was quickly moved. If this happens just explain the rooms are not the ones advertised!!
The food is very repetitive, every night pizza, chips, joint of meat, pasta... dont get me wrong it was lovely and cooked really well but could do with mixing it up!!
The Chinese a la carte restaurant was bad!!! The starter was lovely I had Peking duck and my partner has chicken wings but the main was uneatable it was just cooked in pure salt and I love salt but it was really bad even my partner couldn't eat it and he eats anything!!!
The worst bit of the holiday is the amount of people who go into you room!! it is ridiculous even if you complain they will do nothing about it every day was the clean as you would expect then you would have the chocolate ladies who if you didn’t answer the door would just walk in always at siesta time giving you chocolate for a tip, then the mini bar guy even the holiday reps came in and left information on the table instead of posting it through!! Needless to say I got robbed someone took my kindle from my room, after telling my holiday reps they rang the police that did nothing except accuse the cleaner in front of us!! The manager of the hotel brought down a log of the room which showed who had been in, which on one of the days was 6 different people!! The manager never once took the time to speak to me let alone apologized just looked at me like I had done something wrong it was her attitude was disgusting, needless to say nothing was done about it just wasted 3hrs of last day of my holiday when we tried to get late checkout they wanted to charge us 80 euros for 6hours!!! Complete rip off!!
There was another wedding party there too which had their wedding money stolen from there room who was also told nothing could be done about it!! also another lad who was with us got money stolen from his room!!
I really wouldn't recommend this hotel for the price it is more like a 3 star than a 5.

Room Tip: ask for the new part
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Aeneas-Team, General Manager at Atlantica Aeneas Hotel, responded to this review, yesterday
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your review and for your recognition of our staff that you consider to be hard working, polite and helpful.

Concerning your account of the rest of your review, we would like to inform you that the staff members that have access to the rooms are only authorized staff members that are there to serve our guests, this will included the chambermaid that requires to enter the room on a daily basis for the cleanliness of the room, the mini bar attendant that will enter to check and restock the mini bar if a guest has asked for mini bar service, a technician that may be called in and the evening chambermaids.

The chocolate lady as you have mentioned are our evening chambermaids that go round the rooms for our turning down service which can include a tidy of the room, replacement of towels if required etc. and part of that service is also the complimentary offer of chocolates.

If a guest wishes to not be disturbed in their room, we do provide do not disturb signs on the inside of the door that when hung on the outer door handle, our staff will more than respect a guest’s wishes.

The hotel takes security very seriously and I can assure you as mentioned that only authorized personnel enter the rooms to carry out their daily duties, the reading (log, that monitors the room door access) that our Front Office Manager brought down may show the maid entering several times on the same day because if the maid requires to collect linens, etc. she is advised to close the door and re-enter when she returns with clean linens. If a guest reports a lost item and requires an official report for insurance purposes we always assist the guest to apply to the local police which is the only authority to provide such a report. Regarding the lost kindle the police was called in to investigate without any findings.

Our guests’ are advised that the hotel cannot be responsible for personal belongings being left unattended on the sunbeds or any public areas (lobby, pool areas, etc) or balcony/terrace with the balcony doors open. We have a guest property policy that explains to guests how to safely store their valuables; all of our rooms are equipped with safety deposit boxes so that guests may store their valuables in for safe keeping, information for the safety deposit boxes can be obtained from our Reception Desk.

Furthermore we regret if you were disappointed that keeping your room on longer meant an extra charge; however the cost of the late checkout is based on comparable hotels in our area and is a charge required for the extra use of the room past checkout time. Alternatively, the hotel also offers a courtesy room to our departing guests to have a shower and change at no extra charge.

The Atlantica Aeneas Team
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We were recommended to this hotel, I would also recommend it. We had a fab time from the moment we arrived the staff were excellent we had a few minor issues and the staff where on it and fixed it with a smile. The food was perfect the choices were amazing, we went to the al acarte restaurant for my husband birthday the food was 5* staff the same. If you wanted to get involved with activities you could, we wanted a quiet time so we used the quiet pool. The beach is across the road which is very safe for children.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Wales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

This is not my first time in Cyprus ... been going here for 30 yrs, however this time it was a holiday booked by family member ... who had to cancel and could not get a refund ... so pitched in and bought this as a short notice holiday for self & wife - expectations were not high as we had not chosen it - this hotel exceeded my expectations, significantly so and on many levels - so pleasantly surprised.

Arrived ( 30 June) .. and had the fastest check-in ever, hotel was ready for us, even providing chilled drink on arrival. Reception staff were friendly & helpful .... wish all hotels were this slick.

