“Tasty food, functional service” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations, Delivery
Dining options: Reservations, Delivery
London
“Tasty food, functional service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

First challenge was finding the restaurant. Don't trust the Google listing or the address given on the Sushi Yama website as both will send you over 2 miles from where the restaurant actually is. The website lists the road as Estrada das Pereiras - but in fact the restaurant is right opposite Restaurant Aquarelle which is on Estrada das Escanxinas (just near Apolonia supermarket).

We went on a Thursday evening and it was pretty quiet. The service was not particularly friendly - we didn't warm to the staff at all and they made little effort to welcome us warmly. But the service wasn't bad - we were served quickly and we got everything we asked for.

The food was good, although the cuts of suchi on the €20 platter were particularly thin and disappointing. But the rolls was very tasty.

Overall, it is a decent Japanese restaurant but nothing out of the ordinary.

• 4 of 5 stars Food

Almancil, Portugal
“Good food, very bad service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

Sushi yama has got great food (bit too expensive if you are not ordering sushi), but the service was really slow & they were not paying. First drinks came after 25 minutes, sushi came at the same time. They cleaned halve of a table & asked for your dessert. Pay the bill & see you later, nobody who is saying goodbye or see you next me. You won't see me there anymore,.. maybe a delivery perhapse?

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
London
“Best sushi around”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We've been coming to Sushi Yama for a few years now, once a year, during our breaks in Almancil and it never disappoints. Lets get something straight, this is not sushi on a par with your top-end sushi restraints you'd find in London, New York or LA but it's damn good and very decent value for money. We always go for lunch on a weekday and whilst not rammed its always reasonably busy. Two sushi chefs expertly create all manner of rolls, nigiri etc, which is served on a platter, shaped like a hull of a boat.

Whilst I admit it cheesy, it never fails to makes me smile to see a fairly large boat of lovely sushi brought to our table. As I said before, we've been a many times and well go again.

PS. They have a small outpost at the deli counter of Apolonia supermarket where they'll make up,your order to take away, whilst you do your shopping.

P.P.S. look out for fat white "tablets" on your table when you arrive...they transform magically when you pour water on them...

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Faro, Portugal
“Buffet experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

I´ve been to this restaurant for several times. Food is alwais quite good. Knowing that thay have a buffet on Tuesday and Wednesday dinner we dicided to give it try. Well.. the restaurant was full.. It must be more difficult for them to provide better servise, but it is no axcuse, after all.
Waiters didn´t have even resemblance of the smile on there facies. Food came quite quickly, but they confused some of our orderes. Naturally, suchi were not that excellent.
I don´t think the buffet is good value for the money.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Quinta do Lago, Portugal
“Worst Experience of my Life”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

I have just returned from the worst meal of my life!
I have never been so utterly appauled at such a lack of service before and can only describe tthe staff as arrogent, rude and incompent. Very attentive to the "locals" not knowing that I speak the language fluently!
We waited over 20 minutes for a menu and a further 20 minutes for our water, in a room close to 30 degrees! a further 40 minutes for sangria and very average sushi to arrive.
Once finished we asked be be seated downstairs/outside so we could hear the DJ/Violinist and get some fresh air.
We were given a bench next to the toilets then moved to a sofa outside. The table had just been vacated and for the rest of the duration of our painful stay no one cleared away the table from the previous guests! Perhaps I am picky but I dont like looking at other peoples used soy sauce dishes, chopsticks and dirty npkins!!!!
It took 40 minutes and 3 reminders to get the bill and when it finally arrived a fuss was made about dividing it onto two cards!
I will NEVER eat here again, and as a sushi lover living in Almancil this really is a shame!

Visited August 2013