“Awesome local food!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Miami Beach, Florida
“Awesome local food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

You walk up to Piazzaga and the Crotto there is absolutelly amazing. The food is all hand crafted and they take pride in every dish they make. They are very knowledgeable about the food in the region and keep the food at the restaurant as traditional as possible. The views are not to be believed either!!

• Visited June 2012

Ventura, California, United States
“I loved this restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

Fair warning: It is a bit of a hike to get to Piazzaga. Up the main road (a steep, cobbled road that should really only be taken with a four-wheel drive vehicle) it is around 6km. If your'e walking, park in Torno and ask a local how to find the Mulattiera to Piazzaga which is a long stairway that takes a more direct route to the village. Neither way could be considered easy, however. As I was told when I was coming here: "Wear good shoes and bring water." The area is gorgeous and the vistas of the lake are spectacular. I assure you, the restaurant and the beauty of the area are worth the hike, even if you're not normally a hiker.

The restaurant itself is a cute little place consisting of a small dining room, a patio overlooking the lake and mountains, a bar and a small kitchen. The staff is friendly and Alex is the self-described best chef in Piazzaga. I fully agree.

I enjoyed the rustic decor of the restaurant and while the patio has only patio furniture, it is worth having a nice meal out there on a nice day for the view. Sadly there are a couple of poorly placed trees in a lot below that prevent a perfect view of the lake, but that can hardly be helped.

As to food, I was there for lunch. I started with Canederli which, as an American, I had never had the privilege of trying before. Thus, I cannot compare it to anyone else's. I can, however, say that it was fantastic in flavor and presentation.

For my main course I had Roast Rabbit and Polenta. All that was left on the dish when I finished was some rabbit bones. I'll let that speak for itself.

For dessert I had cake, made that morning at the restaurant, and espresso. The cake was more a combination of what we would call a tart and a cake in the US, so it was a bit different than what I expected but it was very good.

All-in-all I have to say my experience here was fantastic. If you are in the Como area, it is worth a bit of a drive and hike to get up here and give it a try.

• Visited May 2012
London
“Wow, the highlight of our trip!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2011

We spent 4 nights in Italy and our afternoon in Piazzaga was the highlight! First off, the walk from Torno to Piazzaga was a real treat, a rugged challenging path leads you to Piazzaga. The views on the way were truly amazing but even better when we arrived to the restaurant! We were about 15 minutes late for our lunch reservation but were greeted with very warm welcoming smiles. The sun was shining so we ate on the patio with stunning views of the mountains and lake. Out of our group of 4, there were 2 vegetarians and 1 vegan and they were very accommodating (I had called in advance but imagine they would of offered the same great service without the notice). The food was very tasty, delicious wine and coffee, home made liqueur and to top it all off the scenic views and warm hospitality made for an amazing afternoon I'll remember for years to come. The owners clearly love what they do and where they live and it makes for an excellent restaurant. We walked back a different way through Montepiatto - truly amazing scenery! Should we ever in the area again we'll definitely visit Crotto Piazzaga again! It really was the highlight of our break!

• Visited October 2011
UK
“Amazing food,amazing value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2011 via mobile

On a walk from Torno to Montepiatto and Piazzaga ( a great if arduous walk by the way) we stumbled upon the Crotto Piazzaga and had an impromptu lunch.
What a find this was! The views over the lake complement the wonderful home-made menu and the 4 of us had wine, antipasti, Pizzoccheri , desserts, coffee and home made liqueurs . At a total cost of 68 euros, this was by far the best value we had had in Italy.

New York City, New York
“A welcoming dinner table”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

My experience at Crotto Piazzaga was so good, it almost eclipses the food! First of all, the trip to this beautiful, idyllic mountain village is a valuable experience, and the classical northern italian cuisine (with a individualized, modernist flair) tops the whole thing off. Surrounded by ancient stones, roman paths, centuries-old churches and castles, with unbeatable views of Lake Como and the area, Crotto Piazzaga seems straight out of a fairy tale.

The foods I enjoyed there included an antipasta of HOME MADE salami and prosciutto with various aged cheese, spaghetti with pesto, and a deliciously tender chicken cooked in white wine. Crotto Piazzaga's selection of wines home-made liquors was equally tantalizing, and it was all served with a friendly cheer that made me want to spend a week there. The friendly atmosphere of the restaurant, with its flow of neighbors, hikers, and summer residents, was the perfect spice set anyone's appetite at ease.

• Visited August 2011