Room (607)... First impression was 'wow' ... Room was large, clean, cool (great air con) slide open the patio door and you have your own swim-up from the pool ... excellent.
Rooms had reasonably sized bathroom, plenty of wardrobe & cupboard space - and included a fridge for your own use.
Shower was a bit disappointing - poor water flow .. and being an over bath type, not particularly wide .. and hampered by ridiculous placement of the shampoo dispenser ,, right where you need to stand - making the standing area the narrowest - stupid placement.

It included a Safe ... but very poor to find you had to pay a daily charge to use this ... not a deposit on a key, but a daily charge - never been expected to pay for a room safe before. Strangely in comparison it did have free WiFi not only in reception but down to each room.
The patio area is small .. but enough and superbly positioned such that is gave shade when sun got to hot by pool, many rooms were in direct sun all day which would not have been as good.
The room we had was towards back of complex .. Which meant we were not by the main pool ... but as that can get noisy & busy ... the other pools were a better choice for us.

The whole complex is built around several large free-form pools, which combined give acres of pool water, in general pools were in good state of repair .... although pool bottoms could do with more frequent vacuuming .. dirt & sand etc.
There is a towel service for the pool - change them daily, they are a bit thin and not particularly good quality ... but they are free so you don't need to take any with you.
There is also a large kids (pre teens) water park ... which would be a god-send for families with children.

There are loads of sunbeds ... but all sun umbrellas are fixed and these are in short supply .. Unfortunately means early start to bag suitable loungers or end up not being able to get out of the sun at times (needed as it gets very hot)
Now the first real negative ... The sun loungers have no mattress, and the web over metal bars becomes very uncomfortable ... seriously so compared to other hotels - not good.

We used either the middle pool with the swim-up bar near the all-inclusive restaurant, or the smaller free firm pool in-front of our room. Neither if these had games/activities which happen throughout the day on main front pools (which we didn't want) - could be good for families.
The only reason we did not stay at the pool by our room all the time is that sun umbrellas did not provide shade after midday the loungers could not be moved to accommodate sun direct on due to hedges ... Hotel could resolve by placing umbrella fixing holes near pool not near hedges.
Food ... we were half board as we don't drink alcohol during the day, and only need a couple of Litres of water. Majority seemed to be all-inclusive.
Breakfast .. for a 600 room hotel thought it would be queues and limited choice ... I was wrong on both. No queues .. except for having a fresh omelette made. which usually had 1 or 2 people at peak time ... loads of choice, a great range of fresh bread cooked on premises which was nice.
Bacon, various sausages, cheeses, meats, scrambled /boiled/fried eggs, .... pancakes .. fruit ... massive choice to be honest and all good quality. Even coffee brought to your table was reasonable.

Dinner - served outside in large area with overhead canopy ... plenty of fans so comfortable to eat even when hot.
Food menu changed nightly ... daily soup or anything from huge salad choice, usually with loads of fresh prawns, tuna etc., for main course - one main roast dish .. lamb, beef pork carved as you request it ... at least 6 different hot dish choices, and at least same number of veg choices ... and along with that there was always, Piazza, chips, burgers etc.
Deserts was a different selection of gateaux/cakes/trifle and a hot pudding ... as well as ice creams and fresh fruit in abundance.
In all ... loads of choice - and good quality, each night having a theme ... i.e Mexican.
Live music being played during meal.
We also ate one night in the 'Oriental' restaurant 'Troys' ... this had a limited number of choices a mixture of Indian/Chinese ....... it was OK, plenty of it ... just a bit different to normal Chinese or Indian food in flavours. Be warned you cannot eat inside (air-con) restaurant if guys have shorts on .... I don't want long trousers on holiday so like many others we ate of tables outside (but overhead cover) ...pretty hot & humid as no fans ... unlike the main dining area.

The Hotel has evening entertainment ... but while the early session is OK for kids ... the adults cabaret was very disappointing, a bit like a 2nd rate working-mens club show from the 70's.

Clientele - I am not looking for my countryman abroad, in fact the more the mix the better .. but this hotel was at least 90% Russian, as were the staff - just to make you aware of this, in fact the whole of Ayia Napa seems to have become Russian dominated since our last visit here.
Outside Hotel ...
Across the road is Nissi Beach ... it is a good beach, but can be very crowded, and although a private beach there are several sections which are stacked out with Hotel specific sun loungers, Atlantic Aeneas has none there.
Other than Nissi beach, you have quite a walk to get to Ayia Napa centre, (3.5Km) I don't mind this ... but some may not like the walk ... many hire the electric 3 wheel iGo trikes, we preferred to walk. Plenty of shops, from basic tourist tat to designer outlets, many restaurants &bars etc.,there is also a large funfair ... you can always use a Taxi to get there... but it's about €8 each way.
We hired a dune buggy for a day (from Moto Team .. about 500m up the road).. and went to Cape Greko, Protaras, Paralimni ... all easily doable in single day.

