“Disappointing” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 104 hotels in Ayia Napa
Waltham Abbey, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I stayed at the Atlantica Aeneas with my Mum (who works in a school) during the October half term. I should start by saying that was not our first choice of hotel but due to changes beyond our control to our original holiday we had to change resorts and ended up here. We were looking for a 4/5* hotel and this was the only one available but as one reviewer said, it is definitely NOT 5*.

When we arrived, check-in was a bit chaotic. People and suitcases everywhere and unlike other 5* hotels we were left to drag our own suitcases off the coach and into reception. There did appear to be glasses of orange juice sat on a tray but they were not offered to us and everyone was herded to the reception desk. The actual check-in process was quick and efficient but as our room was “just over the bridge and around the corner”, we were once again left to deal with our own luggage.

It didn’t get any better at dinner the first night when there were no plates available and everybody was standing around waiting to get some food. This continued at breakfast the next morning when there were no glasses for fruit juice and no bowls for cereal although this did improve as the week went on.

The food options at dinner were also extremely limited for vegetarians like myself. To the point where I ended up with pizza, chips and salad 5 nights out of 7. A couple of times there was a vegetarian sauce for the pasta but there were no other options. The whole restaurant experience was a bit of a free for all to be honest and I‘m certainly not used to being in a 5* hotel where people come to dinner dressed in shorts and t-shirts.

The other problem with food is it appeared that unless you were on an all inclusive basis there was no option for food at lunchtime. The pool bars only served drinks meaning we had to go out every day in order to get a sandwich.

We also heard staff moaning constantly in English and swearing on occasion in front of the guests before being reprimanded by superiors.

The last night of our holiday took things to the extreme when the hotel decided for some bizarre reason to cram everybody into a tiny ballroom for dinner where we were virtually all sitting at the same table, you had to queue for food and there were even less options than usual.

Apparently, the hotel is getting refurbished and it definitely needs it. Although it looks very pretty from the outside, sadly the interior does not live up to this expectation. Our room, although very spacious, did need serious renovation but the mismatched drab furniture would not have met the standard of the exterior at any point in its history. The housekeeping also left something to be desired as the floor was not cleaned properly and all the towels were taken for cleaning every day (regardless of where we left them) but sometimes were not replaced. Perhaps they should “refurbish” the staff while they are at it.

The hotel overall is OK but nowhere near 5* quality, more like 3*. I would not recommend this hotel and will definitely not be returning in the future. If I return to Ayia Napa, it will be to the 5* Adams Beach across the road which I stayed at previously and found far superior.

876 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
STAFFS UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

We travelled here last 2 weeks of September 2012 having booked thru Thomson's. We paid extra for a superior Pool view room and ended up with a room with direct pool access right next to pool bar which was very handy for taking drinks back to the rooms !
Couldnt fault the room - very large room with settee area and loads of space for clothes etc. Flat screen TV and Tea and Coffee making facilities which were replenished every day. Small fridge ( Mini Bar) but the contents are not included on the all inclusive menu so beware because the drinks are expensive ! Water was provided on the all inclusive in your room and you can collect bottles from any bar and drinks to take back to your room which are served in plastic glasses.
The bathroom was on the small side and for a 5 star hotel I felt it lacked space and needed upgrading although it was perfectly functional the bath itself had the shower over but there was a soap dispenser on the wall which was just shoulder height on me so whilst trying to shower you kept banging your shoulder on it . If the hotel manager is reading this - have the soap dispensers moved to the end wall next to the shower !
Also Air conditioning is terrible- I would dread staying here in July/ August the rooms would be unbearably hot ! Mine was checked twice and and I could have blown cooler air myself.

All the rooms on the ground floor have their own sunbeds on the balcony so you dont have to move very far to sunbathe - the main pool is large, deep and excellent if you like training swims - the sunbed areas tho are restricted to 'single' file beds and the tiled areas very narrow so you feel a bit claustrophobic surropunded at close proximity by other guests. I would prefer the pool surroundings to be tiled more extensively so you do have more space rather than gardens and lawns which restrict your moving your beds around.
Food - absolutely superb - No-one can fault the choice on offer from fresh raspberries with yoghurt, full English breakfasts to Carvery, Pastas Cypriot food and Fish, Meat, Salads, Pizzas, Breads delicious Desserts and fresh cream, Cheeses etc etc I could go on ! Twice a week Champagne and smoked Salmon for breakfast - Superb.
Drinks Service on the other hand leaves a lot to be desired. The notion of one waitress seating you, one taking your drinks order then someone else bringing it to you is not only painstakingingly slow but very annoying. We ended up ordering 2 drinks each when the drinks waiter finally arrived and often we had finished our starter before the waiter had even taken the order. This needs sorting out.

