“Warm welcome and exceptional stay” 5 of 5 stars

You added Buttercross Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
Buttercross Bed and Breakfast
Market Place, Abbots Bromley, Rugeley WS15 3BS, England   |
london
“Warm welcome and exceptional stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

Sharon is an absolute pleasure as a host and was extremely helpful and welcoming when I came for a one night stay. The room was beautiful, tidy and comfortable with all of the facilities you could want including a very good shower. The bed was perfect and sent me into a satisfying sleep. I think what really sets this place apart from the other B and B's that I have stayed at previously are the little touches. Home made banoffee muffins waiting for me in the breakfast room (and packed away into a carry away case for me to take on my way!), emergency toothbrush and toiletries available for the absentminded and many others. The breakfast was superb and set me up for a great days work up at the Freedom Brewery for which I can recommend as a good day out! All in all I can not recommend this perfect little place more and I just can not wait to go back soon 10 / 10 for Sharon!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Sharon E, Owner at Buttercross Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Thank you for your very kind review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and that you slept well in the comfortable bed. The emergency buckets are there just in case you forget your toothbrush or other item! I hope you enjoyed your take away muffins!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Middlesex, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

I booked all three rooms at Buttercross B&B for a 3-night stay in November. I called Sharon to discuss our stay as myself and family planned to stay in the area to both celebrate my Mum’s 70th birthday and to be close to my sister who was due to give birth around the same time. As we wanted to book all three rooms we had the house to ourselves. Sharon offered us the place on a self catering basis but as we had read about her superb breakfasts we decided to stay on a bed and breakfast basis!

Staying at Buttercross B&B made a special time even better. It was like having our own place with the additional luxuries of freshly baked cakes and biscuits appearing by magic when we were out (ignore the previous comment regarding stale cakes - Sharon bakes afresh each day and it is delicious). The B&B is an old property and as Sharon makes clear on the website, the ceilings may be low in places and some stairs steep. HOWEVER, this is what gives the place such character. We stayed in the Bromley room which was well appointed, very comfortable and had plenty of room with a day bed as well. The bathroom was a little snug but the shower was excellent with plenty of hot water.

The other rooms are similarly well equipped. Mum had the Buttercross room which is on the first floor and so a little easier to access. Sharon is very flexible and came in each morning to prepare the dining area (which doubles as a sitting room at other times of the day). Breakfast was excellent and especially so as the six of us often had different breakfast options. The vegetarian choice was also very good according to my sister. The tea, coffee and toast were topped up until we couldn’t eat any more!

Abbotts Bromley is a fascinating village, especially the church complete with the antlers used in the annual dance in September. Our stay was lovely and it felt like home when Mum opened her presents on her birthday in the sitting room. To top it all, my sister gave birth to my niece Isabelle at 2.00am on Mum’s birthday and my sister brought her into Buttercross B&B on her way home from the hospital - possibly the B&B’s youngest visitor at 15-hours old?

To summarise, this is an individual BB with character and Sharon is an excellent host who does her best to accommodate all requests. We had a very comfortable and enjoyable stay and I am sure this will be our base in the future when we come up to Staffordshire to visit my sister.

Room Tip: Buttercross room is on the first floor and a little more accessible if mobility is an issue
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review Buttercross. It was a pleasure having you and your family stay. It is great when the whole place is occupied by one family or group of friends as everyone gathers in the breakfast room/lounge to enjoy tea and cakes or to celebrate with a glass of wine or just chat and watch tv. It is just so nice to see Buttercross being used in this way. I am glad you enjoyed the cakes and biscuits - I enjoy baking so it's a pleasure for me to provide them. How amazing that the first grand child was born on grandmas 70th birthday. Pretty special all round! It's just a shame I didn't get to meet my youngest visitor! Hope to see you soon.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

Stayed here Saturday 25th January 2014. Lovely lady greeted us and the room with ensuite was clean and nicely decorated. The en-suite was a little it of a squeeze, however the attention to detail on extra items in the bathroom was very much appreciated. The biscuits left in the room were a bit stale but we enjoyed the cake and selection of beverages. The breakfast was amazing and the village so beautiful. We had a lovely meal in the The Goats Head and highly recommend it. We did not sleep that well but I don't think anyone sleeps as well as they do in their own bed. Yes would stay again but please change the pictures in the Bromley room they are not in keeping with the room. Thank you for being a great host.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Sharon E, Owner at Buttercross Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
Thank you for your comments and it is good to see that you will still return even with the issues raised. To the points raised I would say that I am so disappointed that you mentioned that the biscuits in your room were stale because I always bake fresh cookies for my new guests. They were a new recipe of 'Soft Apricot & Almond Cookies' and they are not my favourites. I am glad you enjoyed the cake and breakfast on offer.
The two pictures in Bromley are of local scenes. One a gargoyle and one of a scene from the church gate. Maybe you found the gargoyle a bit scary?!
Barnard Castle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

