I stayed at this hotel in February 2013 while attending a conference.
It has a magnificent facade - it looks fabulous from the outside - and is rather nice inside, as well. It's on a grand scale, as befits a 'Granhotel' - speculation by one of our party that the family of the original builder may have died out because he could never find his wife's bedroom...
My room was pretty magnificent and even had a telephone by the toilet! Very handy if you run out of loo roll.
But strangely it was not warm - the heating had not been turned up. Once I found out how to do it, all was well but it was a slightly jarring experience - wonderful furnishings in a sumptuous room and seeing one's breath hanging in the air! Food was from the standard menu and was fine. Breakfast was OK - the sausages were as good as one would expect in Germany although they seemed to have prepared the bacon to American tastes: crispy to the point of disintegrating as soon as you looked at them.
An astonishing situation in an expensive hotel - there was NO Wi-Fi in the bedrooms, although they said it was being fitted during March. You could get 30 minutes' free Wi-Fi in the Reception area but if you wanted all-day access, you had to pay for it - @ €17. Come off it, guys, I pay less than that per month for my home connection, including Wi-Fi. That's a bit cheapskate: you get a better deal at Travelodge.
Anyway, overall: a pleasant interlude in a wonderful setting. It looks great and the view out of the bedrooms windows is generally fabulous. Sort out the minor niggles that really should be beneath a grand hotel and you will have a memorable offer.
- Also Known As:
- Grandhotel Schloss Bensberg Hotel Bergisch Gladbach
- Grandhotel Schloss Bensberg Hotel
- Grandhotel Schloss Bensberg Cologne
- Grandhotel Schloss Bensberg Hotel Cologne
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled in beautiful surroundings with a wonderful view of Cologne Cathedral lies one of the most beautiful baroque castles in Europe - the Grandhotel Schloss Bensberg. All of the amenities expected of a first class hotel await you here: a unique atmosphere, 3 Michelin-star cuisine from the Best Chef from Germany Joachim Wissler at Restaurant Vendôme, italian flair and cuisine in our Trattoria Enoteca with wine shop and generous Wellness treatments in our Beauty&Spa. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Splendia, Priceline, Tingo, Travelocity, Escapio, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Venere, Agoda and Otel so you can book your Althoff Grandhotel Schloss Bensberg reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.