“A hotel we always want to go back to” 4 of 5 stars

Dona Filipa Hotel
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Vale do Lobo, Almancil 8135-034, Portugal   |
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Almancil
Wakefield
“A hotel we always want to go back to”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

We have been visiting the Dona Filipa for some 20 years and although there has been a major refurbishment taking place the staff have always been so welcoming and caring and the quality of the food in the breakfast buffet and the grill in keeping with the five star standard. Our recent trip was slightly spoilt by the noise from the work taking place particularly during the afternoon when we like to have a rest but the public areas are complete and I am not sure I like the colours of the furnishings and decor I liked the traditional Portugese style but realise that things do have to change. When we return to the Algarve it will always be our choice of hotel because its location is perfect and with its own beach area a plus for guests wanting to be close to the sea.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the sea and, once the refurbishment is completed overlooking the golf course.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Ringwood, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

We booked to stay at this Hotel towards the end of 2013. We were aware that renovations and updates were being carried out. Before we were due to go on the holiday I emailed the hotel to make sure we would be put in a room well away from the ongoing works. Our room was tired and definitely in need of the refurbishment and although we had been assured we would be well away from the refurbishment works, our room overlooked the wing which was in the process of updating. Therefore we experienced drilling and knocking and not an inviting outlook from the balcony. The reception staff are certainly not pleasant and friendly and when we needed help on a medical issue they did not want to be involved. All in all this hotel, at the time we stayed, was by no means a 5-star. Needless to say we will not be booking to stay here again even when the refurbishment is complete.

Room Tip: A room overlooking the pool area and out to sea.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Christchurch, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

We had another a fantastic week at the hotel. What makes the stay good is the excellent service from everyone from the pool bar to restaurant to reception. I have to disagree with some previous reviewers regarding service. The hotel is being refurbished and the communal areas are now finished. Some golf view rooms are currently being refurbished and I think it will be some months before they are ready. However, the rooms that have not been refurbished are Portugese style and have character and I suspect the new rooms will be sleek and elegant with no character and you could be anywhere! Buffet breakfast excellent. We will definitely return for a relaxing time in this hotel. The hotel provisions on the beach good and good service regarding drinks here too.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

Have been a regular visitor to Vale do Lobo and the Dona Filipa hotel for the last 14 years. The place is like a scene from a carry on movie at the moment.

The hotel is currently being refurbished but rather than close for the low season to complete works they decided to stay open and do it bit by bit. We booked back at the start of the year and were assured it would be completed by March. Later we were contacted to say it would not be completed by the end of July. In reception they are telling people August but looking around there is no way it will be done by the end of 2014. The solution as far as management is concerned was to put us in the old rooms (still charging high season rates) and credit the difference towards our final bills.

The old rooms have been let go and are very tired looking with broken showers and lights etc. There is constant hammering / sawing / drilling and banging all day and we have had power go out on occasion as the electrics get worked on.

The hotel staff in the pool area and in the restaurant are so friendly and nice despite the complaints that they are dealing with. They are a credit to the local people and the hotel however the staff in reception are extremely rude and very unhelpful and unfriendly.

I really would have expected better but it is clear that the place is now being run along the lines of Fawlty Towers.

Vale do Lobo itself is still a beautiful resort but I have noticed a few changes this time. A "party" boat parked 100m off the beach opposite the hotel all of one afternoon with about 100 teenagers playing drinking games with a DJ blaring out lout music disturbing all and sundry. That night as I walked with my family down among the family restaurants we saw drugs being passed to a number of teenagers. There are police/security around but either they did not or choose not to see this. It is the first time I have seen something like this in Vale do Lobo and it is a great shame if they let the are become more like some of the Spanish resorts that quickly became all about drugs and booze.

If you are booked to visit the hotel in 2014 I would call to check on the "refurb" progress. Take it from me sitting here with drilling / hammering all afternoon it is not what I wanted to spend my hard earned money on to relax with my family.

