“Quite an experience!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
San Francisco, California
“Quite an experience!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

The setting is unique--rather like an ancient Roman cave, but warmly appointed. The meal (I had the tasting menu) was certainly among the best I've ever had. A splurge, yes, but worth every penny! Although a solo diner, I was treated quite attentatively, quite well.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

92% Recommend
Markham, Canada
“Fine Dining in Bevagna”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

Sometimes the whole point of dining out is for the experience, not the food, however this restaurant delivers on both counts. The setting is magical, where one is in the vestibule of an ancient Roman theatre or colosseum of sorts. The atmosphere is elegant and has the old world charm or impeccable service. From the moment we were welcomed by the maître d', we were treated to the best restaurant service we experienced during our whole 10 days in Italy. We chose the set menu or "tasting menu" which included a starter, a pasta, a meat dish and a dessert. They even let us substitute my starter and my husband's meat dish for other options on the menu. They welcomed us with a complementary glass of Prosecco which was very nice. The food was very good and even though I might have had better food in fine restaurants in Paris or even home in Toronto, it was the best food we had in Umbria and at a much lower cost (45 euros for the meal and 18 euros for the accompanying wines)

I would recommend this restaurant for a travel experience and a meal in one.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Louisville, Colorado, United States
“Bevagna Treasure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

As hostess of a recent two-week culinary and wine tour of Umbria, I booked lunch for my group of 16 at the much-applauded Redibis Restaurant, part of the Orto degli Angeli Hotel in Bevagna. Housed in the remains of a Roman amphitheater, this remarkable restaurant (which also hosts cooking classes) offered us exciting and innovative menu choices that were enthusiastically received by the entire group. On a trip that included innumerable wonderful gastronomical experiences, Redibis was stellar. Don't get me started on the Tiramisu! One can only imagine what dinner must be like in this vaulted setting, lit by chandeliers and candles - but that will have to wait until next year!

• Visited May 2013
London
“A "historic" experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Bavagna is a delightful Romanesque town with links to the past visible at almost every turning. The setting for Ristorante Redibis is delightful - tunnels under the old Roman Amphitheatre - delightfully cool when the temperature outside is nudging up towards 40 deg. C. An air of cool set in Romanesque grandure!!!
Menu is not particularly Umbrian but the presentation and quality of the food is excellent. Our welcome was warm and inviting, likewise Service throughout.
A most enjoyable first dining experience at Ristorants Redibis and definitely not the last.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Oxfordshire
“Super - you couldn't fail to be impressed by the combination of simply stunning food and the historic setting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

Everything fresh and seasonal, unusual combinations, fantastic service, great wine. This was our second visit to this restaurant - believing it couldn't equal our first visit. Boy! were we wrong. The menu was difficult because I wanted to try everything! In the end, I opted to start with a special which was not on the menu - a poached or coddled egg sitting in a parmesan sauce and laced with shaved truffles - heavenly. I followed this with a pasta in a duck ragu - delicious. Unfortunately, my eyes are bigger than my tummy and I couldn't finish the exquisite pork dish I'd ordered to follow, though I did try. Our son had a veal dish cooked to his precise 'molto, molto sangue' requirements - and then helped finish my pork dish! I couldn't join our fellow diners with pudding - an interesting take on trifle that all who had it pronounced to be perfect. A glass of prosecco for me and good sagrantino wine for everyone else made for a perfect lunch in a perfect tiny village.
A quite extraordinary restaurant that you shouldn't miss if you're in the area.

• Visited July 2013