We were told by staff that hotel was much quieter than normal, as it was during the World Cup and many had stayed away to watch ... so my comments about queues & sun lounger availability may not be true for other times. They also added that at some times of the season they do as many as 3 weddings a day .. and that means sectioned off areas from the public.
However we had none of these problems.

There are other facilities at resort we did not use (squash court, sauna, indoor pool, spa).

Check-out was at 1200, we could not extend our room as early arrival of next 'tenants', but hotel provides a courtesy room for you to shower & change before your coach pick up later in the day (8pm in our case)

So in conclusion -

Pros
Great room, good food, loads of pools, free WiFi
Genuinely helpful staff
Good location for beach

Cons
Charge for room safe, no sun lounger mattress
Towels for pool a bit cheap & thin. (but free)
No fans in Troy outside dining area.
A long way out of Ayia Napa central.

Would I stay there again ... yes

Room Tip: Ground floor with swim-up pool, away form manin pool unless you have kids.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Aeneas-Team, General Manager at Atlantica Aeneas Hotel, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write such an honest and detailed review, we of course appreciate all comments that were both encouraging and enriching as your suggestions are very helpful tools that help us see from a guest's point of view and work towards creating higher outcomes with each new visiting guest.

It is pleasing to hear that your stay was not only enjoyable but has exceeded your expectations, which is what we aim for. The fact that you keep returning to Cyprus for so many years is really amazing and gives you and your family a special place in our hearts.

We would most look forward to your next visit, wishing you a pleasant summer.

Best Regards,

The Atlantica AeneasTeam
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

This was our 8th time back at this hotel & we had a fantastic time again , we love it here that's why we keep returning ! Thank you to Despina , kiariakos , spyros , violetta , Steve , & to many others to mention , you made our holiday another great one ! Food is absolutely perfect ! & so much choice , something for everyone ! You all make us feel very welcome ! The entertainment team are all very friendly & great fun ;)) thanks again for another fantastic holiday & see you all soon !

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

It is us that should be thanking you, firstly for your great reviews year after year and most importantly for your loyalty.

Our confirmation that we are succeeding in top quality service come from the satisfaction of our guests, your positive review is most appreciated.

See you again soon.
Best Regards,

The Atlantica Aeneas Team
Doncaster
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW via mobile

Me and my wedding party have just returned from a two week stay at the hotel, I'd like to start with a massive thank you to despina who organised all our catering decorations etc for our wedding, she was fantastic and so lovely, also would like to thank orla the wedding coordinator who also did a fantastic job in making sure we had everything as planned to make our wedding day so perfect,
Now to review the hotel I couldn't fault the food there was plenty of choice from fresh fish pasta, salad, meats everything oh n the deserts are to die for!
The hotel was spotless all the time always someone cleaning etc!
The entertainment was good most nights hehe, the kids seemed to like it anyway,
The pool is huge and always clean
Only one negative I've got is the room we had was a pool access room it was lovely but a little dated also most of my party were in old rooms, so I would recommend booking a refurnished room if possible , all In all a lovely hotel great staff and service, I would definitely recommend the hotel and look forward to returning xx

• Stayed June 2014
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

When we arrived at the resort to check in we were told that we had been upgraded to a room with direct pool access which was a lovely surprise. However I am not going to let that sway my review in any way.
I traveled with two family members (one being a two year old) The pool is spread throughout the resort and so is an ideal for families with young children and having the direct pool access was a dream. No need to worry about where you were going to sit that day or remembering to pack for the day like suntan lotion etc. The two year old particularly enjoyed the pirate pool with the children's slides. The staff were very friendly and helpful with only one exception. Her name was Anna and she worked in the restaurant as a manager/supervisor. I never once got a smile from her and when requesting a table she simply stuck her nose in the air and snootily marched you to a table. She was however the only bad apple. The food was good but not amazing. I have had better and worse in this type of resort. The drinks were a little disappointing and the wine served in the restaurant was truly terrible.
On the whole a pleasant resort and a enjoyable holiday.

Room Tip: If traveling with children pay the extra for a swim up room
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Been to Atlantica Aeneas Hotel? Share your experiences!