Unless they can sort out this mess and take the front desk staff out for retraining in customer support I think I will be giving one of the other hotels in the area our future business. Very disappointing.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a golf view, I have been in rooms that have a sea view but also look out over...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
JJW_Hotels_Portugal, General Manager at Dona Filipa Hotel, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Dear Ab N,

We would to thank you for the time taken to review our Hotel. Thoroughly analyzing your review and points, I have found it fundamental to respond to some you have focused.

Firstly, it is with great pleasure that I would like to inform you that we started inaugurating new rooms on Monday, 4th August, and that reassure you that the East wing will be fully operational soon.

Regarding your comments on lodging guests in old rooms; as you are aware, due to the delay, we individually contacted all guests with the information and gave guests various options and solutions regarding their future stay. As far as the old rooms, our Maintenance Department are still upholding these rooms and when reported our staff duly service every room.

I have personally passed your pleasant remarks made on the restaurant and swimming pool staff, and this thoroughly pleases me, as our staff is without a doubt one of our main assets. On the other hand, the reception staff seemed to have let you down, and taking your concerns as positive criticism I have taken this up with the Head of Department and our Human Resources to look into this, and possibly schedule a refresh customer service training.

Your observations concerning Vale do Lobo are quite disturbing as well as very serious statements. As you may agree, stating that the Resort has become a point of sale for illegal substances is quite a serious accusation, and not being responsible or having any jurisdiction in the Resort, we rather not comment. Although we are quite certain that, in the event of any illegal activity, the local authority would action upon it.

As stated above, and in the event of any refurbishment project such as the one Dona Filipa Hotel is undergoing, time-frames and plans are sometimes delayed, but we are doing our utmost best to deliver the quality service our loyal guests, such as yourself have become accustomed too. We therefore, trust and hope that you will take your last stay as an exception, and being a guest for the last fourteen years, know that this was an isolated case.

Sincerely looking forward to welcoming you again at Dona Filipa Hotel, and having pondered, valued and actioned upon your review to better improve our services.

With kindest regards,
Devon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

Have been visiting the Dona Filipa for several years now. Just had another fantastic stay, hotel is gradually being refurbished and we have stayed through these works and not been bothered by it at all. The reception and bar area is now complete and to a great standard.
The staff are always friendly and in my opinion that is an important part of a holiday.
We have been lucky enough to have travelled and stayed in many hotels but this has got to be one of the best.
If you are going for golf, you can get some great packages to include San Lorenzo..
If you are going to the Algarve don't look any further.

Can't wait to go back in September.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
bucks,england
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

I do not play golf but chose this hotel for a short break because of its proximity to both the airport (E30 taxi ride) and excellent beach (sunbeds and umbrellas free to hotel guests). I hadn't been to Vale do Lobo for 15 years but found it pretty much as I remembered it, albeit there are more restaurants to chose from for dinner then before! The hotel is going through a major refurbishment programme, so all the (51) sea view rooms are currently unavailable. We had a traditional twin room with a view of the golf course and although the decor is somewhat elderly, I have to say that everything worked; in fact I do hope when the rooms are updated that they don't take away some of the better features e.g the separate loo/bidet and the lovely traditional tiled floors.The breakfast buffet is as good as I've eaten anywhere; the lunchtime snacks very appealing and the Fisherman's Buffet which they offer twice a week (E49.50) a great celebration of seafood (although I would have liked to see the inclusion of some oysters).

I'll definitely be hoping to go back in the next 12 months.

Room Tip: With all the bedrooms going through a refurb, check with the hotel (by telephone if possible) that y...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

We have stayed here many times and the hotel was certainly looking better. Location and golf were fantastic. Two minor faults for me: we found the elderly barman in main bar quite rude and I asked for the channel in the sports lounge area to be changed to Wimbledon tennis (there was never anyone in this room) but it was not possible???? Overall still a very enjoyable place to stay and I will be back. Found it strange they have no hairdresser there!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Dona Filipa Hotel? Share your experiences!