The main restaurant seating area outdoors does have a smoking area so if you prefer a non smoking area tell the waitress. As many have said Spyros the 'Maitre D' is a joy to see in action - just a shame the hotel manager was not as interested in meeting his residents. We did not meet him or see him once in spite fo the nightly Cocktails, canapes, Wine tasting events in the main reception which were very well attended.
Drinks - exceptional - cannot fault them - we upgraded to all inclusive and saved a fortune- the local drinks were quite palatable and I lived on Kir Royals, Champagne and Brandy for 2 weeks ! Brilliant ! If there was something you wanted that wasnt on the list but was available in a local spirit just ask the bar staff and they will find it for you !
Taxi from here to Ayia Napa about 8 euros Bus 1 euro.
Nissi beach - 2 minutes walk - Macronissos really need a car or taxi too far to walk.
Leather shop towards ayia napa on nissi ave still sells all copy designer handbags etc very good value-
Designer shops near Macdonalds very good value in sale season -
Go to Karousos restaurant in the harbour for authentic Cypriot food - use voucher in your welcome pack from hotel and get 10% off.
Large Supermarket in the harbour- spirits that are £14 -£18 in the UK eg Sambuca etc all original brands plus liquers are 6 euros - Bargain !

Loads of wedding at the hotel but have to say after my own daughter's wedding at Sungarden last year, the wedding venue is not the best - I seriously would pick a different hotel if you are marrying in the hotel.The reception area is just in a room off the swimming pools and there is little atmosphere.
The wedding gazebo is situated between the room blocks so does not have a view of any kind.(Other than the back of the rooms !) Atlantica Sungarden you overlook the sea and Grecian Bay - much nicer and service there was much better than at this hotel and it was a 4 star! Plus the hotel manager actually bothered to meet his guests!

Entertainment team worked hard but for us it was too noisy - and we just wanted peace and quiet - in fact moved to a different pool on a couple of days for this reason and went to the beach.
Pool towels are changed every day in the gym area in the main hotel block. You can also get snacks here all day if you dont want to go in the main restaurant.
This also doubles up as the a la carte at night. We ate here once but to be honest - we preferred the main restaurant. It was very quiet and no atmosphere.

The hotel reception itself does not seem to have changed its decor since it was first built when we went in the late 1980's- this makes the hotel look quite old fashioned - we understood the rumour to be that it is being updated soon - we hope that it doesnt change the long standing staff along with the decor !

The pool bar is open till midnight so you have to go indoors to get a drink after this time in the main bar .
One thing to take note- dont bother taking high heels - as there are bridges almost everywhere in the hotel to get from rooms to main areas, they are impossible to walk in due to the slopes and I spent most nights clinging to hand rails after my many glasses of champagne - not a pretty sight according to my husband who had to help me !!!! Take flat shoes !!!

We went to chill for 2 weeks R & R - Food great , drinks great, weather was fab-
No views (which we knew in advance) room lovely - for what we paid it was good value as we upgraded on the Thomson upgrade for a 1p a day !!! So for 28 p changed from half board to all inclusive ! Would we return ? Yes we probably would, but not for a main holiday - just for a short break.
Any questions please email me .
Thanks
Spryos, and Main bar staff, George, Food and Drinks Manager and Executive Chef - SUPERB !!!!!!
They spent time asking the holiday makers about the food, the hotel and if there were any problems.

Room Tip: Book a superior room
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Redcar, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Just returned yesterday from the Atlantica. Stayed 1 week in 2 rooms with my wife and 3 children (19, 16 and 8 yrs). Was worried when I read the latest reports on here but the poor ones were very harsh. The hotel shuts on the 19th Nov for refurbishment for 2 months; I don't know what they are going to refurbish as we all thought the hotel was spot on. I did ask and even the guy on reception was unclear and said maybe this, maybe that.
Weather wise it was around the high 20's every day but some days were quite cloudy and overcast which of course is Mother Nature and not Thomsons doing. All staff are friendly from the pool guy right thru to management. Nothing is too much trouble and I did not hear of any complaints or whinges while there. If I was to be critical it would be of my own indecisiveness as I simply could not decide what to eat. The food is brilliant with great choice and selection which must be able to suit everyones taste in someway; if someone complains about food here then they are way too picky to be going on all inclusive packages with tour operators.
The pools are not heated which is the case in most resorts and the lower autumn temperatures meant that it was a little chilly getting in. I believe there are 5 or 6 bars which serve from 10.00am in most cases. We never used all of them, but the swim up one with the submerged garden chairs was a favourite of ours as it was just so nice whiling an hour away with sun beating down and a cold beer at hand. The waitress often pulled refills without asking when she saw you were nearly finished.
We have never returned to a hotel for a second holiday as we prefer to try new experiences elsewhere but we are talking about going back to Atlantica as we enjoyed it so much. This was our first trip to Cyprus also but will not be our last for sure.
If I were to offer criticism it would be for the Thomson's flights as they had that easy jet/ryanair feel to them. I'm probably being a little snobbish here but I like to be served a meal at my seat and have a drink (dont care if I have to preorder the meal). We were in row 8 and 9 last night and they had run out of a few of the microwave options by the time we were offered service (chips being one of them). Still managed to spend £65 on food though.
The only other whinge is nothing to do with the hotel or Thomsons but it regards one of the "restaurants" at Newcastle airport called "real food" in departures, the name is a total contradiction to what it actually serves; very expensive for mass produced stooge! rant over.
Atlantica Aeneas is 5* and we recommend it without reserve; go and enjoy.