We stayed for a night on the way to visit friends in January. Sharon is an excellent hostess and the accommodation joins a very positive and selective list of "places we will return to..someday when we get the time..!".
The village is a beautiful place to stroll around and we had an evening meal in a local pub....
Sharon bakes almost everyday so don't expect to lose any pounds during your stay... We were fed copious amounts of delicious lemon butterfly cakes and chocolate brownies on the house...and the full breakfast was to die for.... Would especially recommend Sharon's house special breakfast.... This is an eggs Benedict, spinach, bacon, eggy yum yum...my wife loved it.
Special mention for the "emergency bucket" in the bathroom... Such a simple idea worthy of note - you will see what it is when you get there...!!
Well done Buttercross B&B and Sharon.
Mark and Kerry xx

Room Tip: Book early...!!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you Mark and Kerry for your amazing comments. I am so pleased that you enjoyed all my baking including my becoming famous breakfast special! It is a pleasure for me to provide all these goodies for my guests. The emergency bucket is a great idea which is why I continue to have it in all the rooms - only wish it had been my idea!
Norwich
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

My son and I booked in because we were fishing on Blithfield reservoir a few miles down the road. When we booked I explained we were arriving by train and did they know a taxi company, Sharon kindly offered to meet us by car from the station. She also said they would take us to the reservoir the following day.
On arrival we were shown to two lovely rooms with compact and beautifully warm bathrooms. The bathrooms contained emergency supplies of razors, gel , toothpaste etc...all the things I forget!
The shower was luxurious and the televisions in the rooms worked instantly.
Alas I overslept but breakfast was served promptly and two boiled eggs were delicious despite my being 30 minutes late. Sharon then offered to make my son and I packed lunches at 15 minutes notice.

This was services that was above and beyond the call of duty, elegantly delivered and with a completely personal yet professional touch.

Top of my list for a revisit

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your lovely comments. We are more than happy to pick people up from the station and drop you off at local venues. We sometimes even pick people up who cant quite make it to the end of their walk! Picnic hampers can be provided for your day out with prior arrangement. However we can always manage a small picnic at short notice if needed.
Cornwall, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

We stayed here for two nights in August, whilst visiting relatives nearby. Sharon made us feel very welcome, and the room (Buttercross) was very clean and comfortable. The breakfast room was lovely, as was our breakfast. We've recommended Buttercross to all our friends, and will certainly be making a return visit. Parking was outside the door, but in a lay-by, so not on the main road. There were two Pubs in the same square as Buttercross, so no problem with meals and drinks etc.
All in all a great place to stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Sharon E, Owner at Buttercross Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Thank you for your great comments. It means a lot to know that our guests are enjoying their stay with us. There are four pubs in total in the village all within walking distance and a great Indian so you are quite right finding somewhere to eat and drink is not a problem. We look forward to hosting your friends when they visit!
bury
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for just the one night to be near the Staffordshire showground for the classic bike show . What a little gem, this is the best B and B we have every stayed in ,we had a comfy king size bed , bathrobes, and soft and fluffy white towels ,if you didn't fancy a shower there is a bathroom with a large bath that can be used as.well , there was also a little tea trolley with homemade cookies and a selection of teas and coffees and hot chocolate in our room , also fresh milk and bottled water in a small fridge in the breakfast room , breakfast was plentiful and very tasty with plenty of choices , and you could also finish of with some homemade cakes , nothing was to much trouble for our host Sharon who made you feel at home . I was debating whether to review this one as I want to keep it a secret !!!!!!!!

• Stayed October 2013
Thank you for your amazing review. It looks like Buttercross ticked a lot of boxes for you! I am so glad that you really enjoyed staying with us for your visit to the Staffordshire show ground. It was a pleasure to have you stay and hopefully we will see you again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Abbots Bromley
Colton House
Colton House
#1 of 10 in Rugeley
5.0 of 5 stars 259 reviews

Been to Buttercross Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!