“Fairly basic” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Asker
Bergen, Norway
“Fairly basic”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

First of all, I agree with Colin, a young man in the recepiton clearly is not happy with his job and is rude and short when answering questions from guests. Rest of the staff, specially the girls are very friendly.

I've been staying at Scandic Asker from time to time on business, and choose it for the location close to the center, eventhough better hotel options are around. The rooms are ok, however always out of hot water in the shower in the evenings, I guess a tip would be to take your shower in the mornings...? The gym is ok, brekfast runs out of food fairly early during the summer when the tourists are all over the buffet.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Lisa Marielle S, Manager at Scandic Asker, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for posting your feedback on Tripadvisor!

Please accept our apology for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay this summer.
We will use your feedback regarding the service, hot water in the shower and our breakfast standards during the summer for improvement to avoid this in the future.

We hope to see you soon again as our guest - a warm welcome back!
I wish you a sunny and wonderful fall :)

Kind Regards,
Lisa Marielle Singsaas Sanner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Polish first
Kristiansand, Vest-Agder, Norway
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

The hotel was easy to find and check in is simple with a smiling and helpful staff. The lobby is roomy and easy to navigate. What surprised me was the complete lack of offerings for my membership benefits as a top floor member.

The room (junior suite) was not prepared with an extra bed for our daughter as specified in the booking request so we had to request it form the staff. No minibar or food/candy in the room so we had to visit the lobby when the selections was very poor. On the bathtub I found a razor which I can only guess belonged to the previous guest and why hasn't it been removed before we checked in? Has the room been cleaned after the previous guest?

The beds were comfortable and that saved this stay from becoming a disappointment, but regardless I expect higher standard that this from a Scandic hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Lisa Marielle S, Manager at Scandic Asker, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking time posting your review on TripAdvisor.
We appreciate your feedback after your stay, and we will use this for improvement.
We are very sorry to hear about the experience with the cleaning, the misunderstanding with the extra bed and of course your membership benefits.
We do understand your your disappointment, and this should not happen.
Please accept our apology for the lack of service you experienced.

Scandic no longer offer drinks & snacks from the minibar in our rooms.
In our SHOP close to the Front Desk our guests can buy beverages and fresh food every day. Here you can collect items, bring them up to your room and keep it in our minibars.
Once again, thank you for taking your time giving us this feedback.
We hope to see you again-welcome back and have a nice summer!

Scandic Asker
Cheadle, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

The hotel is a mix of Business/Tourist. Rooms in the new block are nice but typical Norway, BBC World only for non-Scandinavians!

Restaurant is basic, good food, but again Norway and very expensive. Beer at 99 Krone for 600ml !!

Breakfast time, full of Japanese tourists, at 07:15 run out of Orange Juice, and most of the hot food!

Staff very nice, but there are better places nearby!!

Room Tip: Look at other options first. Rooms very quiet, room temperature settings very good via TV.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Lisa Marielle S, Manager at Scandic Asker, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking time to write this review.

We are so sorry to hear that your latest stay was disappointing during the breakfast.
We understand that you were looking forward to our full breakfast buffet.
It is unfortunate to hear that we ran out of food, this should of course not happen-even if many guests eat at the same time.

It is great to hear that you are satisfied with our rooms in the new building, service and quality of food in the restaurant during the evening.
We want all our guests to have a good experience when visiting us, so thank you for giving us this feedback!

We sincerely hope that we will get the pleasure to see you as our guest again.
Welcome back to Scandic Asker and have a wonderful day:)

Ballinakilla
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

First of all I would like to say that all the staff were extremely friendly and accommodating, except for one young man on reception who is obviously in the wrong job. You will soon recognise him.
My main gripe is that my points weren't,t added to my account, my wife was coming over and I wanted to use the points I had accrued to pay for her hotel stay in Bergen and Tromso, Unfortunatley I couldn't,t do this and had to pay for her stays at these towns.

