We stayed at La Locanda del Castello from October 8th through the 11th. It is a lovely hotel, small with only 8 rooms, ideally situated in the Val d’Orcia for access to the Tuscan wine country. Daniela the manager was so helpful in the weeks leading up to our visit and when there she set us up for a productive visit to the area. She provided maps, brochures and tips that really enhanced our stay. Massimo the owner was also extremely friendly and helpful.
I only wish I could recommend this hotel with no reservations and would even have wanted to go back again someday. But I cannot.
While the room does have a safe, I had removed one of our passports from the safe and placed it in my bag prior to going to breakfast thinking I would need it during that day for a purchase being shipped overseas. The safe was locked; everything of value except the passport was in there.
We came back up to our room from breakfast and the passport was GONE. We completely tore the room up to no avail -- it was gone. We went out to "enjoy" our day and came back to search again in the evening. We then decided to ask the hotel (actually the American restaurant hostess as the hotel had no one on staff in the evening) to call the police but were told it would be impossible to get them there in a "non-emergency" at that time (around 7PM).
It was our mistake to not implore that the hotel get the police involved, but we were more concerned with getting to Florence to the consulate early the next morning to get a new passport, than to wait around for the police that would not really do anything for us.
We did find out that there were staff members staying in the hotel rooms, which we found unusual but we can only think that it would have been one of them while we were 2 floors below at breakfast.
Daniela and two of the restaurant wait-staff were very empathetic and frankly bewildered that such a thing could happen at their hotel, but that didn’t bring back the passport.
If you do choose to stay here, just use the safe at all times, don’t trust anything in your room to be there if you don’t.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Looking for a Hotel and a Restaurant in the heart of Tuscany south of Siena, in the middle of the three renowned wine districts of Chianti, Montalcino and Montepulciano, and set inside the unique and unspoiled landscapes of the Crete Senese and Val d’ Orica ? LA LOCANDA DEL CASTELLO is the answer. Is a XVI century building which has been recently restored into a small hotel in the ancient and peaceful hamlet of San Giovanni d’ Asso, celebrated for its famous white truffles. Just outside the village there is the wonderful garden “Bosco Della Ragnaia” created by the American artist Sheppard Craig. The territory is rich of history, with many hamlets, castles and abbeys to discover; rich for its natural hot springs with the chance of relaxing yourself in spas and spoiling yourself with massages and beauty treatments.Moreover if your Clients likes to do sports while on holiday, there is the chance of going horse riding, trekking, biking or have the wonderful experience of admiring the area from above on a hot air balloon.Not to forget the gastronomy experience this territory is able to offer: the Clients may visit some of the many wineries of the region and taste it’s famous wines, in addition to the other main products of the area such as olive oil, cheese and truffle; and if they are willing to know more about the Tuscan food they may choose to take cooking classes in order to be able to remember the flavors of our region once back home.The Hotel LA LOCANDA DEL CASTELLO offers 9 rooms all finely restored and divided in the following room categories (3 standard, 3 Superior and 3 Suites). All the bedrooms are provided with a matrimonial bed and a bathroom with shower and hairdryer, a/c, satellite TV, telephone, mini-bar, safekeeping box and free wi-fi internet connection. The suites have an extra sitting area for relaxing.The restaurant LA LOCANDA DEL CASTELLO is located on the ground floor of the building, which once housed an olive press. It offers its guests the genuine flavors of traditional Tuscan cooking. Amongst its delicious specialties are the local white and black truffle (we also organize special truffle hunting), pecorino cheese, Senese salami, honey and saffron, with a selection of the most well-known Tuscan wines. In the warmer weather, one can eat outside in the small hamlet square enjoying the atmosphere of the old village, or alternately in the comfort and shade of the back terrace.Please do not hesitate to contact us for any further information you might need. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, Agoda, Travelocity, TripOnline SA and Odigeo so you can book your La Locanda del Castello reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- La Locanda Del Castello Hotel San Giovanni d`Asso
- La Locanda Del Castello Italy/San Giovanni D'Asso, Tuscany