Room Tip: If you can afford the upgrade, the executive swim up rooms are good but I would opt for the ones loc...
cornwall
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

Have returned after 1 week with my husband and 14 year old son. We were upgraded on our room to a 1 bedroom suite with 2 bathrooms, a jacuzzi bath and 2 balconies which was amazing. Fantastic pool area and no problems with getting sunbeds. The food was the best we've had on holiday with loads of choice - we chose all inclusive. Weather was hot but bearable. The resort of ayia napa does get very quiet this time of year so not a lot going on outside the hotel but the beach is only a 5 min walk across the road and there are some bars there.
Just 3 grumbles:
Not a very good choice on children's cocktails.
There was a wedding in the hotel on the Saturday night and we were shoved downstairs for the evening meal where there were long queues so didn't eat much that night, we were told that this is quite a frequent event as the locals pay a lot of money to the hotel. If we had known would of eaten out that night. There were a lot of complaints.
Booked a late room when originally booked hotel but our key card didn't work on our last day and got locked out so complained to reception who put it right, we were not the only ones.
Even with those things would definitely go back again and highly recommend the hotel.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012 via mobile

stayed here for a wedding and used the hairdressers for wedding hair 'CONSOLOU' lady called androula was very helpful and extremely good rates for her hairstyles,highly recommend.was very pleased with the helpfulness of the staff and will definitely be returning to this hotel

• Stayed October 2012
North Yorkshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Having had a 5 Star holiday at the Atlantica Imperial in Rhodes in July this year, we thought that the Atlantica Aeneas would be as good.
Unfortunately this was not the case, and we would rate Aeneas as only a 3 Star in comparison.
I will list the good and not so good aspects of the Aeneas as follows:-
Reception/Check In:- Efficient, but no cold towels or sparkling wine on arrival, and no personal escort to your room.
Room:- Ground floor with pool view (Room 635) was very good, a renovated room with very comfortable beds, ample wardrobe space and a clean and modern bathroom.
Meals:- Now this was the biggest gripe. The food itself was very good, but getting to it and back to your table was something else. If you can imagine yourself in Tescos on Xmas Eve you have the picture. Very disorganised here i'm afraid.
Pool Area:- Well laid out, but not the cleanest pool i have ever swam in, Broken tiles and dirty edges in all areas. Needs a major overhaul.
Entertainment:- Evening entertainment for children was fine, but the rest was abysmal. Very poor acts and some too embarrassing to watch.
Bars:- The Cocktail Bar was ok but very dimly lit, which gave the impression that it was old and wanted a complete revamp. The outside bars were ok apart from having to drink out of plastic glasses which is not 5 Star service. I can understand it to a certain extent with children running around and not wanting broken glass around.
Staff:- Staff in general were good, but I got the feeling that they had the end of season blues.
To sum up, we were very disappointed with the Hotel in general and would NOT return. We have have rebooked the Atlantica Imperial in Rhodes which is a real 5 Star experience.
This is a true and honest review from 2 down to earth people.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Kharkiv, Ukraine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Just returned from one week vacation. Very good hotel, I would definitely recommend. Hotel design is impressive, especially a pool. Food is very tasty and various. Soup and sauces are delicious. Hotel staff are very friendly.
Could not say anything about entertainment, we were with 1.4 year son, so go to bad earlier :). But they have a special room where you could leave your child for a while (child has to be at least 4 years old).
New children pool is also very good, even if our son is too small to use it.
Room - good, but we are not very demanding guest :).

Room Tip: if you choose pool view, it make sense to ask it on a first floor.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Atlantica Aeneas Hotel? Share your experiences!