I was supposed to be issued vouchers each week, and these were not given to me until three days before I left, also I was on a corporate rate which was pretty high, and they did not reduce it to a weekend rate when there are no restaurant facilities available from Friday to Sunday night, and quite often they decide not to open the restaurant on the other days. This the rip off!!
The sound insulation between rooms is awful the first,room I stayed in I could hear every sound from the adjoining room. I asked to be moved and the next room I had was better but by no means perfect

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Lisa Marielle S, Manager at Scandic Asker, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Dear Colin,

Thank you for your feedback and posting this tripadvisor review .
First of all, I am terribly sorry that we did not meet your expectations during your stay. We want all our guests to have a good experience when they stay at Scandic Asker.
I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with the service from one our team members. Every guest should be welcomed with a big smile and we want all our guests to feel like home.
I am pleased to hear that you found the rest of our team friendly and service minded.
Unfortunately the restaurant is closed every weekend and was also closed several days in May due to public holidays. I am sorry that you did not get this information. The Front Desk team is happy to help you with recommendations in Asker city. Did you know that you can order pizza from Dolly Dimples to your room every day? When our restaurant is closed, Scandic Friends can use their vouchers for food & drinks in the SHOP/bar.
I understand your frustration with your vouchers and points. I want to apologize for the inconvenience this caused you during your stay, and I want to give you and your wife a compensation for this matter. Please contact me directly at lisa.sanner@scandichotels,com for further conversation.
Again, I am sorry that you had a bad experience at our hotel, but I really hope to see you again.
The Front Desk will help you to find a better room next time, with a view facing the garden.
Welcome back and have a nice day!

Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

I stayed at the SCANDIC ASKER Hotel in May 2013. Rooms are comfy and clean, though basic. What is really outstanding is the customer service. LISA at the reception desk, was extremely friendly and helpful. Good breakfast

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Lisa Marielle S, Manager at Scandic Asker, responded to this review, May 11, 2013
Dear Alex,
Thank you for posting this warm review after your stay at Scandic Asker!
I`m very happy to hear that you enjoyed our breakfast, rooms and service.
I also want to say THANK YOU for your kind words-I really appreciate it :)
The spring & summer in Asker/Oslo is fantastic, so hopefully we will see you soon again!
A warm welcome back and have a nice weekend!

PS: I hope your interview went well :)

Sandnes
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Arrived on a sunday evening around 8 pm. No food could be purchased whatsoever at the hotel.
However, I could order a pizza from a nearby shop (phone charge applies). I tried to buy a glass/bottle of red to go with the pizza, but they had run out. Their superior room was basic with poor ventilation, and from 3.30 am I kept waking up due to traffic noise and noise from surrounding rooms (isolation issue?). Staff was reluctant to assume any responsibility, which made the entire stay a bit annoying. In the 200 Euro/night region, I really expected something better. Breakfast was decent, though.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Lisa Marielle S, Manager at Scandic Asker, responded to this review, April 28, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time posting this review after your stay at Scandic Asker.

We are very sorry to hear that there was no food in the hotel this Sunday evening.
Our restaurant is closed every weekend, but we do have a Scandic Shop where you should be able to buy sandwiches, salads and wraps. We apologize if there were no food left in the Shop this evening, and we will follow up on this to avoid the same situation in the future. We agree with you and are sorry that there was no redwine left at the Front Desk either. This should of course not happen, and in the future we will make sure that the wine is supplied before the restaurant team end their shift.
We are also sorry to hear about the noise from the traffic. This is a new building from 2009 and there is no noise if the window is closed. We have not heard about noise from surrounding rooms and have to look into this further.
We are happy to hear that you liked our breakfast!
We hope to see you back at Scandic Asker to prove that we can do better.
We would like to invite you for a new free night, so please contact me directly at lisa.sanner@scandichotels.com.
Thank you, and I look forward to hear from you!

Asker, Norway
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

As a top froor customer I should have a surprise when arriving.- No surprise
Staff know that I want a tub - no tub
Room was not properly cleaned - Used glasses
Milk on breakfast was not fresh. - or mosty days missing
Poor internet coverage.

All this in one stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Lisa Marielle S, Front Office Manager at Scandic Asker, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback after your stay.
We are very sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations this time.
We want all our guests to have a good experience when staying at Scandic Asker.
Hope to see you soon again, a warm welcome back to us!

Assistant Front Office Manager

Been to Scandic Asker? Share your experiences!